cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Advice Please before i start spending!

Belgemine
Level 7
Hello everyone, I've recently decided it was time to build a new PC - I won't tell you what I have been using to play, at risk of abuse!

So please see below for what I am looking at stringing together, I'm fairly confident with my hardware choice, less sure about the cooling side.

All advice/suggestions welcome.

Hardware

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
CPU: Intel i7 4820K LGA2011
Memory: x2 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400MHz
Graphics: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 or ROG Matrix Ver.
PSU: Corsair AX-1200i
HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm
SSD: ASUS ROG PCI-E 240GB

Cooling

Pump/Reservoir>CPU>780Ti>MB Chipsets>Memory>Radiator (top360mm)>

Pump/Reservior: Koolance RP1250
CPU: Koolance CPU-380I Water Block
780Ti: Koolance VID-NXTTN2 Water Block
MB Chipsets: EKWB EK-FB Kit ASUS R4BE Nickel
Memory: Koolance RAM-33 Water block x8
Radiator: Koolance 3x120mm, 54mm – HX-360HX
Fluid: Koolance LIQ-705 Low-Conductivity
+Multiple system fans where they can be fitted.

Only thing I'd plan on changing in the future would be to run 2x Graphics cards.

Fire away! and thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Nuimoa
Level 7
Welcome to the Forums!!!

Looks good but just wondering why you need so much RAM. 32gb is a lot, 16gb would be good for most people (unless you use programs/software that require a lot of RAM) I'm no expect on water cooling so can't help you there sorry 🙂

I see you are from New Zealand too! haha, just wondering what store you are buying them from cause I'm finding that a lot of places are EXPENSIVE! Computerlounge is good and price matches but I still what cheeper 🙂 Any ideas!

Thanks

abvolt
Level 11
welcome you're list looks great only one suggestion a seasonic 860 platinum psu is not only better then a corsair 1200i it costs less money too.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Thanks guys,

I guess I don't really need 64gb's ram, I just figured if I'm going to spend this much - why not just fill those ram slots right up!?
Theres a chain of pc stores in auckland called PBtech, pricing seems to be cheaper than anywhere else - but can't much the low prices' overseas, so I'm considering importing a lot of the parts. I like pccasegear which is an Aus shop.

Would the 860 still provide enough wattage if I were to say run 2x GTX 780's?

Nackers
Level 15
HI mate, welcome to rog forums,, I'd go with a bigger PSU,, 1200w would be better. AND I see in your list that your looking at 2x 4x8gb ram,, you'll have nothing but trouble buy 2 ram kits and trying to run them together.. If your going to run all 8 slots you have to get a one 8 tile kit.

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Hi and Welcome,

I agree with Abvolt, 32Gb is hardly ever necessary unless you are planning to do massive photo shopping or video editing. For most other programs hitting the sealing memory wise, will not happen. On top of that the more sticks the more strain on the memory controller (when overclocking this might be an issue). If you want to use ram disk it might come in handy to have at least 16 Gb.

About the dram: my advice, if you are going to spend some serious cash, take the Gskill Trident X 2400 c9 instead. They overclock better than the RipjawsX.

On the cooling part : my advice: get another radiator, 1x360mm radiator is cutting it, but no more than that. So another 360mm or even a 240mm would be better.

As for RAM cooling : take note that ram water blocks tend to have small channels. The fluid flow rate of the total waterloop will be influenced by that. I did some testing a while ago, I believe the flow rate dropped by at least 25% and puts more strain on the pump. When I use the water cooled ram, I added a 2th pump.

You might want to consider using an inline thermal sensor for the waterloop and a flowmeter (Koolance or other). That way you can keep a close eye on what is going on in the loop. Hope this helps.

Awesome, just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Maybe I could run another Pump and reservoir unit to run just the ram and motherboard off? This is the unit i was looking at http://koolance.com/rp-1250-reservoir-and-pump it has a built in flow and temp meter.

What 1200w PSU's would you recommend looking at?

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Do not ever double up on RAM kits. If you need 64 gig, you need to buy a 64GB kit of chips binned together as one 64GB kit. 64GB for you is likely overkill however. I would drop down to 16 or 32GB and get a TridentX Kit like someone already suggested unless you absolutely need that much RAM.

1200W is overkill. You can get away with 1000W if the price in NZ is vastly different. Either Seasonic 1000 Gold/Platinum or an eVGA 1000 Gold Platinum which in New Zealand might show up on the market as Seasonic and Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum. Beware the Leadex is white and has white LEDs in the modular connectors if you get the original OEM variant. The eVGA is black. Do not get 860W as you said you might run 2x cards and I always like to play the 'safe' card with a little more watts.

As someone already stated when you get RAM heatsinks they are high-restriction and aren't really needed even if you are overclocking the ram. You can get away with the spreader alone and some airflow from a fan. The same goes with the motherboard chipsets, high restriction and the VRM section is made to take heat. It does look cool however so if you want to do it... The pump in the res is the PMP-400 which has a TON of head pressure so it should be able to do it Maximum Head Pressure: 5.5m (18ft)!!! Just note that it doesn't add anything except for looks cool.

You do have a problem however. You're right at what I would say is the 'safe' zone radiator wise. I would say run a 240 + a 360 here ESP because you said you want to have a 2nd card coming down the line. That case can fit a 240mm additionally vertically in the front but I don't know. You might have to change up the case.

If you get tubing, get Primochill Advanced LRT, not just LRT, Advanced LRT.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Antronman
Level 10
Wait for june/july. Haswell-E and DDR4, and 8 cores.
IB-E users are going to be seriously outdated.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino
Level 15
Belgemine wrote:

Memory: x2 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400MHz

The RipjawsZ were designed for this platform so I'd recommend you grab those over the Ripjaws. Not saying that the Ripjaws won't work, but the RipjawsZ works flawlessly. There's a ton of kits with different capacity and frequency available. Once you've decided how much and how fast you want for your kit, I can send some recommendations down your way.