cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem booting my ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

Rod_Suarez
Level 7
Hello,

I have a problem booting my new ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME motherboard. The power is connected, the start and reset buttons are lit but the bios will not display on the monitor. I didn't even get the regular "beep" when you start the computer. Has anyone run into this problem before? I am frustrated and do not know how to fix it. It is worth pointing out that the power button on the case is not turning on either. It is almost as if the mobo is not pumping power into the case's power/reset/hd buttons. These are my specs:

ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7-4770K - presently at stock 3500 GHz.
G-Skill 2X8 GB - Ripjaws X series - F3-2133C9D-16GXH (2133 Mhz)
Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW
WD 1TB Black
EVGA GTX-770 - 4Gb - 04G-P4-3778-KR
Corsair AX860 (860W) - ATX12V
Cooler Master Storm Trooper (Black) case
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Rod 🙂

Is this a new build or is this a working build that has stopped working. Are the front power button etc. connected correctly to the Qconnector? Irf you disconnect the Qconnector can you start with the onboard power button Do you have all the required ATX power connections firmly seated...24pin and 8pin

RAM fitted in correct slots?

Rod_Suarez
Level 7
Thanks for answering.

"Is this a new build or is this a working build that has stopped working."

This is a new build. Every part is new.

Are the front power button etc. connected correctly to the Qconnector? Irf you disconnect the Qconnector can you start with the onboard power button

I followed the instructions in the manual on how to connect the front power button. I have not tried to disconnect the Qconnector and start with the onboard power button. I will try to do this, thank you.

Do you have all the required ATX power connections firmly seated...24pin and 8pin

I tested them and they all seem properly connected. I also assume they are properly connected since the board is powering up (i.e., the board's lights turn on).

It is worth mentioning that I pressed and held down the button (for at least 10 seconds) to reset the BIOS and nothing happened. The manual said it was suposed to

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry forgot this...do you have the 4pin ATX connected too? Check the contacts inside the cables to make sure there are no pins that are short or missing or skewed...both ends..The lights will come on even if the board is not fully powered.

Is the board mounted on the correct number of standoffs with nothing touching the back of the board etc.

Generally go round checking all connections....maybe reducing unneeded peripheral connections etc. make sure RAM is well seated in recommended slots that kind of thing.

If nothing works get the board out onto it's box and try again there....

Thank you for the great advice. I will try that. I'll keep you posted. I will probably answer until tomorrow, as may not have access to my rig today.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, first to check are the power connectors! Make sure that all of them are connected and that actually your PSU works… - maybe try another PSU...

How can I test whether my PSU (Corsair AX860 (860W) - ATX12V) is working properly? I assumed it was because the board was lighting up, so it is getting power. One thing that i did not mention was that the PSU's fan did not turn on (i.e., spin) when the PSU was working. I figured that it turns on only when its hot so I did not think much of it. Is the PSU's fan supposed to be on everytime the PSU is working?

Zka17
Level 16
The simplest way is to try that PSU on an other system… or try an another PSU on your system…

There are also PSU testers, but if you're not planning to built PCs too often than they don't worth to invest in them…

Maybe some of your friends or a PC shop can test your PSU for you...

Thanks guys for all your help. Sorry it took so long to get back, but work has been murder. In any case, I resolved my issue. I still do not understand how, but this is what I did:

1) I took your advice and checked all the cable plugs,
2) The ASUS mobo instructions state that you should connect the 24 pin power connector (to the right of the CPU socket) and connect both the 8-pin and 4-pin power connectors (to the left of the CPU socket). Well, while testing I connected the 24-pin power connector and the 4-pin power connector only, leaving the 8-pin power connector unhooked and the MOBO worked perfectly (or maybe it was the 24-pin + the 4 pin? I don't recall exactly, but one of the two).
3) The MOBO is now working and performing as advertised. Amazing, I love it.

Thanks for all your help.