cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push pull setup question

Veracis
Level 7
I have a Seidon 120V closed loop cooler. It comes with an ok fan. I was planning on purchasing two of these fans to put push pull on the radiator.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

My questions are...

What type of adapter do I need to buy to put these together into my CPU_OPT fan controller on M6H mobo.
Where can i get screws long enough to go through Case -> Fan -> Radiator. Or am i doing it wrong?
I have never setup a push pull before.
i7-4770k @4.2 | EVGA 780ti | Maximus VI Hero | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | Seidon 120v AIO
Trident X 16GB 2400 | Samsung EVO 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | CM 690 III

Logitech G400 Mouse | G710 Keyboard | Razor gaming headset
ROG Swift pg278q G-Sync Monitor
41 REPLIES 41

Antronman
Level 10
Veracis wrote:
I have a Seidon 120V closed loop cooler. It comes with an ok fan. I was planning on purchasing two of these fans to put push pull on the radiator.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

My questions are...

What type of adapter do I need to buy to put these together into my CPU_OPT fan controller on M6H mobo.
Where can i get screws long enough to go through Case -> Fan -> Radiator. Or am i doing it wrong?
I have never setup a push pull before.

Push Pull is useless. 1 C lower at best.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:

Depends on the fans:

If your fans are the proper flow/pressure for your radiator, then yeah - I haven't seen much difference.

However, if you have cheap, crap fans (like I have on my 240x120 rad cooling the CPU being used for math research), then push/pull can make a huge difference. I saw an improvement of between 5 ºC and 8 ºC, depending on the stage of computation.

As I understand it, the manufacturers select the best type of fan for their radiators - the NF-F12s would probably only help if your radiator has really dense fins and the manufacturer put crummy fans in the package.

Antronman wrote:

That depends on multiple things…

For push-pull you want the same fans working together in order to get the max performance out of them… but the airflow in and around your system will actually determine the overall cooling performance...

Veracis
Level 7
Ok so use the fan that came with the cooler. it isnt bad really. I currently have it mounted as an intake. Case > Rad > Fan. Should i make it Case > Fan > Rad? And if so, how do i get a screw long enough?
i7-4770k @4.2 | EVGA 780ti | Maximus VI Hero | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | Seidon 120v AIO

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
If you set it up such that the fans are mounted between the case and rad, then it's easy. Use the big plastic-cutting fan screws.

If you want to try a push/pull config anyway, I'd start with a second pair of the same fans that came with it (four identical fans) before trying other types. Make sure all of your fans are identical, whatever the setup (unless you're trying a cyclic setup, where each fan pair is either pushing air in or pulling air out - it actually works pretty well on the correct radiator type - I try weird things sometimes).

Veracis
Level 7
Thanks!

kkn
Level 14
you need the same screws if your doing push/pull as you all ready have. ( where the fan is screwed in to the rad )
just be carefull so you dont puncture the rad becouse then you will have to buy a new unit ( no RMA om things you break your self ).

Veracis
Level 7
Here is my current setup.

Here is my Proposed setup.

1) Is it worth putting the 120mm fan between the radiator and case?
2) Which setup would you recommend?
3) Would it be worth it to put a 120mm fan inside the case blowing front to rear across the graphics card

canguder
Level 7
Normally hot air flow out from top.The top fans must give the air out not in. The push pull makes little difference like 2C-3C . The main thing is you got the right flow in your case.If you got fan slot on the left door make it flow in.
CPU: INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
AIR COOLER : ZALMAN CNPS14X
MOTHERBOARD : ASUS Z87 DELUXE-DUAL
RAM : GSKILL TRIDENT 2X8GB+2X4GB 2400 MHZ (24GB TOTAL)
GRAPHICS : ZOTAC NVIDIA GEOFORCE GTX 780
SSD DRIVES : 2X SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB
HDD DRIVES : 4X3TB HDD , 4X1TB HDD , 2X2TB HDD - 12TB FIRMWARE RAID+8TB FIRM+SOFT RAID
CASE : AEROSTRIKE X ST
POWER SUPPLY : SEASONIC G-750 80PLUS
FANS : 9X120MM COOLER MASTER LED , 8X140MM XIGMATEK , 1X200MM AEROCOOL , 1X200MM COOLER MASTER , 1X120MM AEROCOOL