cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1st ROG: 750JZ any tips for a newb?

RitterbrÃ_der
Level 7
Hey Guys 😄

I just bought a G750JZ-DS71 this week and it should arrive the next week w/some luck but this is the first time I buy an ASUS product, the ROG series. I'm completely new to the ASUS ROG I've never seen 1 in my life only through YouTube and I had this amazing opportunity to buy 1 so I would like you guys that have experience w/ASUS ROGs give me some tips of everything I should know or do to my new ROG.

Specially w/something I've heard outside this forum related to the HDDs, physically they're 2 but in PC they are partitioned in 4, 2 partitions of HDD and 2 of SSD is this true? if so would you recommend to "unify" the partitions to only 1 HDD and 1 SSD virtual disks??

Any tip/advice is welcome :cool:

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Alenos
Level 7
I am about to order the same laptop from Amazon 🙂

Alenos wrote:
I am about to order the same laptop from Amazon 🙂

Trust me you won't regret that decision 😉

sasuke256
Level 7
Well you can just have the 256Gb SSD for booting and the HDD for storage, each one 1 partition. I dont think they send it parted in 2 halves 😄
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes the partitions are so that you keep your OS partition small and easy or image and restore should problems arise.
Download Asus Backtracker and create an restore media This is the very first thing you should do!!!

You should thoroughly test out your new NB use any Benchmark testing program you can get or borrow you'll want to force you CPU to Run at 100% for at least 15 minutes Temps shouldn't get much over 80C I use Burn in Test
You can use Furmark to Stress test your GPU a full run of 15 minutes at full screen 1080 again your GPU shouldn't get much over 80C

Hwinfo64 will show you your loads temps and fan speeds and just about everything else about your notebook including driver versions RAM Timings and voltages.

Make a point of testing every system of your new notebook. WiFi, LAN, Audio, USB 3.0 track pad everything. If all is good then install your software and games on the 😧 part of your SSD, start having fun with your new notebook.

Failure to test and back up could cause you a lot of stress later on.

You can partition your SSD and Hard drive any way you want. I have my SSD C: = 256gB and my 750GB = 😧 where I have most of my programs installed and E: where I have my Data I use Mini Tool partition wizard and recommend it for UEFI systems
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro