cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this even possible?

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
I have a 1 TB drive that has all my stuff on it, OS, programs, everything. It had Win 7 on it, and I upgraded to Win 8 online (no disc). In my new build, I was thinking on doing what I've seen a lot of others do, and get 2 SSD's for the OS set up in a RAID 0, with regular platter HD's for the other information set up in a RAID 1. Is it possible for me to pull my OS off the current drive, and install it on two SSD's? Or would I have to buy a full OEM copy of the OS and do a fresh install on the SSD?
10 REPLIES 10

graphic
Level 11
hey HappyBuddhaman, I'm sure it's possible, although I have never done it myself, always just re-formated....
I searched and found a few links for you I sure other member's with more knowledge will respond soon

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252671-32-hard-drive-transfer-question

http://apcmag.com/how-to-transfer-your-os-to-your-new-ssd-drive.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64836-move-os-another-drive.html

hope this helps....

IM2L844
Level 12
There are several issues to address here. First, there is no significant advantage to setting up 2 SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration. and most would argue that there is more of a disadvantage from a potential data loss perspective. Secondly, are you wanting to put all the userdata on the HDDs during the OS install process in order to save writes to the SSDs? I have a setup sort of like that with one SSD and one HDD on one of my rigs and that poses some difficulties as well. Even if you get everything running smoothly and you can, you will not be able to automatically upgrade the OS while it is in that configuration. There is more to consider, but do I have the right idea so far about what you are wanting to do or am I way off base? Unless I am off base, I think you have some better options from a practical standpoint.

X-ROG
Level 15
You 'can' by using disc cloning software but it's not really advisable for several reasons:

> Your Windows will likely flip out because it lacks the RAID drivers to boot. There are ways around it but it's quite complicated.

> The Windows license will likely flip out and make you re-register during any migration process, so the simpler it is the better as trial and error will complicate your situation.

Do you not have the original Win 7 disc to do the install then Win 8 update again?

X-ROG
Level 15
You 'can' by using disc cloning software but it's not really advisable for several reasons:

> Your Windows will likely flip out because it lacks the RAID drivers to boot. There are ways around it but it's quite complicated.

> The Windows license will likely flip out and make you re-register during any migration process, so the simpler it is the better as trial and error will complicate your situation.

Do you not have the original Win 7 disc to do the install then Win 8 update again?

GHOST2501
Level 7
If your looking into a RAID solution, I would have the SSDs in RAID1 and then see if you can get a third HDD to get them in RAID5. That way you gain full redundancy (RAID0 isn't actually redundant), albeit for the same effective amount of storage at the end but with a smaller OS.

As for the install, I'd take the easier route of backing it all up and doing a fresh install of your OS.

||| PSU OCZ ZS Series 650w ||| Mobo ASUS PBZ77-V LX2 ||| CPU Intel Core i5 2400 ||| RAM 8GB (2x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance ||| GPU MSI GTX760 TF OC 2GB. ||| OS Win7 Pro. Wanting to look playing with Linux. |||

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
Marshall - It was, sadly, not a custom build, it was a retail purchase, so I don't have a full copy of the OS, and I wouldn't want to use the manufacturers restore disk, I'd probably just spend the $100 on an OEM copy of Windows 8.

IM2L844 - My initial thought (maybe flawed) was, keeping just the OS on dual SSD's in RAID 0 mainly for speed, and all other information on multiple HDD's in RAID 1, that way, all my personal info would be mirrored in RAID 1, in the event of one HD failure, I'd already have a backup, plus benefiting for faster read speeds.

Then with the OS on an SSD, it wouldn't have to read / write as much (because it would be limited to the SSD), and if the OS got corrupted, I could just reformat the drive and reinstall the OS, without losing my other information. Trying to combine data security, convenience, and speed.

OS and limited program files on an SSD, all others on HDD's. Thinking about it more, and from the feedback here (thank you as always), probably better to get one SSD and an OEM copy of the OS and do a fresh install.

IM2L844
Level 12
With the introduction and release of Plextor M6e, I expect the M.2 SSD dam to burst open soon enough. For a lot of good reasons, M.2 will be a storage solution to keep a close eye on in the very near future.

I saw that a little while ago, that is insane, but I'm not spending $300 on it just yet. Not when I could get a 128 GB SSD for $85. I'll wait until the price becomes a little more friendly.

IM2L844
Level 12
I'll wait until the price becomes a little more friendly.

Yeah, me too! You can get a 250GB 840 EVO for $154 at B&H. Besides, I don't expect PCIe SSDs to really start to flourish until Skylake. It's gonna be a little while, but I've firmly pinned down my next hard build date to a March 1, 2017. Everything (technology and finances) should come together nicely by then and I'll keep my fingers crossed for Pascal. I don't mind waiting. I have a long time-preference oriented personality and lots of stuff to do between now and then.:rolleyes: