cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some technical assistance regarding partitioned HDD's

anderdea
Level 7
When it comes to understanding computers, I’m above average, having built 4 from scratch. However one of the areas I am not real versed in is the behavior of the partitioned hard drive.

My G73SW came with 2, 500GB drives, each partitioned. The primary drive has 3 partitions. The “C” at approximately 120 GB the “E” at approximately 325 GB and the recovery (hidden) partition. I have nothing on the “E” and the “C” is almost full. I would like to increase the size of the “C” drive. As it holds the operating system, from what I have read is not easily expanded.

My question is, if I delete the “E” partition, will the “C” partition pick up the additional available gigabits of disk space?

I don’t want to have to reformat the drive as I would in the process loose the recovery partition. Also I don’t want to spend the substantial time it would take to reinstall Win 7 and all my software.
11 REPLIES 11

chrsplmr
Level 18
First, Welcome Anderdea............just for the ROG of it.
The short answer is NO. The longer answer is NO WAY.
If you delete a blank partition, it simply becomes unpartitioned space, if you repartition it, it will be next drive letter (usually)
Start seperating 'files' from 'programs'...(not program files...no offense)
Storage should be on your partitioned drives....ie..music, graphics...zip files.
Load your programs to C....If this becomes an issue (too full)..they can always be loaded in the partitioned drives..(other than c)
Chances are the 'hidden recovery' contains the same setup....unless the second drive was an add on..

It is more about file/folder management than partition management at this point.
There is always wiping the drives (If you have win7 disc)...but this deletes your recovery partition.
You could also (if you have win7 or other os disc) format c: and reload it...also not for the meek.
As I read you last line again....Id say....just move files from c: and keep it clean....use storage for, well, storage.
Best of Luck...keep us posted..we love a good success story here...
It gives the haters something to grumble about and the rest of us pleasure from the time well spent here. enjoy.c.

JRd1st
Level 12
The following link shows you how to do what you want. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/ ... look at "Extend volume" If you don't like this howto Google it; there are many of them for this. 😉

This will only work if the E: partition is contiguous with the C:. In other words, if the recovery partition is between the two it won't work.

Good luck! 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

TheOriginalTO
Level 7
I've heard people are just combining the two. Sounds like it'd be the best option IMO.
You Heard It From - ']['he (())riginal - ']['.(()).

TheOriginalTO wrote:
I've heard people are just combining the two. Sounds like it'd be the best option IMO.

But if she ever, God forbid, had to use Asus recovery, wouldn't she lose her data?

Actually, she SHOULD move her Music, Docs, etc to another drive as chrsplmr said and try to keep her OS partition as clean as possible. 120 GB should be plenty large enough for an OS partition.

And if someone wants to have a recovery partition that they could restore from at POST, they should buy Acronis TrueImage 2012 and set up a "Secure Zone" and use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. This is the same principle as the Asus recovery, but instead of restoring to old drivers and bloatware, you restore to an image you created after you got your system straightened out. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Thanks for the info. It looks like moving my larger folders like Music, Pictures and Videos to the "E" drive on my primary Disk drive 0 is my only real option. I understand about keeping the "C" as clean as possible but the Music, Pictures and Videos folders default to the "C" drive. These are the main culprets for the space usage. Also my iTiunes folder is within the Music folder. If I move these to the "E" partition, the pointer within Windows media center, iTunes etc., will get all screwed up. I am assuming that Microsoft in it's infinate wisdom (Tongue in cheek here) set these up for easy network and default access to it's Media programs.

Also there are the "Libray", Music, Pictures and Videos folders and also folders called Mymusic, Mypictures and Myvideo which look like duplicates of the Library files. I originally dropper my media files into the "Library" folders. Why am I seeing what appears to be duplicates in the other folders. Which folders would I put onto the "E" drive.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Why?
You are losing me here.
You dont want C: choked agreed..but what
advantage is there in a larger partition on the
same drive. Can someone enlighten me?

Before the new 'bigger' drives..I always set
up the OS on a smaller drive...and all other
data on the storage drives...most programs too.
(For Win98 & early XP, you better.)
This way when the OS went down due to,,,anything..
all my files and data were secure, reload OS, and programs..
back in business......

I would think that this would still be the way to go.
ssd(or sata) for boot drive....and then storage.....

(I still think SSD's are mostly novelty now, their
advantage is minamal at best...in my opinion..I have been wrong before.
Always willing to learn, why.)

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you Copy or Move? If you just drag it to another drive it copies.

I Moved "Downloads", "Favorites", "Links", "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Videos", "Saved Games", "Searches"

Not sure if it's Windows, or if it's programs that use these folders as defaults that are doing it, but the folders DO get recreated but that's no big deal.

iTunes, on the other hand is a pain in the ass. I finally got it worked out on my daughter's PC, but I don't remember what I did, just that it had me cursing Apple. lol

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

chrsplmr
Level 18
Change the download defaults... or scan them there (if you do)..and then move them..
It will be habit, like brushing your teeth..hehehee..

On E: you could put exactly those,,,Music, Pictures, Videos.... I like to name folders
like this...ie: ```Music, or ````Videos if you want it above ```Music..... the (```) brings it
to the top of the list....above 'a'....then click in your C:\Music (or whatever its named).. ctrl A..(select all)
cut, paste in E:\Music.....ect.

Those are all the same folders, not dups...just like an icon on your desktop is a shortcut to a program..
not the program..

Video is hideous for eating space.... about 4-6GB per hour of video... and music...lots of music..hahaha..
or....change defaults. Best of Luck.c.

EDIT ::: JRd1st... I didnt jump over ya..I was typing, you were posting.. 🙂
I disrespect no one, EVER...c.

Thanks a lot. A bunch of good info here. I especially like the ``` before the folder to make it go to the top of the list. I will probably move the folders suggested by JRd1st to the "E" partition when I get some time.

All though I'm not a PC gamer (PS3 a bit, yes) I really like this G73SW-A1. I purchased it primarily for the video editing power and as an aditional 3D source for my Mitz 73" 3D ready RPTV. Maybe down the road some PC games.