cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula z Pci e malfunction (no power)

Samson_Xaviers
Level 7
Hello guys i'm new to this forum and if i posted this on the wrong thread please forgive me anyways.. I have some weird issues with the pci express on my asus crosshair formula z motherboard. The the power on the pci e suddenly drops and the graphic card fans stop spinning, It was working fine for like 6 months and now i get random reboots the q code on the board reads FF or 50 and the dram and vga diagnostics led light lights up every time the system freezes, so far i managed to fix the issue by inserting a molex power cable into the motherboard but i think something is broken so do i need to rma the board ? ps the smps, ram and the graphic card works fine i tested it on a different machine and i also tried re flashing the mb bios with the latest firmware

OS Windows 7 Sp1 64
Processor:AMD FX-8350 at 4Ghz
RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL10-8GBXL X 2 (16)GB (Profile set by D.O.C.P at 1866 Mhz )
Motherboard: CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Bios version 2002) (Updated with bios update tool)
Graphic Card: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
SMPS CORSAIR CX430
9 REPLIES 9

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Samson.Xaviers and welcome to the Forum. You should list your system specs in your post or your signature so we can better see whats going on.
The are many great helpers here on the Forum to help you get sorted. Your problems could be your PSU, It maybe dust gotten into your card slot, Did you update your BIOS to 2002 and how did you update it. To start with list your specs.
It is rather early to RMA the card don't you think?
That Q-Code 50 is an indication of miss match or failure to recognize your DIMMS. Make sure they are seated correctly and go into your BIOS and check to see if the config settings have changed. If necessary reset to default and reboot. Hope this helps.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Samson_Xaviers
Level 7
I tried running a stress test on the cpu and gpu for 8hours and it works fine its only when i remove the molex power cable from the motherboard the system freezes and the diagnostic led lights up.. it was never like that before

ganji
Level 13
Hi Samson and welcome to the R.O.G forum.

Have you tested a different power supply at all as the CX 430 is not enough to power an oc'd 8350 and a GTX 680 when the 680 requires about 550w. According to your psu's spec's it only has 1x 6+2 PCIE so what cables do you have connected to the gpu's power connection?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_review,9.html

The CX430 V2 only has a single 28A-rated 12V rail with which it can output a maximum of 336W; at this price, this amount is plenty. The PSU is also rated to produce 20A from both its 3.3V and 5V rails, and 3A from its 5VSB rail.

Quoted from this review http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/09/13/what-is-the-best-400-599w-psu/4

Samson_Xaviers
Level 7
Thanks for your reply and no i haven't tested the system with a new smps yet but i'm sure the smps has enough juice to run the graphic card without problems i'm using the 1x 6+2 PCIE and a 4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCI-Express Convertor Cable to power the graphic card it was working fine 24*7 for 6 months (i do mine alternate coins) and its working fine now but freezes as soon as i remove the molex power connector from the motherboard that is designed to give extra power to the pci-e slots

Samson.Xaviers wrote:
Thanks for your reply and no i haven't tested the system with a new smps yet but i'm sure the smps has enough juice to run the graphic card without problems i'm using the 1x 6+2 PCIE and a 4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCI-Express Convertor Cable to power the graphic card it was working fine 24*7 for 6 months (i do mine alternate coins) and its working fine now but freezes as soon as i remove the molex power connector from the motherboard that is designed to give extra power to the pci-e slots

You're welcome mate, If it was me though my first step would be to try an alternative psu as the CX 430 is below the minimum requirements for both cpu and gpu. I would try at least a 700w psu. The psu is THE most important part of a build so cheapin gout on that should not be an option, If you spend good money on a high quality mobo and other parts but then buy a cheap psu it's asking for trouble.

working fine 24*7 for 6 months

I am an electronics tech by degree so I can tell you that this statement is not the best advice to follow 🙂 Just so we are clear it is NOT unusual for electronic devices to begin to use MORE wattage as they get older...in as little as a week this can happen.

Hope this helps you to invest in a new PSU 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench
Level 10
First the EZPLUG (molex plug near the PCIe slot nearest the CPU socket) has been implemented on this motherboard to ensure that enough wattage is supplied to the PCIe slots (the standard is that each PCIx16 slot is able to provide 75 watts of power). I know according to the manual this is only needed when using two graphic cards but if you are having the VGA LED on then your graphics cards is pulling a lot of extra power so be sure to keep the EZPLUG populated.

Secondly as already stated you need to upgrade your PSU for the following reason:
a) you don't have enough power plugs to properly power your CPU let alone your Graphic Card. The use of "cheater cables" do nothing more than add extra load to a already overload "rail" of the PSU.

b) Also burning your system is the worst you can do because if you connected a PWM (Power Watt Meter) you would see that your system draws about 140 watts doing nothing and when you stress test your system you are using well over 400 watts (I have a Matrix R9 280X plus a FX-8350 and I draw well over 550 Watts when stress testing).

With that said I would start with a new PSU...I would suggest the Thermaltake DPS series PSU as they have a USB port where you can monitor the wattage and voltages directly from the PSU).

I would also reset your memory and maybe try only running one memory module at a time to see if you can get past the DIMM_LED error.

Meantime makes sure you have the following connectors populated:
-Aux 4-Pin CPU Power
-Aux 8-Pin CPU Power
-EZPlug
- All PCIe connectors on your graphics card

Post back with more questions.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Samson_Xaviers
Level 7
The issue was resolved after a bios flash. [BIOS V 2101 2014/05/22]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for posting back with the outcome.

Enjoy your system
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.