Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

So I tried all the easy fixes that others have reported work to allow the Rampage IV extreme to boot:
    1. Latest bios. 4804
    2. Pulled all the case header cables from the motherboard. Someone else reported theirs had a short.
    3. Bios is reporting all RAM OK so have not removed RAM. Have 32GB of RAM and all bays used.
    4. Tried starting from START button on motherboard. I always try this after every attempt at a fix.
    5. Removed all USB headers from motherboard.
    6. Removed all HDD's and replaced with new SSD's
    7. Cleaned older components with air before replacing them
    8. Checked older RIVE motherboard for bent CPU bed pins. There where none. This is painstaking but used a torch and a magnifying glass to check. Apparently if they are bent a jeweller can fix them, as can a mechanical pencil with no lead in it. Thus i assume I seated CPU well (this aint my first rodeo. Been building my own PCs for 25 years)
    9. Reseated GPU and RAM. This was part of motherboard replacement of course.

So everything works fine once I get the computer on (by cycling the PSU toggle switch over an over and over again). This indicates that the CPU, RAM and GPU are fine. If they aren't fine then it is a non-fatal short that just stops the PSU from powering up the MB because it detects a short to ground.

Only candidates left are:
    1. Power Supply (I don't have a spare PSU to test with)
    2. Case short.
    3. other component short.
    4. PSU incompatibility or instability on a rail. Note the PSU worked fine and I could start the computer via the case button for over a year.

My PSU is a Seasonic Platinum 1000W. I have a 130W CPU, a GTX 680, 7 case fans, a full deck of RAM and 4 SSD's. There is no way this unit is over 1000W.
    So the next thing to try is take the MB out of the case and strip it to bare bones with the PSU attached. See if it boots. If it doesn't then that just leaves the PSU. If it does, then I keep adding components until I find the causative part.
    If none of this works, then it could be the PSU. I will take the board to a fixit shop (I know a good one) and see if they can test it with different RAM/CPU and PSU. Will try all this on Wednesday or later.

ROG Member Array

PROBLEM SOLVED
    Changed the PSU and graphics card and the system now boots. Once the PSU was changed, the MB was showing a red light for the graphics cards PCI slot and system was beeping.
    So in summary, the Rampage IV extreme not booting problem was solved be replacing the PSU and graphics card. Hope this helps others in the same boat. Troubleshooting was difficult because two components where faulty at the same time.
    Both are under warranty so I will get replacements.

ROG Member Array

Just a couple more note that may be useful to people trying to troubleshoot this:
    1. I had the power connected to the power ports near the RAM incorrectly. I had the power split between the two connectors, but one or the other is the norm for these power connectors. Note i am not talking about the main motherboard power connector.
    2. a case fan would not spin. It was rocking back and forth, but not getting enough power to spin outright. This was also a sign that the PSU was at fault.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by juztin7 View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    Changed the PSU and graphics card and the system now boots. Once the PSU was changed, the MB was showing a red light for the graphics cards PCI slot and system was beeping.
    So in summary, the Rampage IV extreme not booting problem was solved be replacing the PSU and graphics card. Hope this helps others in the same boat. Troubleshooting was difficult because two components where faulty at the same time.
    Both are under warranty so I will get replacements.
    My problem was also solved by replacing the PSU. I also have to replace my graphics card but that's due to another reason (overheating since I bought it, sapphire users have this problem apparently).

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar

Add me to the list. I made an old thread about this exact problem several months ago.... I press the power button and the fans & lights connected directly to the psu spin/light for a fraction of a second, then the whole system goes dark. Then it repeats a few seconds later, to infinity. It has happened periodically since I built this system, but somehow it always "magically" just started (sometimes when I wasn't even in the room) and the problem would disappear for months at a time before reocurring. Just recently, though, the problem surfaced again and has persisted for the last 2 weeks. There is nothing I can do to start the system. I've tried a different psu, ram testing, removing peripherals, blah blah blah. The same behavior every time - momentary power to non-motherboard connected peripherals followed by complete loss of power, cycling every few seconds. No POST code on the digital display, no beep code, nothing. The really strange part is I've actually been through 3 RIVEs (or perhaps 3 "overhauls" of the same RIVE? I'm not sure whether they returned the original board "repaired" or sent me a new one) with 2 different cpu's and 2 different power supplies, and each setup has sooner or later had this same problem.

Here's a brief video I posted of the issue when I first encountered it back in Dec 2013 --> youtube.com/watch?v=jK1nRF18oV0

Same exact behavior now, except this time it didn't go away. Whatever circuit/relay was "degrading" is now busted completely.

Finally, after exhaustive troubleshooting this weekend I broke down and just ordered a new motherboard altogether. With some reservations, I went with a RIVB, hoping whatever circuitry in the RIVE that systematically breaks down to cause this exact issue is more stable in the RIVB (or at least that I'll get lucky with a brand new board that doesn't have this problem). Reading now that people are experiencing this same malfunction with the Black just made my heart sink a little. I'm at my wit's end with having to tear apart my system and wc loop every 2 months because it just won't power on.
    Last edited by chrisnyc75; 06-17-2014 at 04:51 AM.
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Have you tried replacing the PSU to a model like the guys above - maybe ask them which model they are using. Seems it solved their problem if you read the posts above.

I am using a PCP 1200 W and AX 1200 on my R4E/BE builds and have had no start up issues.

The other thing one needs to bear in mind is that if a PSU has a slight fault, it can kill a board over time. The difficult thing with that is one needs a oscilloscope to check the PSU properly - full fault checking can't be done with a multimeter or PSU tester. When one has been through as many boards as you, it would be wise to rule out the PSUs being used with those builds entirely. Once the damage is done, replacing the PSU or testing with another won't cure the issue so one gets caught in an ad-infinitum loop of board RMAs.

I'd also check how the boards are being cooled if OC'd. Have seen guys water cooling in the past that don't bother cooling the VRM heatsink with active airflow. If the rig is overclocked or the airflow in that area of the board is poor, it could end up killing the VRM over time. We have safety measures in place, but it's not a guarantee they will uphold the board if exposed to conintued elevated temps. Some of the after market VRM cooling blocks can lead to board death as well - either by being machined poorly for good contact or clamping against the FET die too tightly.

Same goes for overclamping waterblocks to the CPU socket - can induce BGA fractures over time.

I'd carefully rethink the enitre setup. Heck if going through the issue as many times as you I'd even run the board on air cooling for 6 months to see how it reacts - on an open testbed.

All the repeat cases I have seen or dealt with where more than one board has died - in every instance where the user has been vocal about their issues, I have found they are running watercooling rigs. One guy that had a lot of failures would not acknowledge what I had to say about cooling the board and clamping the blocks. However, after he read what I wrote, we never had another RMA from him on his new board again. He was not actively cooling the VRM heatsink from what I recall - but was overclocking his CPU. Suspect he went back and cooled things properly.

-Raja

Thanks for the insight, Raja. It's not my psu, I specifically replaced my psu about 5 months ago (thinking it was the problem) with an EVGA psu that was since recalled & replaced with a brand new one yet again, and have encountered the same failure with all 3 psu's. I've also extensively troubleshot RAM to rule out any memory issues, and inspected the entire board front & back literally with a magnifying glass looking for any sign of a blown transistor or broken circuit. All attempts have come up empty. I've also re-seated the cpu & block several times being careful to mount it evenly and not too tight.

You're correct in assuming I do not have the VRM watercooled, but I really think I have sufficient airflow to keep it from overheating; I'm also not pushing the system THAT hard to overheat the vrm I don't think? My gpu's run at stock speed/power, my ram is 1.5v (XMP), and I never let vcore go above 1.35v. Furthermore, I ran the chipset fan at full "turbo" 24/7 on my RIVE, and with the air-pipe design of the heatsink that should have provided a decent amount of cooling I would think. Adding a VRM block to my rig would be a tight squeeze, but if I run into this problem with my new RIVB (god forbid!) that's the first thing I'll try. Thanks
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

TBH adding a waterblock to the VRM is the last thing I woud do - there is more chance of a board dying with an aftermarket block attached to it than not. THe machining of most commercial blocks and QA leaves a lot to be desired (even the best known and adored brands).

I would in your situation go through the whol eopen test bed thing on air for a few months and see what gives (stock settings). At this point, it would be the most prudent thing to do.

-Raja

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    TBH adding a waterblock to the VRM is the last thing I woud do - there is more chance of a board dying with an aftermarket block attached to it than not. THe machining of most commercial blocks and QA leaves a lot to be desired (even the best known and adored brands).

I would in your situation go through the whol eopen test bed thing on air for a few months and see what gives (stock settings). At this point, it would be the most prudent thing to do.

-Raja
    Yeah, that's why I skipped the full coverage thing in the first place. TBH, the heatpipe design on the RIVE struck me as rather ingenious and seemed to make active wc for the chipset/vrm even more unnecessary than usual.

And while I appreciate the prudent advice, after the last 6 months of ongoing issues with this system, the last thing I want to do is spend the next few months with my $5K system sitting on a block of wood at stock settings with a bunch of fans on it. I'd sooner part it out to recoup some of the cost and just get an iPad instead. I'm just going to rebuild the system with the new RIVB very carefully and cross my fingers.

I do very much appreciate the help & advice, though.

I would urge you not to. I follow the reasoning but I also don't - three boards in a row is significant and warrants not taking another gamble..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast