cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation Graphics Advice.

Antronman
Level 10
Hi guys!

I'm here with a simple question for a workstation I plan on making once X99/HW-E comes out.

Intended uses: 3D Design (Maya, mostly), Unreal Engine 4, Microsoft Visual Studios.

Features Required: Nvidia (for use of PhysX in UE4, mostly to test all features/capabilities), very fast, and a good amount of VRAM.

I'm currently leaning towards the Titan BE or the Quadro K5000, but I don't know if the better DFPP performance of the Quadro would be worth the extra 500USD.

If anybody could help me pick between the two, or give advice about another card I could use I'd be happy to listen.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me
6 REPLIES 6

jab383
Level 13
The big deal with Nvideo Quadro and AMD Firepro workstation graphics cards are the drivers. They have professional grade specialized, guaranteed drivers for such software as Maya. Check the websites. I found a 10+ page list of drivers for Firepro for various professional programs.

Are there specific features you need -- 30-bit color or the like -- that only come on the pro cards?

Expect to give up speed or pay even more -- USD5000 for a K6000. That's the tradeoff you have to make for yourself.

Generally, the cards themselves are versions of standard reference designs with dressed up video bios. The high quality drivers and exceptional support are what you pay for. That support might be valuable if you are an early adopter for a workstation card on an X99 motherboard. I know I'm looking forward to it with my Firepro.

Jeff

Antronman
Level 10
I did a bit of looking, and I'll probably go with a Firepro W7000.
Quadro doesn't have access to the Nvidia game technology anyways, and the Firepro W7000 outperforms the K5000 while costing almost 1/2 as much.

jab383
Level 13
In one review that addressed the game abilty of pro video cards, the W7000 outperformed the W8000. I think it's a great combination, just a little more than I need.

Jeff

canguder
Level 7
http://versus.com/en/asus-geforce-gtx-titan-vs-nvidia-quadro-k6000
you cant use more than 2 quadros. But you can use 4 each titan if you got the money 🙂 Also you can buy 4 each gtx 780. But i never tested them. I just have one gtx 780 and it works for small business. Like rhino rendering , solidwork drawings etc..
CPU: INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
AIR COOLER : ZALMAN CNPS14X
MOTHERBOARD : ASUS Z87 DELUXE-DUAL
RAM : GSKILL TRIDENT 2X8GB+2X4GB 2400 MHZ (24GB TOTAL)
GRAPHICS : ZOTAC NVIDIA GEOFORCE GTX 780
SSD DRIVES : 2X SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB
HDD DRIVES : 4X3TB HDD , 4X1TB HDD , 2X2TB HDD - 12TB FIRMWARE RAID+8TB FIRM+SOFT RAID
CASE : AEROSTRIKE X ST
POWER SUPPLY : SEASONIC G-750 80PLUS
FANS : 9X120MM COOLER MASTER LED , 8X140MM XIGMATEK , 1X200MM AEROCOOL , 1X200MM COOLER MASTER , 1X120MM AEROCOOL

Antronman
Level 10
Yeah.
I dunno.
I'll either get the W7000, or the GTX 780Ti K|ngp|n.
The K|ngp|n interests me, because I can test all of the Geforce technology in UE4, but the W7000 is a lot more stable and better suited to renders and 3D modelling.

canguder
Level 7
w7000 hasn't got best reviews from newegg customers. the kingpin got five stars from 22 customers.
CPU: INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
AIR COOLER : ZALMAN CNPS14X
MOTHERBOARD : ASUS Z87 DELUXE-DUAL
RAM : GSKILL TRIDENT 2X8GB+2X4GB 2400 MHZ (24GB TOTAL)
GRAPHICS : ZOTAC NVIDIA GEOFORCE GTX 780
SSD DRIVES : 2X SAMSUNG 840EVO 120GB
HDD DRIVES : 4X3TB HDD , 4X1TB HDD , 2X2TB HDD - 12TB FIRMWARE RAID+8TB FIRM+SOFT RAID
CASE : AEROSTRIKE X ST
POWER SUPPLY : SEASONIC G-750 80PLUS
FANS : 9X120MM COOLER MASTER LED , 8X140MM XIGMATEK , 1X200MM AEROCOOL , 1X200MM COOLER MASTER , 1X120MM AEROCOOL