cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 on SSD and data on HDD?

SeattleROG
Level 7
Just unboxed my G750JZ setup in RAID-1 config (personal choice). I bought this computer as a Mac substitue for media work only (video editing, audio production, 3D modeling, etc.) Before I get too far into setting up all my programs and such, I want to setup my Windows User Profile and all data folders (Documents/Downloads/Pictures/Music/etc) on the 1TB HDD. After reviewing maaaaany Microsoft threads on the topic to no avail, I wanted to ask this forum what their best practices were. Doesn't look like an easy fix.

I'm already running 8.1.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Thanks,

E
26 REPLIES 26

hmscott
Level 12
SeattleROG wrote:
Just unboxed my G750JZ setup in RAID-1 config (personal choice). I bought this computer as a Mac substitue for media work only (video editing, audio production, 3D modeling, etc.) Before I get too far into setting up all my programs and such, I want to setup my Windows User Profile and all data folders (Documents/Downloads/Pictures/Music/etc) on the 1TB HDD. After reviewing maaaaany Microsoft threads on the topic to no avail, I wanted to ask this forum what their best practices were. Doesn't look like an easy fix.

I'm already running 8.1.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Thanks,

E

SeattleROG, better to pick the applications that drop large amounts / sizes of files in your home directory and direct them to drop files in a folder on the 2nd Bay drive.

iTunes, Steam, BattleNet, Ubisoft, Vmware, etc.

I would recommend setting up your SSD RAID as a RAID0, double the space and 2x the performance, and do an image backup to the 1TB on a daily / rolling basis.

If you want to continue the performance theme, get an Evo 1TB and put it in the 2nd Bay, and put the 1TB into an external USB 3.0 and reduce heat / power drain. Now you have an external backup drive, and 1.5TB of SSD in the G750.

And, don't forget to disable pagefile and disable hibernate to recover 48GB (64GB?) of hidden files on your boot drive.

senttel
Level 7
Hey scott,

Can you actually disable hibernate function on windows 8.1? I thought it did not existed

senttel wrote:
Hey scott,

Can you actually disable hibernate function on windows 8.1? I thought it did not existed

senttel, Windows 8.0/8.1 hibernate is off by default, but enabling Fastboot requires hibernate on.

For fastboot to be enabled, hibernate needs to be enabled, and last I restored using Asus Backtracker restored fastboot and hibernate in Windows 8.0, and updating to 8.1 didn't get rid of it.

So I used the command "powercfg.exe /hibernate off", and it turned off fastboot/hibernate, and I have no hiberfil.sys, so yes 🙂

Here is the long way to disable
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2082951/disable-hibernation-windows-windows.html

Here is the short way to disable hibernate
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

I haven't used a new G750 JM/JS/JZ that comes with Windows 8.1, so IDK if Fastboot/Hibernate is enabled... anyone wanna check their new 8.1 G750 JM/JS/JZ using the links above to confirm if Fastboot/Hibernate comes enabled?

senttel
Level 7
My JW currently fully boots from a complete shut down in less than 10 seconds and at the moment my hibernate function is switched off, so you are telling me that I've been running my machine this whole time without fastboot enabled?

senttel wrote:
My JW currently fully boots from a complete shut down in less than 10 seconds and at the moment my hibernate function is switched off, so you are telling me that I've been running my machine this whole time without fastboot enabled?

How Windows 8 Hybrid Shutdown / Fast Boot feature works
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-...

I also run with Windows Fastboot disabled and I boot up pretty quickly too.

Look at Task Manager => Startup Tab, how many seconds does it say it took from BIOS? Mine usually says 1.2 seconds, right now it says 1.3 seconds, and occasionally after a Windows Update or install it jumps up to 10 seconds. I think mine is quick due to the RAID0 boot drive - when I booted the JH off of the Samsung Pro 512GB the time went to 2.0 or 2.1 seconds.

hmscott I have seemingly done all the tweaks you have suggested and my startup time is around 6secs in task manager...anything I might of missed?
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:
hmscott I have seemingly done all the tweaks you have suggested and my startup time is around 6secs in task manager...anything I might of missed?

Do you have a Hard Disk boot disk, or an SSD, or an SSD RAID0 ? I have 2 x 128GB SSD in RAID0, so that helps.

And, did you disable all non-essential startup programs? Here is my startup tab. Note that my boot time is now 1.5s after optimizing my C drive.

See post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46574-Degrading-RAID0-SSD-performance&p=396275&viewfull=1#p...

I have 2 x 128gb ssds in raid0 ...and a 512gb 840pro as my data drive...I am sure that my first jh had quicker boot times than what I have now, and that was without any of the tweeks suggested here?...strange.
I have restored this computer several times using my backtracker usb, and also combined my partitions etc..disabled pagefile/hibernate..
mmm...might have to do a clean install..see if that helps at all..
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:
I have 2 x 128gb ssds in raid0 ...and a 512gb 840pro as my data drive...I am sure that my first jh had quicker boot times than what I have now, and that was without any of the tweeks suggested here?...strange.
I have restored this computer several times using my backtracker usb, and also combined my partitions etc..disabled pagefile/hibernate..
mmm...might have to do a clean install..see if that helps at all..

Try rebuilding the RAID0, and enable fastboot in the BIOS. Also, disable all the startup stuff you don't need. It all adds up.

What numbers are you seeing? Startup time and CrystalDiskMark?