cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ w/ Nvidia 880M want to disable Optimus and run only 880M card not Intel

Schenges
Level 7
So just purchased a G750JZ w/ Nvidia 880M and the notebook is only running the integrated Intel graphics... paid all this money for the worlds best mobile graphics... I don't want to use the stupid integrated graphics Asus and Nvidia what the heck. I understand it runs the integrated to save battery, I don't need to save battery if I plugged into AC. I tried calling Asus tech support and they were useless and clueless, I knew more then they did. The Nvidia control panel will not disable the Intel graphics even after I change settings in it to use the 880M. Can anyone tell me how to disable Optimus and use only 880M, I went into device manager and disabled the Intel graphics but then it also disabled the Nvidia control panel which leads me to believe the 880M still isn't running and isn't the result i'm looking for. Someone help... frustrated, about to return laptop. My other G750 w/ 780M ran the dedicated card 100% of the time.
86 REPLIES 86

Moogum
Level 7
I have the same problem with my 750JM with an 860M, intel onboard takes primary command and cannot disable through device manager. I think it may be the reason my Diablo III will not run with video.

Schenges
Level 7
Yeah it is a serious problem. The G750's w/ Nvidia 700M series graphics would always run the dedicated graphics which was great... that's why we pay the big bucks for these high end graphics cards... is to use them not the Intel integrated you get when you buy a base line notebook. I hope someone from ASUS ROG reads this and offers incite to a fix as the Asus tech support phone help were clueless.

X-ROG
Level 15
In device manager go to display adapters, then disable Intel HD Graphics. After rebooting this should make your GTX 800 run all the time. This works for me on my G46 and GTX 660M

GottiBoi55
Level 10
There's two things to do.(steps 4, and 5)

1. Open NVIDIA control panel.
2. Manage 3D settings
3. Global settings tab
4. Power Management Mode settings, select "Prefer Maximum Performance"
5. Preferred Graphic Processor settings, change from "Auto select" to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

These settings should use your NVIDIA GTX card for most, but not all programs.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

I did both ideas and it didn't work. @Gotti changing control panel setting to max performance did nothing. @marshall when I disable the Intel adapter in device manager the Nvidia control panel no longer works saying: You are no longer using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU

Schenges wrote:
I did both ideas and it didn't work. @Gotti changing control panel setting to max performance did nothing. @marshall when I disable the Intel adapter in device manager the Nvidia control panel no longer works saying: You are no longer using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU

well, it looks like the only solution for this issue is for Asus to address this issue in a BIOS update!

PS: Just wondering, have you looked in the BIOS for any dedicated graphics card settings?
Some other laptop manufactures have settings in the BIOS for the dedicated graphics card.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

I changed the global settings in the NVIDIA control panel to High Performance NVIDIA Processor and presto!

rcarver
Level 7
I have the same problem, but with a G750JM. When I disable the Intel Video My display adapter defaults to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I even removed the 860M as a device, rebooted and readded it. No Joy.

HomieOC
Level 7
Gotti boi tip worked for me.. by going into nvdia control panel