Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first rig (GAMING), is this good?

Easy_Dawg
Level 7
Budget: [$3500
Main uses of intended build: Gaming in ultra high setting
Will you be overclocking:YES using ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel if it will be release in the market
Extra information about desired system: Quiet as possible, No temperature problem in any component, Watercooled
Purchase Time: DECEMBER 2014 All of it
Cooling: I do not know what radiator, how many radiator or additional fan and also where to put the radiators
Peripherals: Corsair K70 Cherry MX RED, Steelseries siberia elite and H Wireless, Razer Deathadder 2013

Motherboard:ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA

Processor: INTEL CORE i7 4770 3.4-3.9Ghz (QUAD CORE) HASWELL

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 4x8gb ddr3 1600 CL9

Power supply: Corsair RM 1000watts (RM1000M) 80Plus Gold, Fully Modular

GPU: MATRIX-GTX780TI-P-3GD5, MATRIX-GTX780TI-P-3GD5 (2- way SLI)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250gb sata
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Case: Corsair 760T ARCTIC WHITE

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

OPTIONAL: ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel for overclocking
9 REPLIES 9

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
IMO, I would knock down the RAM to 16GB, I'm currently building a system with very similar specs, and will have it liquid cooled. I was going to go with 32 GB of RAM, but decided not to, I'm really not going to use it (I'm building a gaming / music / home office rig). Plus, I can always add it later if needed. Also, look at other brands of memory, I'm using G.SKILL Trident X at 2133 which will still run at CL9.

If you're going to liquid cool the MB, be sure to use an anti corrosive additive, as the Formula VI has aluminum internals.

With that case, it looks like you could mount a 240mm rad up top and a 240mm rad in front, you're going to want some top quality fans with a good CFM rate to push air out though, as a front mounted rad will most likely be bringing air IN, and then blowing hot air out the rad into the PC, so you'll want good exit fans to expel that hot air.

One more note, you only have 3 5.25 bays in that case, leaving you only one after the Front Panel is installed. You will also lose the on board headphone and mic jack, as well as one of the USB ports I believe, with the installation of the Front Panel.

😄 😄

jab383
Level 13
Hi, Easy Dawg

Your description brings up a few observations.

1. If your buy date is Dec 2014, now is a little early to be listing down to this level of detail. First example is that Haswell Refresh CPUs will be coming out in the summer, unlocked versions in the fall and the extreme edition Devils Canyon should be our later in 2014. The same is true for the fast-moving world of video cards, although you're up to date with matrix.

2. If you intend to overclock, you need the unlocked version of the CPU. Intel CPUs without X or K in the part number have limited range of core clock multipliers and cannot be effectively overclocked. If you were buying now, you would need a Core i7 4770K. By December, that will change as noted above. You will definitely want the newer CPU in which Intel promises better TIM in order to reduce the heat problems you are concerned about.

3. I have a disagreement with many over fully modular power supplies. Connectors - plugs and sockets - have been a recurring source of trouble over my 40-year carreer. I try to avoid them when possible. Modular cables, however, can be left out when not needed, which keeps the build clean and avoids restricting air flow. The motherboard will always require a 24-pin multi-voltage cable and an 8-pin 12v cable. Modular connections for those two cables are liabilities with no redeeming value. My opinion is that a semi-modular PSU such as Corsair HX is the better tradeoff.

4. Corsair Dominator RAM is costly and many think it does not return real value. I suggest you look into g. skill Trident X. Look for an XMP speed rating higher than the base speed you note. Speed around 2133 or 2400 should go well with the mild overclock that would be free of temperature problems and cost around the same as Dominator 1600. Later in the year, DDR4 RAM will be a whole new world.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
3. I have a disagreement with many over fully modular power supplies. Connectors - plugs and sockets - have been a recurring source of trouble over my 40-year carreer. I try to avoid them when possible. Modular cables, however, can be left out when not needed, which keeps the build clean and avoids restricting air flow. The motherboard will always require a 24-pin multi-voltage cable and an 8-pin 12v cable. Modular connections for those two cables are liabilities with no redeeming value. My opinion is that a semi-modular PSU such as Corsair HX is the better tradeoff.

Nah, in the last 5 years I've been using only modular PSUs - none of them had that connector issue… and I have used quite a bit of PSUs…

The only advice with PSUs is to not try to save money on them - they're the heart of your system… if they go wrong, they can take other components too… Just go with a reliable one, maybe around 120W with 2x graphics and water-cooling components...

Gunslinger
Level 7
I agree that if you're looking to purchase/build 8 months from now its way too early to be spec'ing out parts as hardware releases and refreshes are imminent, for both CPU's and GPU's

I'd highly recommend 2x8GB of higher speed RAM instead of 4x8. I'd target something between 2400MHz and 2666MHz

canguder
Level 7
16 gb ram will work for you. But if you plan rendering , video editing , architectural drawings etc. go for 32 gb ram with 2400 mhz. The other
equipments are very good.
CPU: INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
AIR COOLER : ZALMAN CNPS14X
MOTHERBOARD : ASUS Z87 DELUXE-DUAL
RAM : GSKILL TRIDENT 2X8GB+2X4GB 2400 MHZ (24GB TOTAL)
GRAPHICS : ZOTAC NVIDIA GEOFORCE GTX 780
SSD DRIVES : 2X SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB
HDD DRIVES : 4X3TB HDD , 4X1TB HDD , 2X2TB HDD - 12TB FIRMWARE RAID+8TB FIRM+SOFT RAID
CASE : AEROSTRIKE X ST
POWER SUPPLY : SEASONIC G-750 80PLUS
FANS : 9X120MM COOLER MASTER LED , 8X140MM XIGMATEK , 1X200MM AEROCOOL , 1X200MM COOLER MASTER , 1X120MM AEROCOOL

kkn
Level 14
the MHZ and amount of ram always comes down to the IHS and how it can handle it.
so from 2133 - 2400MHZ is my recomendation.

for each OC'd component you need 2x fan slots of radiator space.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Purchase Time... December 2014. Wait until Black Friday when they all run the crazy deals and there's new products out inc. possible new sockets and boards. It might be better to wait to ask this forum until then on some of the core parts.

Also, I have my grad degree in Electrical Engineering. To the person with the modular connector disagreement, I will agree with you about the modular connections as an un-needed point of failure however most good PSUs today use quality connectors and carry a 7 to 10 year warranty. The HX series from Corsair is "meh" in a High-End build. You can use a modular connector power supply nowadays. They have fixed their issues they used to have about 10 years ago.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Please don't buy an RM series Corsair. It's made by CWT and has zero professional ratings on it. Please get a Seasonic/Seasonic Rebrand or on e of the new eVGA SuperNOVA's. There is a large cheat sheet if you want to know who makes what and it's here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
Please don't buy an RM series Corsair. It's made by CWT and has zero professional ratings on it. Please get a Seasonic/Seasonic Rebrand or on e of the new eVGA SuperNOVA's. There is a large cheat sheet if you want to know who makes what and it's here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

I can attest to EVGA SuperNova, high quality components and a 10 year Warranty to back it up.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601