cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 64GB GSkill Ripjaws Z Serties?!

IanTJamison
Level 7
Hi guys! I am new around here and need some helps! I will outline a brief bit about my build, needs, research and then get right to the question at hand! As a pre-cursor, Thank you for the help!!!

My Build -
I am currently piecing together a parts list for a machine that I will utilize as a heavy multitasking PC. This hog will be for Video Editing, Motion Graphics, 3D (Rendering, Modeling/Sculpting, Animation, etc), and Design utilizing all of the Adobe Suite software. Those are the primary goalsforemost, but I will throw some games on it to play with my son (he is 4, but loves sitting with me and watching the FPS games). First, of all - Yes, I have funneled through the posts and I have read the awesome reviews and RAM guide, but am still unclear about the best and easiest *MOST RELIABLE solution for my dilemma. The dilemma is the topic Title - which 64GB Kit. 😮

My current part list can be found HERE . First of all, yes - I know that there are three AIO coolers. I am undecided between the H110 or the x60 for my Titan Black. Next, I have chosen the Titan Black for the 6GB of VRAM which I believe will help over a 780TI for my heavy rendering and compute tasks with 3D and Video Editing. (I would rather have this than any of the Quaddros, but I am open to any and all suggestions).

Anyway - that is the initial brief.

My RAM Question
I have watched the video review of the ASUS ROG build where they use 64GB of GSkill Ripjaws Z and 2 ASUS MARS cards. Awesome build BTW Asus! I have pretty much narrowed down my Ram selection to that kit of memory - GSkill Ripjaws Z 64GB Kit. I am open to the Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum as well, but have seen lots of excellent results and compatibility with the GSkill Ripjaw Z Series and the RIVBE. However, there are 3 variations of the kit - all with different timings.

KIT 1 -
KIT 2 -
KIT 3 -

This is where you fine geniouses come into play! Which kit is best. In asking which is best, I need to know why as well. Which will have the best Success rate of plugging right in and jamming to all 64GB. Which will be the most optimized to run all day reliably at 2133.

Thank you again for taking the time to have a look as well as helping! :cool:
- Ian T Jamison
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The black kits from G.Skill are their top of the line....and 2133 CAS9 is of course faster than 2133 CAS 10 from the blue kit...though this will be easier on the CPU's IMC and easier to run. However IBE is proving to be pretty robust in running RAM and I would reckon on being able to run the black kit fine...

In the "sticky" section above Raja has a thread setting up 64GB and it went easy and he was even able to tighten timings...

Enjoy the build...looks nice!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The black kits from G.Skill are their top of the line....and 2133 CAS9 is of course faster than 2133 CAS 10 from the blue kit...though this will be easier on the CPU's IMC and easier to run. However IBE is proving to be pretty robust in running RAM and I would reckon on being able to run the black kit fine...

In the "sticky" section above Raja has a thread setting up 64GB and it went easy and he was even able to tighten timings...

Enjoy the build...looks nice!

Thank you. Yes, the black kit is the one that was used in the ROG Asus build video that I referenced. Thst seems like a real winner to me. I will update with a new build thread and photos as I get the parts all ordered starting on Monday! Do you reckon that the Corsair 860i is powerful enough to run the proposed build with room to OC to say 4.0 - 4.5Ghz and push the Titan Black with a mild OC?

Myk - I do have a hefty budget, but dropping the 2k+ for the TitanZ is a wild leap. I considered the 295x2 but don't want to miss the benefits of cuda enhanced drivers and support in my After effects and premiere. However, even the $1500 295x is a lot for what seems like nominal enhancements when going multi gpu. That stuff seems to scale much more for games than it does with the professional design software packages. What's your thoughts on that stuff?

Thanks guys for the help and reads!!! I am liking the support around here.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Well, if you have the money and since you said you don't want to fork out for a Quadro. You might want to read up on the Titan-Z it's about to hit the market in a few short weeks. It has 2 GPU's and a total of 12GB GDDR5 VRAM. Though, it's a face slapping $2,999 USD....still cheaper than a Quadro lol.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The 860i should do that yes...but I am a fan of having over-provisioning and for OCing and doing it comfortably I'd look at something like a Seasonic 1000w platinum or X1050...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The 860i should do that yes...but I am a fan of having over-provisioning and for OCing and doing it comfortably I'd look at something like a Seasonic 1000w platinum or X1050...

The Seasonic looks real nice, but damn it takes a serious price leap compared to a lot of other 1000W supplies (in particular the EVGA Supernova which is also plat cert). I'm going to start researching this all now. Thanks

IanTJamison wrote:
The Seasonic looks real nice, but damn it takes a serious price leap compared to a lot of other 1000W supplies (in particular the EVGA Supernova which is also plat cert). I'm going to start researching this all now. Thanks

Seasonic PSUs are top of the line. They are worth every penny in my opinion.

Melting_Point
Level 10
I agree with Arne here. The PSU is the one area where you should always get more than you think you need. It's a good investment.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you want to research who makes what in PSU land etc. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

And a great review site is http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

I think the EVGA supernovas are good but I couldn't do it....don't want an exploding anything in my PC 😮

RickROG
Level 11
I've been using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231525&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...= for quite a while now and it is problem free. I chose it over the other two because I wanted to keep the voltage at 1.5V.
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"