cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about HDD G-sense error rate - G74SX

Retired
Not applicable
Dear All,

I have just noticed, that the G-sense error rate is increasing very slowly (+1/1-2 days) on my new G74SX with 2x 500 GB WD Scorpion Black. I don't move the notebook during operation, so this is not the cause. Is this normal (e.g. just the sensor being too sensitive), or does it indicate a problem? (And if yes what problem??).
What G-sense error rate do other owners have?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards,
Xoranus
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262718-32-huge-sense-error-rate-samsung-hd203wi discusses an issue more intense than yours.

I have a G-Sense error rate of 1 and Raw Data 1206 (curious) on HD0 - a 750 GB WDC7500BPKT. SpeedFan says I should "Watch" this value on this drive since the G-Sense Error Rate is below average limits (33-100). The twin HD1 has 99 and Raw Data 1. I haven't been monitoring this over time so I don't have any info on the increase.

Did you try the "in-depth online analysis" of your drives on SpeedFan? Did you run the Extended or Short test?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yahooligan
Level 7
I just ran SpeedFan on my G74SX, my Seagate ST95005620AS as HD0 shows 0 and my WDC WD3200BEKT-00PVMT0 as HD1 doesn't list/support G-Sense.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Retired
Not applicable
Dear dstrakele,

Thanks for the info. I meant that for me the raw data is 14&1, the value displayed by Speedfan is 86 & 99 respectively. From your values would rather say that the WD drives have very sensitive g-sensor, and they detect everything (actually WDC told me that it will detect even if I bump my leg into the desk, or move the notebook even slightly). It just intersting why a sensor designed to detect shock detects everything...
Actually the other value I was worried about is the load/unload cycle count. My drive is a WDC5000-BPKT, and it does every 5-10 minutes a click. I managed to find that the sound comes when the Load/Unload cycle increases, so when the head parks down, which is actually normal. I just don't understand why it parks so frequently (700 times a week). What values do you have? Could you please post a print screen about your smart values?

Best regards,
Xoranus

I've attached the SpeedFan S.M.A.R.T. tab results for both HDD's and the Online Diagnostic Report for one drive.

ImageImageImage

In my opinion, I believe the higher G-Sense value for one of my drives can be ignored since there are no corresponding high Read or Write errors. When my dog plays Angry Cats on my G74SX, she'll hop up and her front paws land on either side of the touchpad. I think that is the source of my G-Sense errors.

I must admit, I don't ever like to hear any clicking from mechanical storage devices. Makes me think something is about to die. I don't hear any noise from the WDC drives on my G74SX-A1.

I recommend trying the SpeedFan online report for your drives. It's quick and easy and may give you peace of mind.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Dear dstrakele,

thanks for the answer. I checked the SMART values you posted, I have checked the values, and actually it corresponds to my experience: your drive had 3386 parking operations/543 hours, which means that on average it parks every 9 minutes, the same as here.
About the clicks, it's not loud, so if I wouldn't work in such a quiet place, I wouldn't hear it either (e.g. when I listen to music, or use in in public, it isn't audible any more). Otherwise I do not have either read/write error, spin up problems, every critical value is 100% perfect.

Best regards,
Xoranus