cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent. Is the G74 a reliable notebook?

Retired
Not applicable
Hello.

I will be brief with this dilemma. A couple of weeks ago I was completely certain about buying this laptop, but just some minutes ago I stumbled upon a thread where many users were claiming to be having issues with their G74.

This laptop is adequate to my needs, so that is besides the point. I need to buy a laptop urgently and I'm on a rush right now. This is one of my main options.

I want this laptop to last me at least three years, and I would like to know if it's reliable equipment. I'm mostly afraid of issues that have no way around them that could cripple up the machine. I don't live in the US, so I cannot afford the luxury of receiving faulty equipment because I'm doubtful about international warranty.

What are the main problems with the G74?
Did you experience problems right out of the box?
Did you have to return it?

Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

G74sxpoo
Level 9
NO. The keypad is all messed up. It may seem like a small thing, but TRUST ME you will get bitten by it when you need it.

ASUS *says* its fixed buy way to many people do not have keypad mappings for apps and games.

TILL ITS FIXED DON'T BUY AN ASUS.

Plus the official method of flashing your BIOS will break your laptop REQUIRING it to RMAd for repair.

The G74SX is a joke. Its 2011 and problems like this should not be happening.

G74sxpoo wrote:
NO. The keypad is all messed up. It may seem like a small thing, but TRUST ME you will get bitten by it when you need it.

ASUS *says* its fixed buy way to many people do not have keypad mappings for apps and games.

TILL ITS FIXED DON'T BUY AN ASUS.

Plus the official method of flashing your BIOS will break your laptop REQUIRING it to RMAd for repair.

The G74SX is a joke. Its 2011 and problems like this should not be happening.

Strange, I updated by BIOS to 202 with no problem whatsoever.

Obviously there are going to be people out there with problems, but that's the case with every laptop. None of them are flawless and, honestly, ASUS is one brand I've bought and trusted for decades. You could buy an Alienware m17 with the same specs...for twice the money.

Not every one has problems with their G74, and being the internet/forums, people seek out places to ask about problems or vent and that being the case forums such as these aren't always a good barometer of what the majority of users experience.

To the OP, I do understand being outside the US it can be a royal pain and wanting to get a good, solid platform. Question is, if not the G74 then what would you get? What are you going to use it for?
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

G74sxpoo wrote:

Seriously? I updated my BIOS with no problems whatsoever, and this is my first Windows machine ever, having always used Macs. So... no. :rolleyes:

I love my machine (G74SX-A1), and recommend it highly.

Yahooligan
Level 7
You've got 2 threads going with the same title, you may want to delete the other. 😉

Reading here, some people have had issues after performing a BIOS update, others have had issues upgrading to SSDs...

Personally, mine was awesome out of the box. As typical, I checked for updated drivers on ASUS' website and made sure everything was up to date. I've had zero problems with mine, it's been awesome and is easily the best PC I've owned. Granted, I've only had it a couple of weeks but it's been flawless in that time and it's my primary PC. I use it for Photoshop/Lightroom, gaming, and general work productivity (MS Office). I'd definitely buy one again.

I also purchased an extended warranty from Squaretrade, great price.
--
Yahooligan

Your numpad is working as a numpad? You have a numlock? Any $10 keyboard has that solved. These $1500+ laptops do not. I'd like to return mine but its been to long.

G74sxpoo wrote:
Your numpad is working as a numpad? You have a numlock? Any $10 keyboard has that solved. These $1500+ laptops do not. I'd like to return mine but its been to long.

Yes, I'm typing on the laptop keyboard right now. Here's the output from my keypad...

0.123456+789/*-

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I know what you're talking about, there not being a numlock button. I never use my keypad for gaming so I don't have a problem with being unable to turn it on or off.
--
Yahooligan

Yes, Windows assigned every key a code. A generic $10 keyboard had different codes for the numbers across the top and the numbers that make up the numpad digits. So then you play a game or map a macro in an application the keypress for the number '1' at the top of the keyboard is DIFFERENT than the code sent then your press the '1' on the keypad. Right now most people cannot use the keypad to do anything useful because the G74SX POS only returns one code (the code from the top of the keypad) for BOTH keys.

Its a HUGE issue to people who use laptops for more than email and surfing (and games). I have a dozen of macros that I cannot use in office because the numpad keycode i s not being generated.

Retired
Not applicable
numpad "issue" has never botered me. nor did I notice it in any way. I get that it causes you frustration but to a user like me i havent noticed it once.

that being said, i had an issue with high latency on the laptop but that was - in the end - easily fixed. i love the way it runs, cools and renders games. not to mention the way it looks. its awesome

In my case it's a great piece of hardware. BUT you need to update a few drivers or you will have problems. There's also some bloatware you'll want to uninstall.

Besides that, it's an AWESOME laptop, IMHO.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com