cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS & Kingston Present The "Hyper Xpress"

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Around 24 hours ago I was on Facebook and I came across an article posted by eTeknix.com, showing off ASUS and Kingston's "HyperX" Team's 1st joint venture SSD; the ASUS Hyper Xpress.

http://www.eteknix.com/asus-and-hyperx-join-forces-with-the-hyperxpress-ssd/

It's a rather short article which left me less than impressed:

This week saw two industry giants joining forces for a demonstration of the first Asus branded SSD hard drive, the HyperXpress. As the name suggests, the Asus SSD has been co-developed by the legendary HyperX team at Kingston, a brand who already have many of the best memory and storage products on the market today to their name.

The new drive is 9.5mm thick and comes in the usual 2.5″ form factor that we’ve come to know and love from the SSD market. It’s packed full of features and comes with support of the SATA Express interface, which is set to hit the market next month, alongside the launch of the new Intel Z97 Express chipset and Intel’s Core Haswell Refresh processor range.

The drive is pretty common place in terms of components, featuring a host-agnostic RAID0 array of two mSATA 6 Gb/s SSDs, both of which are wired to a host controller from ASMedia. It will still behave like a single drive despite its dual hard drive nature, but it should benefit from the performance gains we normally see in RAID configurations.

The drive is still an early prototype and ASUS said that future models could run a pair of M.2 SSDs instead of mSATA, giving even better performance that what was seen from the recent demonstration (see chart below). With Computex 2014 just weeks away now (eTeknix will be there), ASUS are expected to launch a huge range of new storage products, so stay tuned for more information.

6 REPLIES 6

X-ROG
Level 15
OK some corrections:

It's Hyper Express, not HyperXpress ( as it says on the SSD itself!)
It is not co-branded with Kingston. We only feature their logo/SSDs in this one picture by chance. We also had demo units with Apacer, SanDisk and other brands inside to show our compatibility.
The enclosure is still in development and will not come with drives inside, and have two sizes: 2.5" and 3.5" to suit your needs. It willbe sold separately not bundled.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
OK some corrections:

It's Hyper Express, not HyperXpress ( as it says on the SSD itself!)
It is not co-branded with Kingston. We only feature their logo/SSDs in this one picture by chance. We also had demo units with Apacer, SanDisk and other brands inside to show our compatibility.
The enclosure is still in development and will not come with drives inside, and have two sizes: 2.5" and 3.5" to suit your needs. It willbe sold separately not bundled.

Sorry Boss, my apologies. Though one thing I am curious about, well, actually stunned by is the fact that ASUS jammed an ASMedia chip in there for control....funny thing is, I never knew ASMedia could do RAID. Pretty sure a few people in these here Forums have said multiple times that ASMedia doesn't do RAID.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Sorry Boss, my apologies. Though one thing I am curious about, well, actually stunned by is the fact that ASUS jammed an ASMedia chip in there for control....funny thing is, I never knew ASMedia could do RAID. Pretty sure a few people in these here Forums have said multiple times that ASMedia doesn't do RAID.

Totally not blaming anyone! 😄 Just correcting wrong info (by media) before it becomes a 'thing' 🙂

Most, if not all RAID chips on MB these days are ASMedia/Marvell! We work closely with ASMedia to get it SATA Express compatible, so we're the first to have it.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
I never knew ASMedia could do RAID. Pretty sure a few people in these here Forums have said multiple times that ASMedia doesn't do RAID.

Hello

RAID capability is dependent on the controller chip used. ASMedia and Marvell have both RAID and non-RAID capable controllers.

Praz wrote:
Hello

RAID capability is dependent on the controller chip used. ASMedia and Marvell have both RAID and non-RAID capable controllers.

Cool, thanks for that info. Heh love the fact that i'm always learning something 😄

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
oh, lol. I thought RAID was controlled by the chipset provided by AMD/Intel, never realized or knew it was a 3rd party product.