cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant overclock past 4.1Ghz on 4770K

Twiggs
Level 7
I built my first computer in summer 2013. I've been trying to overclock it (lightly) for months but can't get my processor past 4.1Ghz. 4.2 is very unstable.

Here is my setup:
Maximus vi impact
intel 4770K
corsair CX600m
corsair vengence 1600mhz (8GbX2)
samsung pro and evo, in raid 0, 223Gb total
zalman CNPS9500A LED cpu cooler
asus 7770 gpu
windows 7 pro
bios 1402
all in a bitfenix prodigy

I have read many different guides to overclocking and have thoroughly investigated the settings in the bios and have made simple recommended tweaks that should work on any 4770K. All of which have failed.
Am i the one percent of people that got a dud cpu?

As I am typing my computer is running rosseta@home and has been using 100% cpu for days. AIsuiteIII says my cpu temp is 46 celcius (in a 63 Fahrenheit room). cores are at 41, 40, 39, and 39.

Their must be something that is preventing a stable OC. Does anyone know of an issue in my build? or in my hardware?
3 REPLIES 3

meankeys
Level 13
What if you use optimized default settings. offset voltage on cpu. and set multiplier to 44 for this test role back your memory to a slightly lower freq. can you boot to your desktop.

Thank you meankeys for helping me. Default settings with all cores at 43, ram at 1333, and voltage at 1.3 had GREAT stable results. I did a burn in test for a couple minuets, temperature got to 70C. This is all that i have ever hoped to have gotten to.
This is a good start and I will continue to adjust things tomorrow.
I would like to use the other voltage modes besides manual, but i don't understand them very well. perhaps that will be my next focus after i fine tune the voltage and multiplier. I might try switching the ram clock to see what is the max stable clock.

meankeys
Level 13
Ok thats great. With the temps you just posted I would say you are @ your safe limit. You will need better cooling to push it any further.

By the way Welcome to the ROG