cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off topic: Static electricity on metal outside

erix_jansen
Level 7
Hi all,
i just got my G750XJ notebook and this is not a product issue, but a home issue.

Depending on ythe power outlet i use, i get static elecytricity on the aluminium part around the keyboard. In some outlets it is ok, other not.

What is this?

Thank you!!!!
8 REPLIES 8

amitabhbansal
Level 7
erix_jansen@hotmail.com wrote:
Hi all,
i just got my G750XJ notebook and this is not a product issue, but a home issue.

Depending on ythe power outlet i use, i get static elecytricity on the aluminium part around the keyboard. In some outlets it is ok, other not.

What is this?

Thank you!!!!

Its a grounding/earth issue, try the 3 pin cable to attach the adapter to the power source, if it is already then check the ground/earth on your home electricity

erix_jansen
Level 7
thank you... i like to do-it-yourself, but have to check what you mean. I understand some of my earthing will be not so good, I didn't expect this problem to exist! thanks again!

meankeys
Level 13
That means the power receptacles that give you static are not properly grounded.

erix_jansen
Level 7
Thanks a lot mate! But..

What if I tell you that when I use a NON grounded 2 pin extender, AND STILL GET THIS STATIC?

I understand the static THEN comes not from my home surges but FROM INSIDE THE NOTEBOOK...

meankeys
Level 13
If the notebook is properly grounded you would not get the static charge. The reason you get the static charge or even know that it's there is because you your body is acting as the ground to complete the circuit.

graphic
Level 11
hmm, power outlet faulty...
perhaps that's not grounded properly??
be careful, don't use that outlet, if your not handy yourself
to check outlet, best to get an electrician to check out your
home wiring....

erix_jansen
Level 7
thanks guys!!! but could it not be vibrations (this "Static" vibration disappears as soon as I unplug it, and sometimes returns or not.
you know the aluminium metal that surrounds the keyboard, well this feeling of static is not everywhere noticeable. Would this point towards vibrations.
I do not have HDDS only SSDs so it could be the fans. DVD or recoil...

erix_jansen
Level 7
Man oh man what a story!!!!

Finally, I confirm that it is ELECTRIC STATIC.

It happened on and off, I had no clue.

Well, after traveling with the notebook I noticed that there is the sound of AN ABANDONED SCREW INSIDE THAT ROLLS AND MOVES FREELY.
(And it suposedly touches metal parts, causing the static....)
I think I will have to return the notebook so that they fix it under warenty.