cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair IV Formula Problems

DaemonCantor
Level 13
OK chrsplmr here it is...

1) Every time I loos power or have to unplug the system I have to hit the Go button just to boot and have to redo all of my Bios settings or I just get a red CPU and Memory LED's, also set at 1600 my memory is only clocking 1300 reading from AMD Overdrive.

2) PCI-E and PCI slot addressing problem....Video card in Slot #3(16x) is reading and working as PCI-E #1 AND PCI-E #1 is reading as PCI-E#2(supposed to be 8x only) can't start on Card in Slot 1 only see the Monitor on Card in Slot #3 after full boot into windows do all 3 monitors power up. and Temp in Bios of the Northbridge chip is around 40c after boot Northbridge shoots up to 56c and bounces between 56c and 60c. Doesn't matter whether I use ATI Cards or nVidia cards.

3)Sound Problems....I get No Hardware Detected when trying to update the X-Fi software and only Halo 1 do I get EAX options no other game will allow it even with Alchemy...I get a lot of Static and Popping listening to music on my Desktop Speakers but it stops when I plug in the Headphones...I know it's not the speakers because I've tried them on other systems.

4) Can't use AHCI for the hard drives at all, the drives vanish from Bios.

Well can this be solved or am I kicking a dead Horse?
38 REPLIES 38

Area_66
Level 11
1) Replace your battery
2) this look like a normal behavior as my Maximus Extreme Z do the same , so I connect my principal monitor on the second GPU, as for the 2 others monitors powering in Windows only , that's the way it's supose to work, they call it extend desktop.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Thank you Markedone I didn't know the PCI-E problem was normal and yes I've already replaced the Battery because I thought it might just be an older Mobo or the Battery could have been bad but that didn't help...

As to the Monitors powering up after I'm in Windows...on my Gigabyte system they all power up at boot just don't show anything till I get to the login screen.

chrsplmr
Level 18
This board came back from a RMA and tested 'OK'?
It is still under warranty?
I have read through loads of IV threads, as I am sure
you have...I dont see this video issue.. (which even if
I were as dumb as a rock) would say to me that This
board has an issue.
I was thinking one of the cards, until you said, either ati or nvidia.
No wonder this makes ya sick....this horse just can't be dead.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
chrsplmr, No it's a different serial number so I would imagine it's a new board since when I RMA'd the first it was only less that 24h's since I received it. Next it better be under warranty considering it is supposed to have a 3 year warranty and it's only a month and a half that I've had it....but then again with what I've gotten from Tech Support I wouldn't bet on anything since there's 2 newer models out...Which I wished I had known before I put this on Lay-a-Way(2 months into it and they come out with the Crosshair V...to late for me). Yes I've read as much of the Post's I can find...but I see no mention of the AHCI Problem or the Sound Problem....I did see one of the Video problems but it wasn't what I had. I was extremely excited when I got this board....it was the first really high-end board for me other than a Macintosh of which I have 3 (a G3 B&W, a G4 Gigabyte, and a G5 Mirrored Drive Door/Wind Tunnel) but that excited feeling left pretty quickly into sorrow and dismay....

Raja
Level 13
Might be worth listing all parts here plus the BIOS version you are using.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Ok here's what I have,
Crosshair IV Formula MoBo Bios 1902
2 Patriot PSD34G16002H 8gig x 2 @1600 w/Heatspreaders
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black CPU
EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+ 512 x 2
EVGA 9600GSO 1.5gig (Physics)
Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5 Terabyte x3 in Raid 1+0
LG DVR Super Multi
LG BD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Tested Video Problems with ATI 6850 x2 in Crossfire with same results no 9600 in this config(keeps Blue Screening)
Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000
Logitech LX3 Mouse
HP 2159m Monitor x 2
Chimei 22" LCD for number 3 monitor
Samsung ML1710 Laser Printer
Lexmark X4875 All in one Printer
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Surround
Unknown Case Maker but it has HD Front Panel Audio connections and USB3 Edit It's an Apex Case with upgraded Front panel and Side Panel...
Also I forgot to list my Power Supply...Cool Power Gamer 980 watt Modular.

I hope this is enough to get started.

Raja
Level 13
Ok,

1) Use CPU-Z's memory tab to check the memory frequency. If you have set DDR3-1600 in BIOS then it will read DDR3-800 in CPU-Z. The caveat to running DDR3-1600 on some CPUs is that they require elevated memory controller voltages and relaxed memory timings to be stable - this is likely your problem. What I would do in your case is use the easy memory setup guide for the CVF. You may need higher than 1.20V CPU/NB voltage for your CPU.

2) Sounds like some kind of OS/software error rather than hardware. These kind of issues can sometimes need a complete reinstall.

3) When does the popping occur? When playing sounds or just continuous static noise??

4) Sounds odd, if the HDDs are in RAID - you have RAID enabled in BIOS right? Are you trying to run them as single drives now?

-Raja

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Now that I'm back up after a crash... Thank you Raja for your help here's the screens of CPUz I got then just before the crash:

The Popping is all of the time..

Yes the HD's are in RAID at the moment and yes RAID is selected in BIOS...I double checked as I was restarting.

DaemonCantor wrote:
Now that I'm back up after a crash... Thank you Raja for your help here's the screens of CPUz I got then just before the crash:

The Popping is all of the time..

Yes the HD's are in RAID at the moment and yes RAID is selected in BIOS...I double checked as I was restarting.

The DRAM is operating at DDR3-1333 because i think your system is dropping into safe mode due to instability. The fix for this is to set the DRAM up so that it is stable. And yes remove the processor overclock as this may the cause of your issue - the system is not properly setup for that frequency. Always start at stock.

As for AHCI, you may need to disassemble the RAID array via the RAID OROM and remove any header information. This may need a low level format.

-Raja