cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! BF 4 - DirectX error!

Jens_Haumann
Level 8
Hi! I've just bought this brand new and awesome g750JX.

However, when I try to play Battlefield 4 I constantly get this error message and the game crashes.

The error message says: DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M", Driver: 33523

I have done a comprehensive amount of troubleshooting along with technicians from both Electronic Arts, and Nvidia. However, we've ended up with no results, and I am becoming a bit desperate soon.

Some of the troubleshooting steps include creating a new admin account for new user registry files, I have reinstalled both old, new and beta graphic drivers, and I have even tried praying for the last few evenings. (I have tried alot more, also) But all in vain.

I made a fresh installation of windows a few days ago in case that would do any good, but no change, still the same error. I have come across somebody telling me it's an error that occurs due to the graphics card being overclocked from the manufacturer, and suggested I tried underclocking it. I am a bit skeptic to the fact that it is overclocked, but maybe you can clarify that question for me?

So.. Here I am. Asking for your assistance in my never-ending suffering.

Thank you so much listening!

P.S. I'll attach a screenshot of the error message in case it is in your interest to have a look at it.
14 REPLIES 14

hmscott
Level 12
Jens Haumann wrote:
Hi! I've just bought this brand new and awesome g750JX.

However, when I try to play Battlefield 4 I constantly get this error message and the game crashes.

The error message says: DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M", Driver: 33523

I have done a comprehensive amount of troubleshooting along with technicians from both Electronic Arts, and Nvidia. However, we've ended up with no results, and I am becoming a bit desperate soon.

Some of the troubleshooting steps include creating a new admin account for new user registry files, I have reinstalled both old, new and beta graphic drivers, and I have even tried praying for the last few evenings. (I have tried alot more, also) But all in vain.

I made a fresh installation of windows a few days ago in case that would do any good, but no change, still the same error. I have come across somebody telling me it's an error that occurs due to the graphics card being overclocked from the manufacturer, and suggested I tried underclocking it. I am a bit skeptic to the fact that it is overclocked, but maybe you can clarify that question for me?

So.. Here I am. Asking for your assistance in my never-ending suffering.

Thank you so much listening!

P.S. I'll attach a screenshot of the error message in case it is in your interest to have a look at it.

If you are getting errors like this, the video card might be failing in some way - heat, bad GFX chip, bad on board memory, etc. The video driver is crashing, hanging the application till it times out.

You can verify this by running other things that will cause the normal untrapped Nvidia "driver not responding error - restarted" message to show up when the Nvidia driver crashes.

furmark seems to be a good one for uncovering on the borderline flaky graphics cards, give it a run and see if you see the Nvidia driver crashing error.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If your card isn't that much on the border of failure, you can try some other benchmarks that stress the Graphics card further.

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing

Your friends' comment about under-clocking the GPU is right on, and something you can try.

If the GTX card is on the border of failure on stock settings, you can temporarily fix it by under-clocking the GPU / memory frequency, and you can use the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards to do it.

The G750JW/JX/JH has the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.5.8.3
http://support.asus.com/download.asp...s&hashedid=n/a

Set the GPU / memory clocks lower than stock, save the settings so it comes up that way next boot time. And, keep lowering until the error goes away in BF4 and/or benchmarks.

When you determine a speed that works stably, you can report this problem to Asus to get an RMA replacement for your GTX770m video card. You will need to send in your laptop to get it fixed.

Register a login and your laptop here, and file a Technical Inquiry to get give them them details, and get an RMA request going:

https://vip.asus.com

There was another guy posting on the forum that put off RMA'ing his G750 by under-clocking the GPU to get it stable enough to use the laptop.

Update: It sounded like you already were aware of the EA BF4 problems as you were working with EA directly, and probably already found this thread, but just in case check here too:

EA => Answer HQ => Battlefield => Battlefield 4 => BF4 DirectX Error, GetDeviceRemovedReason
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/BF4-DirectX-Error-GetDeviceRemovedReason/td-p/1915085

If the GPU stress tests don't show problems, and the problem is only related to BF4, then I don't know what to tell you - you have already tried everything EA / Nvidia suggested.

The only other thing I can think of is a GPU board firmware issue. You might contact Nvidia and see if there is a correlation between the firmware version you have and the failure. Working with Asus you might be able to get a GPU board firmware update.

Let us know how this works out for you!

hmscott wrote:
If you are getting errors like this, the video card might be failing in some way - heat, bad GFX chip, bad on board memory, etc. The video driver is crashing, hanging the application till it times out.

You can verify this by running other things that will cause the normal untrapped Nvidia "driver not responding error - restarted" message to show up when the Nvidia driver crashes.

furmark seems to be a good one for uncovering on the borderline flaky graphics cards, give it a run and see if you see the Nvidia driver crashing error.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Thanks for your response guys. I didn't quite understande what you wanted me to do hmscott, but I installed the furmark and ran a benchmark test. My graphics card crashed though.

I did not proceed with the next steps, you want me to do that?

Also, is the GPU overclocked from the manufacturer? (which doesn't make any sense to me anyways) Since I have hardly used my computer i am very sorry to have to tweak it to simply make my computer able to run the game.

Thanks for doublechecking on the EA link, but I have been through all of their suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Jens Haumann wrote:
Thanks for your response guys. I didn't quite understande what you wanted me to do hmscott, but I installed the furmark and ran a benchmark test. My graphics card crashed though.

I did not proceed with the next steps, you want me to do that?

Also, is the GPU overclocked from the manufacturer? (which doesn't make any sense to me anyways) Since I have hardly used my computer i am very sorry to have to tweak it to simply make my computer able to run the game.

Thanks for double checking on the EA link, but I have been through all of their suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Jens, darn, I was hoping it was a application issue, but if Furmark is causing the graphics driver to crash then you have a flaky GTX card and either need to return for a new G750 at your vendor, or pursue an RMA with Asus directly - depends on how long you have return privileges with the place you bought it.

You have already been through all the debugging steps, including a fresh recovery/install of Windows. So the only thing left was to test your Graphics card to push it to see if it fails, and it does. Be sure and include all this info for the vendor / Asus when you return / RMA your laptop.

If you can't return the laptop for a new one at the seller, register your laptop and username here, and submit a Technical Inquiry with all the background info and ask for an RMA to replace the GTX card.

http://vip.asus.com

I know it is disappointing, but once you RMA and Asus replaces the GTX card, the laptop will be awesome 🙂

I went through this with my G2S, after a few months the graphics card became flaky, and Asus replaced it for me locally - I am near the Fremont office - I don't know if you have a local Asus service center - but if you do you could ask to drop it off for repair at Will Call desk.

Let us know how it works out for you, and how long it takes to resolve.

Thanks for your response. And thank you for giving me some conclusion on this matter.

I will do the RMA as soon as it is possible, however I am in the middle of writing my bachelor thesus, so it will be a while before I can disperse of my laptop. But this discussion I will take with my local dealer and Asus service center.

kingkaan
Level 7
Don't worry about what hmscott said he likes to assume the worst. I know tons of people having this problem. go into the battlefield 4 directory go into the folder and install directx from there..i had this problem all the time i did what i was told and it's gone forever..if you google it you can find the solution there as well..bf4 is a buggy game..it likes to crash especially if you have overclocked card. But yeah if you google tons of people complaining about directx error. same exact error. well just go into your bf4 directory find directx installer and reinstall. if you overclocked much pull back a bit. might fix your problem.

kingkaan wrote:
Don't worry about what hmscott said he likes to assume the worst. I know tons of people having this problem. go into the battlefield 4 directory go into the folder and install directx from there..i had this problem all the time i did what i was told and it's gone forever..if you google it you can find the solution there as well..bf4 is a buggy game..it likes to crash especially if you have overclocked card. But yeah if you google tons of people complaining about directx error. same exact error. well just go into your bf4 directory find directx installer and reinstall. if you overclocked much pull back a bit. might fix your problem.

kingkaan, that will be great if this fixes it for him. But, he already worked directly with EA/Nvidia on this specific problem, and tried all the remedies you are suggesting.

And, your last line validated my first approach 🙂

Is this the problem of which you speak?

EA => Answer HQ => Battlefield => Battlefield 4 => BF4 DirectX Error, GetDeviceRemovedReason
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/BF4-DirectX-Error-GetDeviceRemovedReason/td-p/1915085

What link did you use to solve the problem for yourself? Please save us some time and give a direct link that informs and solves the problem, since you already have done it.

If reducing an OC can also fix the problem it looks like this "bug" can push a marginal card tuning (including stock) over the edge and crash the driver. Just the kind of thing that helps us find marginal graphics cards that need replacing, or OC's that push too hard and need to be pulled back a bit. 🙂

If you don't start somewhere, you won't solve the problem. If you can show the problem happens, or doesn't happen, in other applications, it helps narrow the field of search for a solution.

If he doesn't have a problem with other programs designed to stress test the GPU, then his GPU is ok, and he can move back to debugging with EA/Nvidia/Asus on BF4.

Running some stress tests is a good start, if you haven't done that on your laptop already. We all should take time to stress test our laptops when we get them to determine how much headroom they have - to find their limits - it makes for a solid base on which to debug problems.

i exactly did what the link you provided said and it fixed it for me..i used to get that error like everytime i played bf4...maybe it's the drivers he is on it could be driver related too. from getting that error everyday i went to not having it at all...i just reinstalled everything and installed dx from the folder inside bf4.

MISIKEX
Level 7
Hey!

Turn off xfire, steam, or other application.

And u will be able to play 😉

have a nice day!

BF4 FPS CFG By MISIKEX: http://wiwgaming.com/site/bf4-fps-cfg/#axzz2yn2j9QXU

Jens_Haumann
Level 8
Hey!

Turn off xfire, steam, or other application.

And u will be able to play

have a nice day!

BF4 FPS CFG By MISIKEX: http://wiwgaming.com/site/bf4-fps-cfg/#axzz2yn2j9QXU

I do not know what Xfire is. And I have not installed Steam, nor have I any other applications running.