New ROGer Array

G74SX What is worth uprading?

So ive had my g74 for a little over 2 years and was thinking of trading up but now im thinking I can just tune mine up and save money since its been an awesome laptop and keeps up with most games I play just fine. So I would like to know what all I can do to it to help it out, obvioualy RAM is the first thing that came to mind but is it worth maxing out at 32GB or should I stop at 16? Im looking for lengthening my laptops relevancy here I would rather not get a new one until I cant just swap out a single part and keep up. And what about the HDs? I use a lot of space for media storage as well as a large amount of games.

ROG Enthusiast Array Miliano PC Specs
    Miliano PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G74SX-BBK7-A1
    MotherboardRev 2.0 2D
    ProcessorI7 2860QM (Aftermarket)
    Memory (part number)32GB 1333Mhz CL9
    Graphics Card #13GB GTX560M (2D)
    Monitor1920x1080p
    Storage #1850 EVO 1TB SSD
    Storage #2Hitachi 1TB HDD
    Power Supply180w
    Mouse Razer Oroborous
    Mouse Pad Synaptics TP
    OS WIN 10 PRO
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U

Quote Originally Posted by tcmiller18 View Post
    is it worth maxing out at 32GB or should I stop at 16? Im looking for lengthening my laptops relevancy here I would rather not get a new one until I cant just swap out a single part and keep up. And what about the HDs?
    I know this is a little late, but better late than never..

first off, if your running Intel 2630qm cpu, 16gb RAM is the max you can have. not that anyone ever really need more than 16GB RAM anyways.

To determine if you can do with more ram just open task manager, and open performance tab, and start mutlitasking, just operating a bit more
    aggressively than you normally would and keep an eye on your memory in task manger. it will tell you how much you use,
    if you have 2GB or more free, adding more RAM will do absolutely nothing for you.

For example, I multitask the hell out of mine with demanding 3D graphic editing programs, as many open browser tabs as I can on all three monitors and running 10-15 of my most used programs at once and i dont use more than 8gb in my
    16gb system.

As for upgrades, you can change the CPU, though, the Bios and motherboard limits you here.
    The best compatible CPU we can get for G74SX is the Intel i7 2860QM
    which still a really good CPU considering its getting old, better than 2630qm. You will see a difference if your a power user, and supports 32GB RAM.

I also found that 1.5TB is the maximum total storage capacity the system can handle when I tried to add a bigger Hard drive.
    So I swapped out the primary HDD for a 500GB SSD (SOOO much better), kept the Secondary drive as is and replaced the DVD DRIVE with the orignal 500GB HDD.
    Last edited by Miliano; 07-17-2014 at 01:58 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Boosted_R's Avatar

Anything more than 8GB is really a waste... On the rare occasion more than 8GB will help out performance... Monitor usage to see if its worth it.

SSD wise I would say Performance vs. Value vs. Reliability , I would recommend the Samsung EVO SSD..... Really like Intel but they are lagging behind in Performance and Value.... Having used a 120GB EVO SSD in a Desktop, I might upgrade my Intel 330 SSD to a Samsung EVO SSD. That will increase speed a bit.

BIOS is a pain in the ass, upgrading the CPU is a big risk.... Also the GPU is integrated to the MB and cannot be replaced..

Start with a good SSD and see if you want to do anything else.... At the end of the day your GPU will be the limiting factor and all the CPU speed and RAM in the world won't help.
    Last edited by Boosted_R; 06-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
    OLD
    ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23