cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth headphone problem

blackbow
Level 7
Hi all, apologies for what might be a newbie question, but I'm fairly new to Windows in general. I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones, which I've tested on a few different devices and they work fine. They pair to my laptop just fine as well, and work when listening to music etc., but they don't seem to work in games (I've tested Steam games and WoW). The sound sort of "pulses" -- it cuts out every half-second or so. I've checked drivers, and I'm up to date -- any ideas?

I have the G74SX-A1. Any help is appreciated; thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

blackbow
Level 7
bumpity...

I'm wondering, could this be interference from my wifi router? Seems to be the worst in WoW and other online games.

If you're playing online (wifi) it could be due to the fact that the Atheros card is both your wifi and bluetooth. That card can barely handle wifi.

Try running DPC latency monitor and see if you get any red spikes and if they coincide with the "pulses" http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Good Point, JRd1st! Using DPC Latency Monitor, I found the Atheros driver was the source of all latency on my bone stock G74SX-A1. But the latency occurred in pulses of 5 seconds or so, not every half second. When I disabled the Atheros WiFi driver in Device Manager, all latency stopped. However, there could be other drivers contributing to latency on blackbow's system.

I'm not a fan of the current implementation of Bluetooth in Windows. Whenever I get it to work, I am amazed. Whenever it doesn't work, I'm not surprised.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I wouldn't be surprised if the Atheros card is behind many peoples' touchpad complaints. I found out right away how bad that card was when I hooked up my LAN cable. As soon as the Atheros was disabled it was like I had changed computers.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Chastity
Level 10
I suggest using the latest Atheros driver from station-drivers. I've fixed a few machines with those, and feedback is positive on latency. (YMMV compared to say Intel solutions)

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/Atheros_wifi_9.2.0.439-vista-7(www.statio...
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Chastity@ASUS wrote:
I suggest using the latest Atheros driver from station-drivers. I've fixed a few machines with those, and feedback is positive on latency. (YMMV compared to say Intel solutions)

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/Atheros_wifi_9.2.0.439-vista-7(www.statio...

You can count me among those offering positive feedback on latency after installing 9.2.0.439. Thanks, Chastity!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Sorry for not replying sooner -- got really busy all of a sudden and didn't have time to play around with this 'til yesterday. But, it seems to have worked for me too -- thanks a bunch! 😄

Awesome!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com