Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jhuk
    It does not and cannot work on my Mobo as it stands right now which is all 4 pin headers!

I have no clue on your set up!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by GOTFrog View Post
    actually it does, just set fan to manual in the fan control part of the UEFI, I tried and it works great on my D14 with stock 3 pin fans
    I saw your post on the other forum...

Now if only any@ASUS could let us know what's going on.

Jote
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTFrog View Post
    actually it does, just set fan to manual in the fan control part of the UEFI, I tried and it works great on my D14 with stock 3 pin fans
    Please confirm that you are using CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT fanheaders(above cpusocket). I've noticed that i can control 3-pin fans from chassis fan connectors. CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT will only control 4-pin fans. It seems that fan xpert and bios regulate chassis fan speeds by cpu temperature so you can use them for cpufans and vice versa. Unfortunately you cannot control chassisfans one by one, but all three will get same voltage.

This is very irritating because even cheapest Asrock(etc.) motherboards can control allkinds of fans. My 160€ motherboard can't and there's not enykind of mention in specifications. Most of the good fans are still with 3-pin connector. Especially those with good static pressure.

I would like to hear from Asus if it's hardware or softwareproblem and if it was made like this on purpose. I would ask from customer service but i know that the asnwer would be like "Thank for contacting blahblahblahblahblah. Have a good day". After that i wouldn't be any smarter.

jhuk
    The full blown Maximus Z and Gene are eventuality the same even same Bios build and I have went back and double checked every fan header and none can control a 3pins Fan apart from ones with Duty Cycle control, which basically stops the fan!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jote View Post
    I would like to hear from Asus
    Good luck. I came specifically to ask them and they never replied. I had hope for such a simple question but I'm losing faith.

Brian@ASUS
    Correct, you need a 4pin fan to control your fan. 3 pin fans can be controlled with a rehostat that controls voltage which adjusts speed. through the bios, with the 4pin, the fan has a sensor to tell it to spin x amount of RPMs

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Spathi PC Specs
    Spathi PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IV Gene-Z
    Processori7 2600k
    Memory (part number)16G Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 1.25V
    Graphics Card #1Galax GTX 980 V2
    Monitor2x AOC 2795e MVA
    Storage #16x M4 500Gig
    CPU CoolerMini NinJa Passive
    CaseAntec NSK2480B - Black Micro ATX
    Power SupplyAntec EarthWatts EA-380D
    Keyboard SteelKeys 7G
    Headset x-box headset
    OS Windows 7
    Network RouterNF3ADV
    Accessory #1 2x ENERMAX T.B SILENCE
    Accessory #2 CyberPower BRICs LCD 650 VA / 390 Watts UPS

Brian could you look into seeing if we could get lower speed settings for the fans in the BIOS? Quiet is not very low... It is OK for 1300RPM fans which drop to 700, but 2000RPM fans only drop to 1100. All these fans can drop to 300 or 400 RPM.

Even better... Normal could be 250-300rpm lower for idle.

ASUS AI control also needs lower limits and having MB limited to 60% is annoying

There was also a report that changing from fan setting from Normal to Quiet changed CPU core voltage!!!, not sure how true that is though.

Cheers

RE headers: I don't think they should change the expensive digital PWM header for a cheap analog one. Probably best to just buy a good PWM fan and be done with it. If you have a water cooler then use MB, if you have a custom cooler that does not let u swap the fan??... I would hack it to swap it anyway.

jhuk
    How not give us the headers like the Asus Crosshair had for CPU?

It had Bios option to switch from 3pin to 4pin and worked fine!

Not many high end coolers/fans even use 4pins (TT/Noctua etc)!

Jote
    Quote Originally Posted by Spathi View Post
    Brian could you look into seeing if we could get lower speed settings for the fans in the BIOS? Quiet is not very low... It is OK for 1300RPM fans which drop to 700, but 2000RPM fans only drop to 1100. All these fans can drop to 300 or 400 RPM.

Even better... Normal could be 250-300rpm lower for idle.

ASUS AI control also needs lower limits and having MB limited to 60% is annoying
    Asus fan xpert in AI Suite can spin fans lower than 60%. 40% for casefans and 20% for cpu fans. I can't understand, why they didn't put full control to BIOS. Asus has done very good job with overclockability, but this fanthing is way out of line. Extremely dissapointing.

There was also a report that changing from fan setting from Normal to Quiet changed CPU core voltage!!!, not sure how true that is though.
    I tested. No effect as assumed.

RE headers: I don't think they should change the expensive digital PWM header for a cheap analog one. Probably best to just buy a good PWM fan and be done with it. If you have a water cooler then use MB, if you have a custom cooler that does not let u swap the fan??... I would hack it to swap it anyway.
    They don't need to replace. Just add control to the voltageline. It really doesn't even need to be analog. It could be "cheap man's pwm" with switching voltage on and off.

It's pointless to go on about these problems when accident has already happened. If I just would have had a good chat a year ago with engineer responsible...

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array 1ceTr0n's Avatar

Well this is utterly frustrating and lame and it puts my case mod project "Night Fire" with the ASUS ROG color theme on hold. The Coolermaster Sickeflow fans arn't what I call "quiet" at their top speed much to my dissapiontment. On top of that, I found out the hard way that my Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z mobo doesn't allow me to control the chassis fan headers individually. The UEFI Bios also doesn't allow me to set certain RPM's to keep the fans from "ramping" up when the temperature increases inside the case, they go by the chassis temperature and I can't override it. Only now did I find out that the mobo basically "ignores" 3pin fans and wants 4 pin fans. Grrr......

On top of that, running the top 200mm Antec Big boy on the lowest setting creates too much of "negative" pressure inside the case, especially when the front intake fans arn't running at max, which are WAAAY to freaking loud. Well this all just flat out sucks....looks like im gonna have to do some re thinking of the cooling layout of the case

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast