cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Vcore offset

Alaxang
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I just managed to reduce my Vcore using offset (minus) to the point of stability.

My Rig:
X79 RIVBE
CPU I74960X
Ram: 1 kit 32 Gb (4 x 8 Gb) Quad channel Cosair Dominator 1866Mhz

As I was saying, I set the OC Ratio to 45 giving me 4.5Ghz
and I was trying to find the lowest vcore for this frequency.

I tried using the Vcore offset Minus- and reducing the voltage to -0.1v (-0.12v will lead to BSOD) from the vcore voltage.
now my PC is going at 4.5Ghz @1.168v . Is this a very low Vcore ? Should I increase it to like around 1.2v (-0.08v offset) ?
Temp(load) at 1.168v is around 55-60 degree (using Watercooling)

I am not very familiar with overclocking (mostly reading guides at the sticky sections under rampage)
My Ram is only set to 1600mhz(1 ratio down) (somehow the PC hang during gaming yesterday when It was at 1866mhz (x.m.p profile).
6 REPLIES 6

NEOAethyr
Level 7
IBT and lynx (both are essentially the same thing) are good progs that will give you a fast result.
They will give you the general idea of where vcore needs to be.

However if you are extremely close to the edge of vcore perfection lol, they won't find errors, period (ran them both for over 12hrs).
The only way to find such errors is to run 8hrs of Y-Cruncher.

I have not tried prime though so can't say either way for that program at the moment, I haven't ran prime for years so...

Use either ibt or lynx, and it'll pretty do what you want, use the defaults on them, no need to run it for hours.

Alaxang
Level 7
Hi Neo,

Yes I am using IBT to test for stability.
But I do notice there are some bug with IBT. If I restart the PC and open IBT upon getting into window, sometimes the first 2 round of test will give me error(non BSOD)
after 2-3 loops. However the 3rd test onward, I can passed all the run without any issue haha.

LOL. There were no replies when I started typing that 🙂

If you're getting errors with IBT, then you'll need to up your Vcore. Just because it doesn't error every time doesn't mean that it's a bug in the program. It's far more likely to be a stability issue.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Melting_Point
Level 10
Well you really want to keep it as low as you can, because more Vcore means more heat, so I wouldn't raise it unlit you need to. How are you testing it for stability? I use 3 programs for testing mine. OCCT, Intel burn test, and the every reliable Prime95. You should be able to run on all of these for at least a few hours. But you will need some sort of active cooling on your VRM.

The freezing during gaming may well be a CPU stability issue. It so, you should pick that up with one of the above test suites.
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD

Alaxang
Level 7
But the fact that even at default optimum setting the first run of IBT is giving me error already haha...
I still remember the setting was like 4Ghz. DDR1333. I open IBT application upon window and bam error on the 2nd loop.
Subsequent run however passed all the test.
I noticed this always happen during the first few sec after I enter desktop. However, If I give it like a min or so before starting IBT, I don't get this type of error. Its like there is some sort of program running in the background that needs time to settle down before I can proceed with the IBT not giving me error on the first run haha. Antivirus perhaps?

Interesting. I've never seen IBT give false errors like this before. Maybe try prime95 or OCCT, or lynx as suggested by NEOAethyr, and see if you get the same early failure.