cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chrosshair Formula-Z Owner requesting brain expanding :)

Novver
Level 7
Greetings fellow PC enthusiasts. I finally decided to buy this masterpiece after a long pause-time in my PC upgrading carreer.

The new components arrived yesterday. Crosshair V Formula-Z / FX-8350 / Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1866mhz RAM

The current build is : MSI 990FXA-GD80 / Phenom II 1100T BE @4.0ghz / NOCTUA NH-D14 / Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600mhz RAM / Sapphire 7970 DUAL-X OC / Samsung 840 PRO 256gb / Corsair HX 650 PSU in a pretty well airflow'd Coolermaster Stryker house.

I basically bought the board because the MSI board does not have LLC, which is essential for the Top FX processors, and the BIOS support is like, non existent anymore. And i really wanted to upgrade to an FX processor since 2013.
So i decided that until AMD releases a new chipset/socket for dedicated CPU's not for APU's, i will buy the best AM3+ mobo and a top(ish) FX processor. I fear a little because of the FX 9370's heat generation, and i did not want to go water now, and wanted to keep the NH-D14

I read about some issues, and want to see clearly, what to except, and what to look out for when i am putting my new rig together. First and foremost, I saw the 8-pin connector for the CPU besides the regular 4-pin one, should i put any 8-pin plug into it from my PSU or should i watch out for voltage differences?

Second, is there any recommended BIOS for a 8350? I saw some posts about the 2002 BIOS, and people were generally happy with it, some people with positive feedback, had 93XX series processors in them, so i guess that BIOS is solid ( or should be 🙂

Third, i saw that some chipset and sata drivers can cause BSOD's, anything on that?

Sorry for the long and kinda noobish post. I am not an expert, but know a few things 🙂 Many thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings and welcome to the forum 🙂

I would start by bench-testing this system first...this will also help keep the board a bit more cool but I have the same processor as you and I have only started to see "summer" temps of around 105 degree F with a Thermaltake Frio.

Because this is a new build I would strongly suggest to have both the 4-Pin AND 8-Pin Aux CPU connectors populated.

Our CPU has been supported in the BIOS I think since the release of this board ; I do seem to have a bit more BSOD with 2002 but again I think I have a flaky Matrix R9 280X.

Just as an FYI I am drawing 150 watts with my system sitting idle; once I start AIDA or BENCH for burin-in purpose I go to just about 575 watts...I see you are running a 650 Watt.

Keep us posted on your progress and post back with questions...enjoy the system.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Novver
Level 7
Thanks! Will do. Tomorrow i will put the new rig together.

But you did not answer one important question. Can i use any 8-pin plug from my PSU for the CPU aux 8-pin?

Um...I can't answer that.

You need to understand that there are TWO types of 8-Pin connectors which are listed below:
-one 8-Pin connector is used to power PCIe cards
-one 8-Pin connector is used to provide extra power for the CPU (actually is called at ATX12V connector)

In-case you are wondering n...NO...the connectors CANNOT be interchanged. These connectors should not be "mixed up" but I've seen one of my students FORCE these connectors in...good thing that I caught him before he powered up the system.

So I think I've got all your questions answered?

Remember to bench-test...see below if you need clarification:

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Novver
Level 7
Thanks, i will dig into this!

skellattarr
Level 10
be sure to read this thread on memory set up it will help a lot
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3468-Crosshair-V-Formula-Easy-Memory-Setup-Guide&country=&s...
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

Thanks!

Novver
Level 7
Can i just put in the 8350 directly and update the BIOS? I mean, does the MB have a BIOS that supports the 8350, or should i put my 1100T first, then update the BIOS with it to the latest?

I want to cut out an unnecessary CPU switch if possible.

EDIT: The primary DDR slots are the A2 & B2 ? The best speed is achieved in theese?

The diagram in te manual says so. For dual mode, use A2 & B2. Common sense would say that its A1 & B1.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Whoa here...slow down a bit ...you need to do some additional homework (as it seems you are searching for info in the forums) 🙂

Many of the questions you are asking can be answered at the Asus Website; located and select your motherboard and then click on the "Support" link There you will find the CPU Support list which will also indicate at what version BIOS a certain CPU is supported. Besides you will need this website to download and install the latest drivers. Frankly I would still with your default BIOS for now.

I would start off with the FX-8350 first...it appears that when you switch CPUs that the BIOS needs to be reset...a simple task as there is a switch on the back panel but then again this missed step seems to cause a lot of frustration 🙂

Don't even bother with two memory sticks for now...one just to power-up (again following the the link I provided you for bench-testing the system first is going to save time especially if problems are encountered).

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

Novver
Level 7
Well i did eventually put the rig together, and it is working as intended. Ran memtest, both sticks are fine.

But what is important. Right now, out of the box, my C5FZ supports 8350 instantly.
I did update to the 2002 BIOS as soon as i got to the BIOS.

And since my PSU only got one 2x4 PIN power for the CPU, i am using only the 8 PIN, and the 4 PIN is unpopulated. I got to a stable 4.6 GHZ @ 1.42V with a Noctua NH-D14.

Thanks for all the help. 🙂 Cheers!