Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array Honami PC Specs
    Honami PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorCore i7-6900K @ 4.0 Ghz
    Memory (part number)64 GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000Mhz (4X16)
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Sound CardASUS Strix Raid Pro
    MonitorDELL U2715H
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GBX2 Raid 0
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Graphite 760T
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 860W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Specurum
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
    Headset Sennheiser HD8-DJ
    Mouse Pad Roccat Hiro+
    Headset/Speakers Microlab SOLO 9C
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Question ASUS G750JZ SSD Replacement

    Just got my new G750JZ and i want to replace the SanDisk SSD with Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
    I know how to do it (did this multiple times before) BUT i don't want to lose my Windows 8 code as the serial i heard built in into the bios or something like that?
    How can i replace the SSD and keep my windows 8 code?
    Local asus support in israel is pretty bad with tech support for ROG laptops.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array nview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Use, before uninstalling your samsung ssd, Asus Backtracker and a 16Gb usb pendrive to make a factory windows 8 installation.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Honami View Post
    Just got my new G750JZ and i want to replace the SanDisk SSD with Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
    I know how to do it (did this multiple times before) BUT i don't want to lose my Windows 8 code as the serial i heard built in into the bios or something like that?
    How can i replace the SSD and keep my windows 8 code?
    Local asus support in israel is pretty bad with tech support for ROG laptops.
    When you clone the old drive to the new drive put the new drive in Bay 2 to clone, then the old drive before booting - swap the new drive into bay 1 where the old drive was. It will boot fine, and your Windows serial isn't a problem.

    If you go the Backtracker restore route, do the backup onto a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive - not a USB 2.0 - it's too darned slow

    Before doing the restore to the new SSD, make sure you pull all the other drives out of the laptop, as Backtracker restore will blow both drives away and recreate the partitions to OEM spec before restoring the OS drive.

    I use Macrium Reflect for cloning, it also lets you resize the partitions.
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Another thought, my JH has a special adapter in Bay 1, with 2 NGFF SSD's in RAID0 - you can't remove that adapter to put in a 2.5" drive.

    I think the JZ comes in 2 models, one with 2 NGFF SSD's in RAID0 and one with only 1 SSD - but I don't know if it is an NGFF drive or a 2.5" drive. If your JZ has the NGFF adapter in bay 1 you won't be able to swap out with a 2.5" Samsung 840 Pro.

    The 2 x 128GB's in my JH are also Sandisk SSD's... you might want to pull the bottom panel and look into bay 1 to see what you have.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array Honami PC Specs
    Honami PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorCore i7-6900K @ 4.0 Ghz
    Memory (part number)64 GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000Mhz (4X16)
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Sound CardASUS Strix Raid Pro
    MonitorDELL U2715H
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GBX2 Raid 0
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Graphite 760T
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 860W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Specurum
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
    Headset Sennheiser HD8-DJ
    Mouse Pad Roccat Hiro+
    Headset/Speakers Microlab SOLO 9C
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    When you clone the old drive to the new drive put the new drive in Bay 2 to clone, then the old drive before booting - swap the new drive into bay 1 where the old drive was. It will boot fine, and your Windows serial isn't a problem.

    If you go the Backtracker restore route, do the backup onto a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive - not a USB 2.0 - it's too darned slow

    Before doing the restore to the new SSD, make sure you pull all the other drives out of the laptop, as Backtracker restore will blow both drives away and recreate the partitions to OEM spec before restoring the OS drive.

    I use Macrium Reflect for cloning, it also lets you resize the partitions.
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Another thought, my JH has a special adapter in Bay 1, with 2 NGFF SSD's in RAID0 - you can't remove that adapter to put in a 2.5" drive.

    I think the JZ comes in 2 models, one with 2 NGFF SSD's in RAID0 and one with only 1 SSD - but I don't know if it is an NGFF drive or a 2.5" drive. If your JZ has the NGFF adapter in bay 1 you won't be able to swap out with a 2.5" Samsung 840 Pro.

    The 2 x 128GB's in my JH are also Sandisk SSD's... you might want to pull the bottom panel and look into bay 1 to see what you have.
    My specific model (the only one that avalible in israel) have only 1 SSD. So how should i proceed to do the process good as possible? I don't care to buy windows 8.1 pro for my laptop and start fresh but if i have OEM license so i better stick with it.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Honami View Post
    My specific model (the only one that avalible in israel) have only 1 SSD. So how should i proceed to do the process good as possible? I don't care to buy windows 8.1 pro for my laptop and start fresh but if i have OEM license so i better stick with it.
    The Windows license is built into the laptop, so you can go ahead and either clone the original drive, or if you haven't done much configuration, or like to do it again cleanly, you can use Asus Backtracker to make a USB 3.0 16GB backup of the OS, and then use that to restore to your new SSD.

    The Asus Backtracker restore will blow away any partitions it sees on drives it sees in the 2 drive bays, so if you want to preserve the data on the Bay 2 drive, pull it before the restore and put it back in afterwards.

    The Asus Backtracker backup will only backup the OS recovery data, not you personal data, so be sure and back up your stuff before doing the restore.

    Asus Backtracker Download
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    USB 2.0 is waaay too slow for this process - I know I tried it both with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 media, go out and get a fast USB3.0 to dedicate to the Asus Backtracker recovery drive

    I put the old HD into an external USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure to be able to access the drive / free space, you can do the same - I would preserve the install on the original drive, just in case you need to send in the G750 for service - Asus prefers all original parts / OS installed for service.

    For cloning I used Macrium Reflect, it lets you size the destination partitions to fit a larger HD into a smaller SSD, and worked well for me a number of times.

    Macrium Reflect Free
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Let us know how it works out for you Honami!

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array Honami PC Specs
    Honami PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorCore i7-6900K @ 4.0 Ghz
    Memory (part number)64 GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000Mhz (4X16)
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    Sound CardASUS Strix Raid Pro
    MonitorDELL U2715H
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GBX2 Raid 0
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Graphite 760T
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 860W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Specurum
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
    Headset Sennheiser HD8-DJ
    Mouse Pad Roccat Hiro+
    Headset/Speakers Microlab SOLO 9C
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    The Windows license is built into the laptop, so you can go ahead and either clone the original drive, or if you haven't done much configuration, or like to do it again cleanly, you can use Asus Backtracker to make a USB 3.0 16GB backup of the OS, and then use that to restore to your new SSD.

    The Asus Backtracker restore will blow away any partitions it sees on drives it sees in the 2 drive bays, so if you want to preserve the data on the Bay 2 drive, pull it before the restore and put it back in afterwards.

    The Asus Backtracker backup will only backup the OS recovery data, not you personal data, so be sure and back up your stuff before doing the restore.

    Asus Backtracker Download
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    USB 2.0 is waaay too slow for this process - I know I tried it both with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 media, go out and get a fast USB3.0 to dedicate to the Asus Backtracker recovery drive

    I put the old HD into an external USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure to be able to access the drive / free space, you can do the same - I would preserve the install on the original drive, just in case you need to send in the G750 for service - Asus prefers all original parts / OS installed for service.

    For cloning I used Macrium Reflect, it lets you size the destination partitions to fit a larger HD into a smaller SSD, and worked well for me a number of times.

    Macrium Reflect Free
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    Let us know how it works out for you Honami!
    So backup with ASUS Backtracker will put the OS to the state of clean install when i will restore the OS to the new SSD?
    After i installed the new SSD i need to change something in the BIOS? (boot priority from USB flash drive)

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Honami View Post
    So backup with ASUS Backtracker will put the OS to the state of clean install when i will restore the OS to the new SSD?
    After i installed the new SSD i need to change something in the BIOS? (boot priority from USB flash drive)
    The easiest way is to pull the boot drive out of Bay 1, and put the new SSD in that bay, and take out the drive in Bay 2 to preserve it during the restore - as the restore will re-partition any drive it finds in Bay1/Bay2 during the restore.

    Then the new SSD will get partitioned like the original disk and the OS and Asus original configuration will get installed. After the restore you will reboot on the new SSD, and then you can shutdown and put the Bay 2 drive back in.

    Then you will have an OS configuration just like it came out of the box, which means you will need to do all the updates and configurations / installations again.

    Then you can take the original boot drive and put it in an external USB 3.0 case and plug it into the G750 to use the extra space - I would recommend preserving the original boot drive configuration in case you need to put it back in if you need to send the G750 in for service.

    Let us know how it works out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •