cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jw refuses to wake from sleep without hard reboot, runs terrible once restarted

alone_in_the__d
Level 7
Hi everyone,

occasionally my laptop will not wake from sleep mode. I tap the keys and the power button lights up but it never wakes up. I have to hold the power button down and do a hard restart to get it back. Problem is it runs like crap once it does restart and games lag horribly making the laptop no fun to use. I got so frustrated with it the last time I gave up on it and didnt use it for a month, just using my desktop instead. A few days ago I pulled it out of my bag and fired it up. Windows update ran and I updated my nvidia driver. It ran great again for a few days. I went to use it today when i got home and it was asleep and I couldnt get it to wake up. hard restart and the same problem all over again. I updated to the 337.50 nvidia driver and it didnt make a difference. I cant figure out how to get it to run right again. I tried multiple restarts and am getting nowhere. Help!!!!!!
6 REPLIES 6

noone
Level 8
Is there a reason you assume it has to do with video drivers?

when it runs poorly, is the CPU slowed?

As the sleep function is managed by a few Asus programs, might be worth re-installing those.

Need to work out if its a driver / windows / hardware issue

noone wrote:
Is there a reason you assume it has to do with video drivers?

when it runs poorly, is the CPU slowed?

As the sleep function is managed by a few Asus programs, might be worth re-installing those.

Need to work out if its a driver / windows / hardware issue

I don't think it is a video drivers issue after messing with it, that was just the first thing I tried. I believe it is lag coming from the CPU, as the rest of the PC isn't as fast as it should be either. Checked my frame rate in games and it is jumping all over the place. I tried reinstalling power4gear and it made no difference. I also did a system restore back to a few days ago when it was running well and it didn't help. How can I tell if it's a CPU problem for sure?

alone_in_the _dark wrote:
I don't think it is a video drivers issue after messing with it, that was just the first thing I tried. I believe it is lag coming from the CPU, as the rest of the PC isn't as fast as it should be either. Checked my frame rate in games and it is jumping all over the place. I tried reinstalling power4gear and it made no difference. I also did a system restore back to a few days ago when it was running well and it didn't help. How can I tell if it's a CPU problem for sure?

It is recommended to uninstall Power4Gear, and reboot.

You updated the video driver, but have you downloaded all the latest drivers from the new G750's and installed those? They are a few versions newer than what is posted in the JW/JX/JH download support areas.
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Did you update to the newest BIOS and set defaults in the BIOS after first boot?

hmscott wrote:
It is recommended to uninstall Power4Gear, and reboot.

You updated the video driver, but have you downloaded all the latest drivers from the new G750's and installed those? They are a few versions newer than what is posted in the JW/JX/JH download support areas.

Did you update to the newest BIOS and set defaults in the BIOS after first boot?

I am running bios 208. Set optimal defaults after first boot. Can you point me in the direction for the latest drivers?

alone_in_the _dark wrote:
I am running bios 208. Set optimal defaults after first boot. Can you point me in the direction for the latest drivers?

That was the link I posted, it lists all the G750 models, and each have a download area. The JW/JX/JH are older drivers, but a couple are good to get there, the newest are in the JM/JS/JZ areas.

The new laptops for the most part use the same accessory hardware, audio, ethernet, wireless, etc.

You can look at your installed programs list, and the device manager to find the specific driver packages you need - broadcom, qualcomm, realtek, etc.

Don't bother installing drivers for hardware you don't have 🙂

It will take you a while the first time, but spend a couple of sessions, starting with wireless, ethernet, bluetooth drivers, and persist till you have checked them all out. Then you have the quicklist for your laptop to review every month or so to keep up with new drivers.

We just got a 800+MB update 1 for Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised to find updated drivers in the JM/JS/JZ download area's in a month or so.

Here is the link to all the G750's support areas:

Think of the driver updating as a game, and play to win! 🙂

Crmn1625
Level 7
My experience. Getting rid of Power4Gear and making sure that none of the power saving functions allowed the machine to hibernate got rid of my hard reboot problem. I never did have issues with my system slowing down on a hard reboot so can't help you there.
G750JH-DB72-CA
250GB SSD/ 750GB HDD/ 16GB RAM
Windows 8.1:)