cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem after disabling page file

Akash22
Level 7
Hey guys...
I bought G750JX-CV069P in dec'13 and i love it!!!
No issues so far (besides the slow nvidia driver updates from Asus 😞 )
Me being a Computer Science student, I like to 'change' settings time to time...
I know that disabling page-file won't give me a significant performance boost but i still did it 😉
The problem that arose was that whenever i switched on my laptop, it would shutdown after displaying the ROG logo (with a 'click' sound (i think from HDD))
however when i pressed the power button second time... it booted normally...
I wanna know if its bad and whats causing it?
(On safe side I enabled the page file and problem is gone)
Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
Akash22 wrote:
Hey guys...
I bought G750JX-CV069P in dec'13 and i love it!!!
No issues so far (besides the slow nvidia driver updates from Asus 😞 )
Me being a Computer Science student, I like to 'change' settings time to time...
I know that disabling page-file won't give me a significant performance boost but i still did it 😉
The problem that arose was that whenever i switched on my laptop, it would shutdown after displaying the ROG logo (with a 'click' sound (i think from HDD))
however when i pressed the power button second time... it booted normally...
I wanna know if its bad and whats causing it?
(On safe side I enabled the page file and problem is gone)
Thanks!!

That problem isn't caused by the pagefile going missing - enabling it won't fix the problem.

I run without the pagefile - to stop unnecessary backing store disk / ssd accesses - and to recover 32GB from my SSD boot drive. The only problem I have found with running no pagefile, is some programs like XTU won't display some of their monitoring data - turning on a 200MB pagefile fixes that.

Are you running Windows 8.1 or 8.0? Updating the BIOS to the latest version on my JH caused that problem for a while, but when I updated all my drivers to Windows 8.1 - and set my BIOS to defaults - not sure which solved it, the double power button push boot problem stopped.

Before updating to Windows 8.1 you can update all the drivers to the latest 8.1 versions found in the new G750 JM/JS/JZ download areas - look for your specific hardware - look in the Programs and Features list of drivers already installed - and download the latest ones and install,

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Let us know how it works out for you 🙂

hmscott wrote:
That problem isn't caused by the pagefile going missing - enabling it won't fix the problem.

I run without the pagefile - to stop unnecessary backing store disk / ssd accesses - and to recover 32GB from my SSD boot drive. The only problem I have found with running no pagefile, is some programs like XTU won't display some of their monitoring data - turning on a 200MB pagefile fixes that.

Are you running Windows 8.1 or 8.0? Updating the BIOS to the latest version on my JH caused that problem for a while, but when I updated all my drivers to Windows 8.1 - and set my BIOS to defaults - not sure which solved it, the double power button push boot problem stopped.

Before updating to Windows 8.1 you can update all the drivers to the latest 8.1 versions found in the new G750 JM/JS/JZ download areas - look for your specific hardware - look in the Programs and Features list of drivers already installed - and download the latest ones and install,

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Let us know how it works out for you 🙂

I am running Win8 (came with laptop) and BIOS version is 208 (came with laptop)
Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier...
Its not a hardware problem right??
And it has been 2 days since that double power problem didn't come (after re-enabling pagefile)
I think it's solved, I'll keep it that way...
If the problem comes back... I'll ask u guys again 🙂

Akash22 wrote:
I am running Win8 (came with laptop) and BIOS version is 208 (came with laptop)
Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier...
Its not a hardware problem right??
And it has been 2 days since that double power problem didn't come (after re-enabling pagefile)
I think it's solved, I'll keep it that way...
If the problem comes back... I'll ask u guys again 🙂

Akash22, the problem came and went for me the same way, unrelated changes I made I attributed to solving the problem, but it is just as likely it went away on it's own independant of the changes I made.

As I said the problem went away for me, and I still have the pagefile disabled, and have fastboot and hibernate disabled too. I haven't had the double start up problem for a long time on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Don't let it keep you from upgrading or further tuning of your system 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Akash22, the problem came and went for me the same way, unrelated changes I made I attributed to solving the problem, but it is just as likely it went away on it's own independant of the changes I made.

As I said the problem went away for me, and I still have the pagefile disabled, and have fastboot and hibernate disabled too. I haven't had the double start up problem for a long time on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Don't let it keep you from upgrading or further tuning of your system 🙂

I won't hold back 🙂
It won't have bad impact on my system right?

Akash22 wrote:
I won't hold back 🙂
It won't have bad impact on my system right?

You really only need the pagefile if you have less than 8GB of memory, you need to do kernel debugging - you need to be able to save the crash image, or if an application uses system calls that require a paging file.

If you set a 200-800MB paging file that is the most conservative while being the least obtrusive in resource usage. Running without a paging file won't hurt your system, I have been doing it for years on low end and high end systems without a problem.

Google disable hibernate fastboot and check that out too, you can recover another large amount of your C drive space - hiberfil.sys takes the size of your memory in C drive space.

Here is good example of the options, I used Option Three:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

hmscott wrote:

Here is good example of the options, I used Option Three:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I have (also) been using Option 3.3 A.Disable Hibernate since Nov-13 without any problems and regained app. 12Gb on the C-drive.
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M