cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degrading RAID0 SSD performance?

themeonster
Level 7
When I first bought my G750 JH in October I ran a disk benchmark and it did just over 1 GB/s sequential read and I thought that was pretty amazing. But over time I have periodically run the benchmark and noticed gradually falling scores. Here is the result of today's CrystalDiskMark:

So, I am asking the vast amounts of computing knowledge represented by this forum, how do I get back those lost MB/s? Is there anything else you notice that is off with the posted scores? Any help is greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

hmscott
Level 12
themeonster wrote:
When I first bought my G750 JH in October I ran a disk benchmark and it did just over 1 GB/s sequential read and I thought that was pretty amazing. But over time I have periodically run the benchmark and noticed gradually falling scores.
So, I am asking the vast amounts of computing knowledge represented by this forum, how do I get back those lost MB/s? Is there anything else you notice that is off with the posted scores? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You don't mention if you manually run TRIM, or have a schedule set up to run it on a regular basis...

If you haven't run TRIM, do it now on the SSD partitions, then reboot and re-run CrystalDiskMark.

Check to make sure Optimize see's the SSD as an SSD, and not a HD.

If Windows thinks the SSD is an HD, run a cmd shell window as Administrator, and run this:

winsat formal <== let it finish, then reboot

Then run optimize now that the SSD shows up as an SSD.

Let us know how that works out 🙂

themeonster
Level 7
Thanks for the quick response. I have windows set up to run TRIM on a weekly basis. And windows has already recognized it as an SSD.

I did manually run TRIM and reboot and the numbers improved slightly but not to where they were.

themeonster wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I have windows set up to run TRIM on a weekly basis. And windows has already recognized it as an SSD.

I did manually run TRIM and reboot and the numbers improved slightly but not to where they were.

Two things to try. Get a real defrag / optimization program and let it loose on the SSD RAID0 🙂

It will add GB to throughput counter, but it worked for me.

Next best, better but more of a pain, back up your stuff and break the RAID0 and remake it from the BIOS. Then use your Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 recovery flash drive to restore to the new RAID0. I got back all my performance that way 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Two things to try. Get a real defrag / optimization program and let it loose on the SSD RAID0 🙂

Is this really true nowadays? I don't use any of my SSD'S in an array (though I have several arrays using mechanical drives), but my understanding was that defragging SSD's has little tangible benefit and could actually do damage since most modern SSD's do some form of wear leveling.

Off to do a little research.....

Nillaz wrote:
Is this really true nowadays? I don't use any of my SSD'S in an array (though I have several arrays using mechanical drives), but my understanding was that defragging SSD's has little tangible benefit and could actually do damage since most modern SSD's do some form of wear leveling.

Off to do a little research.....

Nillaz, I tried and purchased Raxco PerfecDisk Professional 12/13 Windows 8/8.1 and it worked great, but it takes a lot of writes to complete, so next time I moved to a RAID0 rebuild and restore, which got me even more throughput and is still running fast several months later.

PerfectDisk Professional
http://www.raxco.com/business/products/perfectdisk-professional

hmscott wrote:
Nillaz, I tried and purchased Raxco PerfecDisk Professional 12/13 Windows 8/8.1 and it worked great, but it takes a lot of writes to complete, so next time I moved to a RAID0 rebuild and restore, which got me even more throughput and is still running fast several months later.

PerfectDisk Professional
http://www.raxco.com/business/products/perfectdisk-professional

Cool, good to know for when I eventually start replacing my mechanical drives with SSD's.

Nillaz wrote:
Cool, good to know for when I eventually start replacing my mechanical drives with SSD's.

I hadn't reinstalled PerfectDisk since switching back to the RAID0 boot from the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, so I checked and my performance had dropped to 875MB/520MB (sorry, didn't screenshot the results).

I installed my licensed copy of Raxco PerfectDisk, took the default config it came up with, and optimized the RAID0 using SmartPlacement Classic, the C drive, followed up with a boot defrag, and ran CrystalDiskMark, and now I am back to 1025MB/598MB

HomieOC
Level 7
how did you get such good score? I have same defrag software as you 😉 and i did everything you did, including boot files, and i get a slower read, or is your SSD just faster one? lol If it is then ok, otherwise i want it fixed XD

HomieOC wrote:
how did you get such good score? I have same defrag software as you 😉 and i did everything you did, including boot files, and i get a slower read, or is your SSD just faster one? lol If it is then ok, otherwise i want it fixed XD

HomieOC, you have a 2 x128GB RAID0, right? But it looks like you left your default partitioning, I combined partition's so I can have more contiguous space. IDK if that is the only thing that makes my score higher, but you can give it a try. My C partition comes out at 237GB now, and yours is at 96GB.

My D drive is now my Samsung Pro 840 512GB, here is it's score for comparison:

And, here is the drive make/model info, to compare against your 128GB model numbers