cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS vBIOS UEFI Tool for GTX 7xx Cards?

MonarchX
Level 7
I successfully flashed my ASUS GTX 680 UEFI to ASUS GTX 770 BIOS (latest update from ASUS website). I did it to gain Boost 2.0, which I did gain. The actual name of the device stated GTX 680 but I gained the ability to OC based on temperature and not power. All is stable, no artifacts, etc. ASUS UEFI Tool detects my Windows 8.1 Pro GOP/UEFI install, ASUS P8Z77-V Pro UEFI 2104, and GTX 680 flashed with 770 BIOS as a UEFI card.

However, if I enable UEFI in P8Z77-V Pro with or without Fast Boot and disable Legacy/Compatibility Mode, I get a black screen upon a restart, a few short and long motherboard beeps, and a restart where my ASUS P8Z77-V Pro UEFI reports that UEFI on my VGA GPU is not supported and that I need to continue in Legacy Mode. Why is that? I know flashing from GTX 680 to GTX 770 is not technically supported, but my GTX 680 clocked really high on air (1300Mhz/7000Mhz) and both cards are the same with exception of clocks and Boost 2.0. GTX 770 simply has more sophisticated power, voltage, and clock controls in BIOS/UEFI that GTX 680 BIOS/UEFI does not have. My GTX 680 was flashed to UEFI using ASUS vBIOS UEFI Tool before I flashed it to ASUS GTX 770 BIOS (official one from ASUS website).

Does that mean GTX 770 cards do not support UEFI yet? Why would UEFI tool detect my GTX 680 modded to GTX 770 BIOS as a UEFI-ready device, but not boot in UEFI mode? ASUS stated that once your card is updated UEFI using ASUS vBIOS UEFI Tool, it can no longer go back to being Legacy-only, so some UEFI must've been preserved. I can only assume that flashing a BIOS is not the same as updated its UEFI..?

Any help would be highly welcome!

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
Hello

All ASUS 7xx series video cards are UEFI compliant. The issue you are seeing is not because of the lack of UEFI support of the 770 BIOS.

Then it is simply GTX 680 to GTX 770 flashing incompatibility? Another funny thing is that it says that the driver does not support UEFI on the flashed GTX 680... AFAIK, drivers do not load until Windows start boot.

MonarchX wrote:
Then it is simply GTX 680 to GTX 770 flashing incompatibility?

Hello

Most likely yes. As noted above the 7xx graphics cards support UEFI out of the box.

MonarchX wrote:
Another funny thing is that it says that the driver does not support UEFI on the flashed GTX 680... AFAIK, drivers do not load until Windows start boot.

For full UEFI support the GOP driver needs to be loaded from the video card during POST.

MonarchX
Level 7
I take simple nvflash.exe flashing does not update the GOP driver?

I used
nvflash.exe --protectoff
nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 ROM.rom

Do you think using nvflash.exe -updateuefi ROM.rom would update the UEFI GOP driver? I know that flashing modded GTX 680 UEFI on top of already existed GTX 680 UEFI without the -updateuefi does not break the GOP driver loading. Maybe its because it was already loaded... I will give it a try!

Is there a way to fully flash hardware IDs? After flashing the card is still detected as GTX 680, not GTX 770 due to hardware IDs... but I guess that is deeply engraved and cannot be changed?

MonarchX
Level 7
Oh I know! I need an UEFI .EFI or .EFIROM file for that, but where can I get one? ASUS won't provide one, will it? I know that GTX 600 vBIOS UEFI Tool does have some .EFI files, but they aren't going to work with GTX 770, are they?