cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g73jh random lockup

Retired
Not applicable
So my g73 recently started to lock up, i cant cntr alt del nor move my mouse i have to do a hard reset. It happends at random it could be 5 min or 2 hours. I noticed it started hapening after i installed hamachi and dead island. I scaned for virus, checked hdd errors, ram test and everythingchecked out ok. Any idea what is causing this.
23 REPLIES 23

xeromist
You should take a look at the Windows Event Log to see if there is anything corresponding to your lockups. It's hard to figure out when you don't have an error message.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

grungeboy2
Level 10
you didn't recently update a soundblaster driver and a realtek driver did you?

honestly, i'd uninstall hamachi and see if that fixes it.

Retired
Not applicable
grungeboy wrote:
you didn't recently update a soundblaster driver and a realtek driver did you?

honestly, i'd uninstall hamachi and see if that fixes it.

i uninstalled hamachi and i updated my realtek audio because i read somewhere that that could fix it but nope it still did it.

dstrakele
Level 14
You could also try doing a System Restore to the time before you installed the 2 games. Let some time pass using the system to confirm it is stable. Then install just one game and test to see if you experience lockups. If not, install the 2nd game.

You can check if the System or Application Event Logs indicate any Errors or Warnings prior to previous lockups as xeromist recommends. In the System Event Log, there will be an Eventlog EventID 6008 that states "The previous system shutdown was unexpected". This indicates the system lockup. You can filter for this event to see when your system lockups occurred, then clear the filter to see if any Errors or Warnings occurred previous to the lockup. You can use the time of the Eventlog EventID 6008 to examine the Application Eventlog to see if any Warnings or Errors occurred in it prior to the time of the System Event Log EventID 6008.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
system restore was the first thing i tried but then it said it couldnt restore, as for the event logs here are what i see that are errors under system and applications.

-System-
The Windows Font Cache Service service hung on starting.
(This one shows up multiple times)The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

-Application-
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
The winlogon notification subscriber was unavailable to handle a notification event.
Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 14.0.835.186, time stamp: 0x4e77dea9
Faulting module name: chrome.dll, version: 14.0.835.186, time stamp: 0x4e77ddf4
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0021d342
Faulting process id: 0x5c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7fc281da8a48

The program mmc.exe version 6.1.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1b80
Start Time: 01cc7f9e147ef9f7
Termination Time: 6

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32) - Failed to compile: System.Security, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a . Error code = 0x80070005

The one prior to 6008 is The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10. it pops up multiple times

dstrakele
Level 14
I don't get much from the Eventlog errors you report.

The Windows Font Cache Service may just be a victim of the lockup. The Computer Browser and Server Services are not critical for a standalone laptop unless you want to share resources. It looks like your Chrome Browser may have encountered some problems. I suspect Chrome is also the source of the SChannel EventID 36888 errors you report prior to the Eventlog EventID 6008. Secure communication between your system and a web server has failed. Yet this should not necessarily result in a system lockup.

A lockup is difficult to troubleshoot because you often don't get a lot of useful diagnostic information. I believe you can configure Windows 7 to allow a keystroke combination to force a Memory Dump from a hung system. Analysis of the Memory Dump may provide information to resolve the issue.

However, it may be simpler to run a Registry Cleaner or do a System Recovery from the ASUS Partition (or Recovery DVD's) or a clean install of Windows 7 to try to resolve your issue. If the clean install fails, an RMA of the system would be your next choice. It's a shame the simple System Restore failed in your case.

Retired
Not applicable
I suspected it could be chrome because there has been some threads on google that people have had lockups with the same error code. So far i havent had a lock up and had my comp on for about 5 hours now and i havent used chrome. Should i try uninstalling chrome to see if it fixes that, if not i was just going to a asus system restore.

dstrakele
Level 14
I think ya got something there... A search of "computer with Chrome Browser locks up" gives a lot of hits where users with recent Chrome versions are experiencing lockups. I've been using the IE9 that came installed on my system without issue.

Retired
Not applicable
well im uninstalling chrome and ill let you guys know if i get any problems.