cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

750JX Dram Frequency Inconsistency - Is this right?

GoreRanger
Level 7
I have a memory upgrade issue resulting in numerous BSOD's which I first posted here - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46398-Asus-G750JX-Memory-Upgrade-Issue&country=&status=

I didn't receive a response so I'm not sure if this is just a unique problem or that no one knows what the resolution is. However, today I was doing some further testing and I noticed that my DRAM frequency is fluctuating widely - from 773mhz to 824mhz. That seems odd to me. I don't believe I have seen that kind of activity in any pc I've ever had. That seems to be pretty unstable to me. Does anyone else have experience with this? My BSOD issue could certainly be related to this if my gskill DIMMs can't handle this kind of unstable frequency. Should I RMA this notebook? I'm not sure what the hardware issue could be but something seems odd.
8 REPLIES 8

hmscott
Level 12
GoreRanger wrote:
I have a memory upgrade issue resulting in numerous BSOD's which I first posted here - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46398-Asus-G750JX-Memory-Upgrade-Issue&country=&status=

I didn't receive a response so I'm not sure if this is just a unique problem or that no one knows what the resolution is. However, today I was doing some further testing and I noticed that my DRAM frequency is fluctuating widely - from 773mhz to 824mhz. That seems odd to me. I don't believe I have seen that kind of activity in any pc I've ever had. That seems to be pretty unstable to me. Does anyone else have experience with this? My BSOD issue could certainly be related to this if my gskill DIMMs can't handle this kind of unstable frequency. Should I RMA this notebook? I'm not sure what the hardware issue could be but something seems odd.

GoreRanger, there are lots of threads on memory compatibility, and a sticky too.

We can't answer every one of these questions individually, at least we hope we don't need to 🙂

How about I do it one more time just for you, if you promise to spend a few enjoyable days reading the past forum entries to catch yourself up on all the other fun details on the G750's? 🙂

The answer to this thread is simple. You have incompatible memory, and the laptop memory section is doing it's best to try to make it work for you, setting speeds unique for each part, while trying to make it work overall - and it isn't succeeding. It isn't a laptop failure, it is a memory parts mismatch that the laptop can't make work.

I will answer the rest of the question in the first thread.

GoreRanger
Level 7
Thanks for the response. I have in fact read everything on this forum I could relating to this issue. I may have missed something. I did select my memory after reading what kind I should get. I apologize for not being clear in this thread. The dram frequency inconsistency is with the stock memory installed only. The gskill dimms are not installed. Thats why I thought there is something wrong with the notebook hardware.

GoreRanger wrote:
Thanks for the response. I have in fact read everything on this forum I could relating to this issue. I may have missed something. I did select my memory after reading what kind I should get. I apologize for not being clear in this thread. The dram frequency inconsistency is with the stock memory installed only. The gskill dimms are not installed. Thats why I thought there is something wrong with the notebook hardware.

GoreRanger, can you please post a screenshot or two to show us the installed RAM frequency inconsistency?

Yes, I have 4 to share. The frequency is changing every second. There is a wide variation from 773mhz to 844mhz that I saw over about 3 minutes. 35955 359563595735958

GoreRanger wrote:
Yes, I have 4 to share. The frequency is changing every second. There is a wide variation from 773mhz to 844mhz that I saw over about 3 minutes...

GoreRanger, nothing to worry about, mine is showing an even wider jump, I saw 615mhz, and jumps into the 860 range, and there is nothing wrong with my RAM 🙂

It looks like there are other people seeing the same thing, on the speccy forum:

Fluctuating DRAM Frequency
http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=38268

And, elsewhere:

DRAM Frequency Fluctuating
http://www.computerforum.com/205855-dram-frequency-fluctuating.html

Speccy is new, and if you want to help them out, report the problem - it looks like a sampling issue. They should be rejecting outlier readings and not displaying them at least, and at best they should tighten up their sampling code.

If they are getting good readings, and those are real fluctuations, then it is a view into the live dynamic speed of the bus - but afaik, it should be a fixed speed - unless a refresh cycle is caught, but idk how they are doing that.

Either way, you aren't alone, and it isn't anything to worry about.

Try CPU-Z, HWinfo64, AIDA64.

GoreRanger
Level 7
Ok good to know. I fired up CPZ and yeah the frequency is holding steady at 799.x where x fluctuates a few points up and down. Very different. Thanks very much for solving that. So basically my gskill memory despite being the same spec wise is just incompatible with the existing Samsung modules. Well I will have to find a new home for the gskills and grab some Samsung modules of the same type.

GoreRanger wrote:
Ok good to know. I fired up CPZ and yeah the frequency is holding steady at 799.x where x fluctuates a few points up and down. Very different. Thanks very much for solving that. So basically my gskill memory despite being the same spec wise is just incompatible with the existing Samsung modules. Well I will have to find a new home for the gskills and grab some Samsung modules of the same type.

You could return the G.Skill's, memory vendors understand compatibility issues. Depending on the vendor they might be able to get the model Samsung's you want.

You could also get 2 more of the same G.skills and have a local service shop put all 4 in for you.

GoreRanger
Level 7
Unfortunately I am past the 30 day window for returning to NewEgg. I did consider getting another set of Gskills but the Samsungs are pretty close to the same price and I know those work. And they would be much easier to install. Thanks again, you have been incredibly helpful.