cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SW-XN1 Power Button Problem

Ioriya
Level 7
Hi,

So today i tried to turn my laptop on at 6:30AM.

it was a cold boot, no battery in, using power cord.

pressed the button once, thought it was just me. so i press it a second time and it comes on.

Later, while i'm at school i try to turn it on(cold boot, 10:30AM). This time with no power cord and running on battery and the same thing happened, it turned on only after i pressed it the second or third time.

So i knew something was wrong.

I come back home after school and its 5:00PM. I try to turn the laptop on with battery and power cord in this time. Pressed it 10 times with like 0.5 second interval between presses. it still didnt turn on.

i remove the battery and leave the cord in and tried turning it on. it still doesnt power up.

then i decide to put battery back in and left power cord plugged in. this time it finally powered up.

So is this the power button issue i'm experiencing? i haven't mistreated this laptop and i got it on June 1st, 2011.

EDIT: Laptop power button works fine ONLY after i at least get it to boot up once from cold boot.
8 REPLIES 8

grungeboy2
Level 10
sounds like a faulty connection. might have to rma.

Ioriya
Level 7
could this be caused by the heat being generated by the GPU near the power button?

maybe, or it could be cause by any number of factors.

hard to say when things go bad like that, what exactly caused it to fail.

Retired
Not applicable
I got the same laptop from ebay. Unboxed it and charged the battery for 3 hours (some say its useful to fully charge your battery first time). Can you feel my frustration when I couldn't turn it on? I spent about 3 hours trying to get it powered on. It turns out that the problem is in the magnet that detects whether the lid is closed or not. So now, every time when I turn this crap on I rub my smartphone over the surface near touchpad (usually right side) and voila!

I know you may have a little different problem, but I ran across your thread several times when trying to find a solution. So I think someone may find this helpful.

JRd1st
Level 12
Send the darn thing back! You have a microswitch that's getting stuck. You shouldn't have to do anything special to turn it on....
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

AMOGamog
Level 7
Bought a g53 sw last week (13 dec 11) and having the same problem the power switch not working. After doing some research i rekon its the switch that is connected to the screen closing that is faulty ie the switch that turns off the laptop when the screen closes sticks even when the screen is open. Therefore disabling all buttons

1) the laptop power button never has a problem going to sleep ( screen is open when you put to sleep)
2) if i turn the laptop off but dont close the screen. The button works all the time
3) if i close the screen then open it the error shows up again

A temporary solution that works well is turning the laptop upside down and powering it on. Works all the time 🙂 hope this helps someone else. Im taking it to asus tomorrow

AMOGamog wrote:
Bought a g53 sw last week (13 dec 11) and having the same problem the power switch not working. After doing some research i rekon its the switch that is connected to the screen closing that is faulty ie the switch that turns off the laptop when the screen closes sticks even when the screen is open. Therefore disabling all buttons

1) the laptop power button never has a problem going to sleep ( screen is open when you put to sleep)
2) if i turn the laptop off but dont close the screen. The button works all the time
3) if i close the screen then open it the error shows up again

A temporary solution that works well is turning the laptop upside down and powering it on. Works all the time 🙂 hope this helps someone else. Im taking it to asus tomorrow

That may be a problem with the magnetic reed switch that tells the notebook if the lid is opened or closed.

Let us know what happens. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

AMOGamog
Level 7
ok took it to asus third party repairer today
im in auckland new zealand and not far from them
did some paperwork and they were able to fix it in about half an hour! which was awesome

the magnetic switch which is apprently on the camera and touchpad wasnt connected properly so they were able to fix it easily.

very happy 🙂