cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible CH V issues, help please

savage1987
Level 7
Hey guys, there's a long version of this story over on overclock.net forum .. http://www.overclock.net/t/1481409/have-i-been-sold-a-dud-card-7970-crossfire-issues

Here's the basics.

1. I bought 2 cards to upgrade from my trusty 6950

2. Had random hang ups in games and sedentary duties like watching videos.

3. Tested cards individually. One of them was overheating. I stripped it and replaced the TIM. Twice. Didn't entirely fix that card's issues but the other one's temps were fine so I put that card in on its own to get by for now.

4. System still hanging up on the good card.

5. After multiple driver versions I put the 6950 back in and the hang ups persisted. Even started doing it in BIOS.

6. Switched in a spare 500W PSU. System worked perfect until the first round of Windows updates and a restart, then hung up immediately so I gave up for tonight because it's pretty much pissing me off and I'm about to put it in the bin. I'll come back tomorrow with another PSU and hope for the best.

Right now it won't even boot to Windows reliably, just hangs up all over the place. Multiple graphics cards, multiple PSUs, same result. Thinking CPU / motherboard, likely motherboard based on past issues I have seen in other systems.

What's the warranty like on these things, does it carry over from owner to owner? I bought this board 2nd hand and have had no issues with it for a year up until now 😞 I don't have any paperwork for it. I'm not thrilled by the idea of buying a new board just at the moment so figured it can't hurt to ask.

Cheers,
Sam
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
39 REPLIES 39

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Just want to verify a few things here first as I'm didn't check the posts on the other forum 🙂

1) are both the 4-Pin and 8-Pin Aux CPU Power Connectors populated?
2) is the EZPLUG connector populated (this is the molex connector just above the PCIe Slot closest to the CPU...required for two cards too)
3) were all the PCIe Power Connector(s) populated on the graphics card?

Did you attempt a "clean" install of Windows (sometimes un-installing existing drivers isn't enough)?

Did you attempt to clear the BIOS and besure to return it back to standard settings (no OCing for now)?

It is hard to say but my gut feeling here is that you have a couple of flaky PSUs...your system was working find for over a year and then starts to act up when you upgraded cards...maybe the extra load creaded by two cards was enough to put your PSU over the edge....maybe the replacements PSU is not 100% either.

I think you are on the right track by getting another PSU and run with a single card to start with. So post back your findings as I'm a bit curious.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

savage1987
Level 7
1. Yes they were, now it's only on the 8-pin as it's all my little spare PSU has.
2. No, I completely missed the fact that this exists. I had looked through the manual to see if there was anything else I was required to do in CF setup and couldn't see anything! Only now that I'm really combing through it I have found the one tiny line on page 1-43 where it mentions that plug's purpose 😞
3. Yes. an 8-pin and a 6-pin on each card.

Clean windows installation completed twice, one hang-up occurred during installation (lol annoying)

Tried all sorts of BIOS settings. Stock, stock with RAM set manually (still underclocked), DOCP, optimised defaults.... etc. All of them got me no real results. The overclock on the RAM was the first thing I turned down (hadn't even touched a CPU OC on this setup yet)

Could the lack of that molex plug have burned something out on the board? I'd have thought it was more for cards with enormous power draw and/or huge overclocks under water etc..
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB

TheNerdBench
Level 10
A lot of people miss the EZPLUG connector so no worries. Even with a FX-8350 I would still try to get a PSU that allows you to populate both the 4 & 8-Pin AUX CPU connectors (especially if you are thinking of upgrading to the FX-9000 series later).

The concept behind the EZPLUG I believe is to deliver "enough" power to the PCIe Slots (a x16 PCIe slot supplies up to 75 watts based on the PCIe standard). You bring up a good point about the possibility of burning something out by not populating this plug if you consider the following. First I am NOT an Asus employee but the only real reason I can see why ASUS implemented this EZPLUG is because the M/B as designed could not deliver enough through the standard "traces" to the PCIe bus...so they implemented this EZPLUG to ensure that the board could supply the required 75 watts. Then again maybe the implemented the EZPLUG to reduce the voltage drop that normally occurs with traces in a M/B that is used to deliver high current. As far as I know the EZPLUG does not upgrade the standard 75 Watt limit for a PCIe slot.

Sorry this explanation got a little on the long side but to answer you question I could see how traces on the M/B could of become "over loaded" if you didn't use the EZPLUG so yes it may be possible.

Again I would wait to "play" more once you get a new PSU; post back please what you find out.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

savage1987
Level 7
I will of course use both the 8 and 4 pin plugs when I get a replacement PSU in there, this crappy old 500W is only for testing. I'll hopefully have a HX-650 to test with tomorrow so that will either confirm or rule out PSU being the issue. Will continue playing around in the meantime, see what I can find.

Strange that the molex connector isn't mentioned in the section of the User Guide relating to CrossfireX setup..

It may also be worth noting I occasionally get the "overclock failed" POST halt screen while nothing is actually overclocked. CPU at stock, RAM well under (2000 sticks at 1066)

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
My first question is whether a 500W PSU can handle two 7970 GPUs - those are seriously power-hungry cards. The spec sheet form Gigabyte, Asus, Diamond, and several others show that the minimum PSU size for ONE card is 500W, and that FX 8350 and everything else on the CF5 motherboard needs at least another 200W.

Hook the system up to that 1200W PSU that's listed in your signature and see if you're still having issues.

Dr. Z

Edit: the manual mentions the 4-pin EX connector on page 1-43:

"Connect the 4-pin EZ_PLUG power plugs to ensure sufficient power supply when you install multiple graphics cards."

Straight from the page.

savage1987
Level 7
OK. No you have misunderstood the situation, have another look at steps 5 and 6 in the OP. It's running at the moment on my old 6950, with the 500W PSU. The 7970s are sitting on my table where they'll stay until I have the system stable again with a capable PSU in it. It was unstable with the AX1200, that's why I swapped it out originally. There is now a question of whether my 500W spare is actually working properly so I'll test with a 3rd PSU tomorrow, a HX-650. If that fails I'll know it's motherboard / CPU related.

I'm not stupid 🙂 two 7970s on a 500W PSU would end in tears. The thing doesn't even have the required connectors to try it haha!

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Yep, I read it all but I missed it somehow - that's what I get for studying all day with few breaks.

Hopefully there was no debris in the PCIe slot.

What I would do next is completely break down the machine and clean the crap out of every slot, connector, and ground point with 91% isopropyl alcohol and lint-free cloth (might exclude the CPU - lol), and then start again one component at a time. Several times all my system needed was a good cleaning to tidy up the contacts. I live in the humidity capital of the US, though, and my folks don't like to run the AC until the temperature in the house is close to 90.

Might help?

That'll be my next step if I have no success with the 3rd PSU tomorrow. I highly doubt that it'll be my issue though considering the number of times all these parts have been removed and replaced.

savage1987
Level 7
That'll be my next step if I have no success with the 3rd PSU tomorrow.