cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loving my new Asus G74 ! Kudos Asus!

Thorn2011
Level 10
I bought a G74SX a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier, for a laptop it is really VERY good, and reasonably priced considering what a desktop equivalent in performance would cost. I spent years and years upgrading my desktop to keep up with the modern games (and many thousands of $'s), then finally when my current build broke for the 3rd time (faulty mboard, then faulty memory now it is broken with a faulty Powersuppy; I gave in, firstly I wanted something to replace my broken desktop (anyone want a GTX285 let me know it is collecting dust!) reading up on the Asus site they claimed the G74 was just that! They wern't kidding, of course I wanted performance, I am cranking BF2 BC up to Maximum in 1920X1080 and no slowdowns not to mention it looks fantastic! Same with Stalker CS, and the BF3 demo I was sitting there running on AUTO and it was selecting ULTRA for most settings!

Amazing, and it runs so Quiet and Cool, I used Realtemp, CPU temps don't get above 47 degrees Celsius, GPU temps not above 52 or so considering my GTX285 used to top 75 degrees in a case full of fans this is amazing, and that card never could do 1920X1080 without having a short circuit! Then there is the fact that I can hit one button and it selects performance mode... simple no overclocking it does it itself! And where the hell is the noise? It is quiet!! Even when gaming for hours? When I used to play big open games like Stalker on my GTX285 seriously I thaught it was about to take off! The thing sounded like a jet engine revving up! Kudo's Asus, my previous laptop was an Asus (a slow one for business) but this G74 takes the cake!

Oh btw the screen is SO nice especially when watching Blu-Rays!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery
8 REPLIES 8

chrsplmr
Level 18
Fantastic...Welcome Thorn2011...
It is really great to see your thoughts here.
We so often never here from those without issue.Thanks.c.

xeromist
Welcome to the ROG forums, Thorn!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks guys 🙂 Yeah I noticed there wern't many positive threads here, I mean when I first came here I really did think this was a Asus tech support forum made especially for ROG laptops!

Maybe those who love their G series laptops are too busy having fun to post? 🙂

I was contemplating buying the more expensive Alienware M17x series laptop, glad I didn't!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery

Yahooligan
Level 7
I'm in the same boat, Thorn. I love my G74SX! Couldn't be happier. 🙂
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Azzazel
Level 7
Me too 🙂 , i got problems on it but they are minor and nearly unnoticeable 😄
Asus G74SX-TY087V
Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM / 2 GHz ( Quad-Core )
RAM: 16 GB - DDR3 SDRAM
Card Reader: 3 in 1
Hard Drive: 1.0 TB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Storage: DVD-Writer / BD-ROM
Display: 17.3" LED backlight TFT 1600 x 900 - 16:9
Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Video Memory: 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Consoles
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii

Chastity
Level 10
Thank you everyone for choosing ASUS for your notebook and fraggin'-on-the-go needs. 😄
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Chastity@ASUS wrote:
Thank you everyone for choosing ASUS for your notebook and fraggin'-on-the-go needs. 😄

Your welcome 🙂 Always been a big Asus fan, going back to the days when I was upgrading my desktop every 2-3 years to keep up with the most demanding games! I used to ALWAYS buy Asus components such as Motherboards, Video Cards, and Screens etc because I found them always to be the most reliable and last the longest!

My old Asus F5RL Laptop while way outdated still works as well as the day I bought it 4 years ago, never once broken down!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

Retired
Not applicable
With the Patriot Pyro SSD 240GB as the primary drive, IT'S AMAZING!