cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RlBE Offset OC (?)

liquidfluidity
Level 7
So, I'm feeling out my chip right now by using the "offset" method of overclocking. I am currently using negative offset and was wondering if when you put in a value, if that value is compounded each time you change it or is there a set value that this manually set number is being subtracted from?

ie. - .05v is the first number I set. I decided to lower it even more. I then enter -.06v. Ok - now - am I .11v from my original setting or am I .06v?
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Offset (in your case a negative offset) is added to the VID table of voltage the processor has. So negative offset is subtracted from the VID voltage. Your CPU has a series of voltages preprogrammed..the VID table..for different loads/frequencies.

So, if you set an offset this is added/subtracted from the table of voltages throughout the range from idle to load.

The idea is that you work out your stable manual voltage in BIOS for whatever OC you want. Run something like Prime or Realbench as a stress test and note load voltage in CPUz.

Then set an offset voltage to get this same CPUz load voltage using same stress test.

if you set a positive offset the maths is not straight forward since the offset is taken into account by the CPU but also thermal conditions current draw etc. negative offset is more direct in the mathematics but not a straight sum either so often the best approach is a bit of trial and error to get an offset value that gets you the CPUz load value you are looking for.

You have to be careful sometimes setting a negative offset that is quite large....since at idle the offset is applied and might lead to too low a voltage and instability at idle despite being OK at load.

liquidfluidity
Level 7
I knew that my chip was easily a 4.0Ghz chip with stock voltage so that is what I worked at. I don't believe the math for my chip was straight forward at all. In my case, once I enabled "offset", my load vcore jumped to 1.376v while my idle vcore remained .890v. My innitial number insertion was -.09. It still booted with no issue, but it would randomly freeze. The idle voltage was now around .750v - which I lnew was too low. I decided to start a little higher. I reset my voltage back to the starting point and then entered -.05v. This should have put my idle at .84v, if the "math" was working out correctly. It didn't. My idle voltage is now .800v. and load voltage is 1.28v. This has proven to be stable and I have decided to stay there as I don't want to go under .800v at idle. I still have 1 question from earlier and this has lead to a second:

1. When changing offset twice(-.05v then changed to -.06v) with two negative settings , is it compounded ( -.05 + -.06 = -.110)? Or is it just -.06? I'm probably way overthinking this.....

2. What happens to my setting once I up the multiplier again - does the offset voltage scale with the multi change and will I have to play with it again?

ie. - currently at x40. If I change to x43, will my load voltage go up and I then have to find that happy medium again? Or will the voltage stay where it is until I have to change to +offset?

I tend to overthink things, but please indulge me.

Thanks for your help 😉

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
the value for offset that you input is well, the offset value you input -0.05 it takes 0.05 off... you change that to -0.06 you just increased offset by 0.01 no compounding...

If you up the multi the offset is simply applied to the vid voltage for that higher frequency. As you go higher with the multiplier you will probably find that you need less negative offset and then may well have to change to a positive one since the increase in voltage for increase in frequency won't be linear and at some point shoots off on a steep curve...

Figures just for example not real example just to give the idea. 40 -0.06, 42 -0.02, 44 +0.02, 46 +0.06, 48 +0.165...

For any multiplier find stable manual voltage and then set your offset...

liquidfluidity
Level 7
Thank you very much. All is well and I'm now underway to 4.5Ghz. 😉