cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Clean installation or doing backing up factory recovery partition?

Owens
Level 7
Hi, first I'm sorry for my poor grammar. English isn't my native language.

Last October I bought a G750JX (with a GTX 770M), but only brought a 1TB HDD to 5,200rpm. So I planning to buy a 240gb SDD (specifically a V300 kingstong's series). My question is: What's is most recomendable, do a clean installation of W8.1 or backing up the factory recovery partition to a new SSD and later update to a W8.1? If I do a clean installation I miss the RoG logo? (That's not a great problem, later I can change the boot image with tuneup or other program).

What's the pros and cons of each installation?

Cheers,
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
Owens wrote:
Hi, first I'm sorry for my poor grammar. English isn't my native language.

Last October I bought a G750JX (with a GTX 770M), but only brought a 1TB HDD to 5,200rpm. So I planning to buy a 240gb SDD (specifically a V300 kingstong's series). My question is: What's is most recomendable, do a clean installation of W8.1 or backing up the factory recovery partition to a new SSD and later update to a W8.1? If I do a clean installation I miss the RoG logo? (That's not a great problem, later I can change the boot image with tuneup or other program).

What's the pros and cons of each installation?

Cheers,

Keeping both options open is a smart move. Keep the ability to restore from factory by making a 16GB Asus Backtracker backup at a minimum, and if you can afford it, preserve the original HDD drive Windows install, partitions intact, and set it aside for future use.

If you are jonesing to doi a clean install, then work out the urge and do it 🙂

A clean Windows install, from a Windows vanilla install, doesn't do anything special, except for allowing for different partitioning, and leaving off the bloatware. There is no performance benefit.

The time to completion, including the driver finding / downloading, is about the same. Longer to do updates from 8.0 through 8.1 for the OEM install, but longer for the driver finding/downloading/reading needed to do the 8.1 clean install.

The quickest way to swap in an SSD and preserve your configuration / installs, is to put the new SSD in the 2nd drive bay - and clone the boot drive using a tool like Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

If you have a 1TB SSD, you can clone 1:1, otherwise Macrium and/or you, will need to resize the partitions so everything from the 1TB drive fits the smaller SSD.

I used a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD, and it worked fine - I didn't clone the D drive and Macrium resized the C drive automatically to fit.

Another way to install a new SSD is to pull your boot drive out of the 1st Bay and replace it with the SSD, and do a restore recovery from a 16GB Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 drive - USB 2.0 is waaaay too slow!

Notebook -ASUS Backtracker
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

When you do the restore recovery to the new SSD, make sure no other drives are in the 2nd bay or it will get erased and partitioned by Asus Backup Recovery. I also disconnect all USB drives/devices.

Let us know what you end up doing, and how it works out 🙂