cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought R4G CPU+DRAM LED red with 4960X

jasjeetsingh
Level 7
I just bought a Rampage Gene IV, installed the 4960X and RAM and GPU.
When I turn it on i get debug code 00 and CPU and DRAM LEDs are lit red instantly.

I understand that its possible the BIOS is too old to support the CPU, but ive been unsuccessful in running the Bios flashback.

Ive tried updating to the latest ROM file, tried the CAP converter file and tried a CAP (latest bios). All 3 result in the ROG connect button to blink a couple of times then stop.

I dont have a SB-E CPU to test the board, and cant get hold of one easily.
The board is very early, i think produced in 2012, and shipped with v1005 bios, im the 2nd owner so i dont know if the Bios was ever updated, the previous owner doesnt remember..

What can i do?
16 REPLIES 16

extreme
Level 7
you have to rename it to R4G.ROM to flashback to work properly. the procedure is in the front page.

jasjeetsingh
Level 7
Yes ive already done that.
When i tried to flash the ROM i uses v1404 on a FAT32 USB, renamed to R4G.ROM
When i tried to flash the ROM->CAP Converter i used a FAT32 USB, renamed to R4G.ROM
When i tried to flash the CAP v4804 i used a FAT32 USB, renamed to R4G.CAP

Am i missing something?

I hear you cant run the converter without a CPU?

jasjeetsingh wrote:

Not sure about that, but you should at least be able to flash 1404 without the CPU. If you're unable to do that, then there's something wrong.

Try using a different USB key, it might not be able to recognise the one you're using.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Melting Point wrote:
Not sure about that, but you should at least be able to flash 1404 without the CPU. If you're unable to do that, then there's something wrong.

Try using a different USB key, it might not be able to recognise the one you're using.

Yeah thought that maybe it as I'm not using a USB stick exactly, I don't have one, so used a Sandisk SD Card reader and SD Card.
I'll try and see if I can find one.

What will happen if you try to flash a ROM on a CAP system?
Or CAP on a ROM system without Conversion first?

Would like to know before I make anything worse.

Also what is Asus' response to those who don't have a SBE CPU to run the conversion? I paid good money for a brick at the moment... I'm from the UK if that helps.

Edit:
Found an SSD and USB converter, that got the 1404 ROM to flash, the flash lasted about 15-20seconds, the light blinked about 30 times. Maybe that worked?

I can't remember how long it took to flash that BIOS on my RIVE, it was a long time ago.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to go any further without a CPU. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

I think you're best option would be to try an borrow a 3930K or 3960X just to get the CAP BIOS flashed. Where abouts in the UK are you?
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD

jasjeetsingh wrote:

Hello

That is correct. The CAP conversion is a two step process. After the initial flashing the board needs to reboot through a partial POST to finish the process. This second part is not possible if a CPU is not installed (SB-E).

jasjeetsingh
Level 7
TBH I have a 3960X in another R4G in my personal system, however its in a Lian Li 354B under a H80i with a great mount, I really dont want to disturb that system, but if this is the only solution I will have to try it.

I still wonder how Asus are dealing with people without a SBE CPU, can they not send out an updated BIOS Chip if the board is still in warranty?

Tomorrow i am receiving a E5 2680, this CPU isnt listed as compatible, but I think ive seen it running on these boards, worth a shot?

jasjeetsingh wrote:
TBH I have a 3960X in another R4G in my personal system, however its in a Lian Li 354B under a H80i with a great mount, I really dont want to disturb that system, but if this is the only solution I will have to try it.

I think it's probably your best option. Pain in the rear end, but better than a board that doesn't work.
I still wonder how Asus are dealing with people without a SBE CPU, can they not send out an updated BIOS Chip if the board is still in warranty?

I suppose new boards ship with a CAP bios.
Tomorrow i am receiving a E5 2680, this CPU isnt listed as compatible, but I think ive seen it running on these boards, worth a shot?

I have no idea, never used Xeons.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Current motherboard stock will have the CAP version UEFI already installed. For users that are ill prepared for the responsibilities of a system integrator that purchase old stock the best option is to buy a BIOS chip programmed with the latest version UEFI.