cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75VW Ai Recovery 1.0.24 Insert proper boot device

Asus_G72GX
Level 7
I have Asus G75VW 256GB SSD/1TB HDD, I used already installed Ai Recovery 1.0.24 to create recovery DVD's Asus claims that 1.0.24 fully supports 1TB HDD. Than I replaced 256GB SSD to a newly WD Black 7500BPKT, and performed installation as following here rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75 but when the last DVD is finishes, the Ai recovery tells that restoring was ok and notebook is restarting but stops with message select proper boot device even in BIOS there is no option to boot via HDD, however the HDD name, serial number is showing in SATA tab, I tried both AHCI, IDE optiona but same sign appears select proper boot device. What is the problem? And when Asus will ship normal handeled software to their 2500$ laptops, so that people would find comfortably to use their products.
17 REPLIES 17

Asus_G72GX
Level 7
During DVD recovery I left only one WD Black 7500BPKT and unplugged the stock 1TB.

Asus_G72GX
Level 7
During Ai Recovery DVD writing I selected verify data after burning so all disks should not contain any errors.

Asus_G72GX
Level 7
Found here rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75/page15&highlight=select+proper+boot that problem causing Bios 223, is it possible to safely downgrade Bios from 223 to 210? I heard that using winflash no date is unsafe as it can lead machine to brick

on boot up hit the esc key, that will bring up a boot menu, select your new hard drive. If that fails use disk part to clean your new disk, convert it to GPT, then run AI Recovery disk. In Your BIOS should be set up for UEFI
you can not down grade your BIOS with Winflash, you'll have to use EZ Flash in the BIOS. And Yes Win Flash has bricked several Notebooks.

As to your complaint about not getting a restore disk with your Notebook, very few are shipped now days with restore disk, you can purchase one from the Asus Store for $50. for windows 7 only.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
on boot up hit the esc key, that will bring up a boot menu, select your new hard drive. If that fails use disk part to clean your new disk, convert it to GPT, then run AI Recovery disk. In Your BIOS should be set up for UEFI
you can not down grade your BIOS with Winflash, you'll have to use EZ Flash in the BIOS. And Yes Win Flash has bricked several Notebooks.

As to your complaint about not getting a restore disk with your Notebook, very few are shipped now days with restore disk, you can purchase one from the Asus Store for $50. for windows 7 only.

There was no HDD option only Blu Ray drive if I presss ESC button. Than I decided to downgrade a Bios from 223 to 210 with WinFlash. I launched it via cmd using old Liteon SSD 256G SSD with /nodate property. Seems that all run ok, I also tried to reboot laptop and it switched on ok with the next Windows 7 boot. So Bios downgrade is really possible if WinFlash flashed my Bios from 223 to 210 version? Can I be sure that after that system will not malfunction lately? After WinFlash I placed disks from Ai Recovery and when last disk is finished copying, system rebooted and no "select proper boot device" sign appeared, Ai recovery restored Windows 7 and started to copying drivers. So the reason was really in Bios 223. Now can I be sure that I will still can apply the latest Bios updates? Thanks!

Good glad you got it all sorted out. I have found no reason to update my BIOS beyond 210 myself. Your problem was UEFI, your BIOS needs to be set to UEFI and your hard drive needs to be UEFI GPT. Since you have gotten ride of your SSD and replace it with a Legacy Hard Drive you you could set your BIOS to Legacy and your OS Hard drive to MBR. You can not mix the two systems both have to be one or the other. Your Notebook came from the factory UEFI GPT
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Good glad you got it all sorted out. I have found no reason to update my BIOS beyond 210 myself. Your problem was UEFI, your BIOS needs to be set to UEFI and your hard drive needs to be UEFI GPT. Since you have gotten ride of your SSD and replace it with a Legacy Hard Drive you you could set your BIOS to Legacy and your OS Hard drive to MBR. You can not mix the two systems both have to be one or the other. Your Notebook came from the factory UEFI GPT

Thanks for your assist! Could you also say how to switch BIOS to Legacy mode and Hard Drive to MBR(formating required)? Or since all seems to be worked better to remain system as it is?

Maybe in my case I don't need to re-format WD Black 7500BPKT to MBR since it was new sealed in box, and after I downgraded BIOS to 210 version the system fully restored from AI Recovery drives?

P.S.
As I restored my system with the disks that I recovered with AI Recovery 1.0.24 when the system was with factory SSD+1TB HDD. When I started restoring from this disks I set only WD Black and removed for a while the 1TB. Is it right? Since in tutorial there was a warning that only one HDD should be during restoring. So how Ai Recovery affects on second 1TB HDD, I still did not placed it in system

Asus_G72GX
Level 7