cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mPCIe Combo II (M6E) & M.2 (NGFF) SSD Card Compatibility ?

Nos_Defions
Level 7
Motherboard: Maximus VI Extreme (BIOS v.1402) w/ mPCIe Combo II

What is the specific size (length) & compatibility information (Make/Model) of M.2 (NGFF) SSD cards that will fit into the mPCIe Combo II Card Slot ?

It appears it will need to be a short M.2 module due to the motherboard supplemental power plug & CPU power plugs at the top of the board & the top L-shaped heatsink array.

It also appears the mPCIe Combo II will have to be removed from the motherboard to install the M.2 SSD ?

The product website & manuals do not give clear info/specifications on these specific questions.

Thanks

Other System Info:
CPU: Intel i7-4770k
Memory: G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro, 512GB
HHD: WD Black, 4TB
Video: EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 280L, AIO/CLC
PSU: XFX Pro 1000W
Accessories:
ASUS ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express
NZXT HUE, USB Expander Boards, Grid Fan Hub
System Info: Maximus VI Extreme; Intel i7-4770k; G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32 GB; PNY Optima, 240 GB x 3; WD Black, 4 TB x 2; EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX; Cooler Master HAF-X; Cooler Master Nepton 280L; Corsair AF 120 & 140mm Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 & 230mm Fans; XFX Pro 1000W, Platinum PSU; Windows 8.1 Pro; Logitech G19s, G602 & C920; Accessories: ASUS- ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express; NZXT- HUE RGB LED Controller, IU01 USB Expander, & Grid Fan Hub.
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Nos Defions wrote:
Motherboard: Maximus VI Extreme (BIOS v.1402) w/ mPCIe Combo II

What is the specific size (length) & compatibility information (Make/Model) of M.2 (NGFF) SSD cards that will fit into the mPCIe Combo II Card Slot ?

It appears it will need to be a short M.2 module due to the motherboard supplemental power plug & CPU power plugs at the top of the board & the top L-shaped heatsink array.

It also appears the mPCIe Combo II will have to be removed from the motherboard to install the M.2 SSD ?

The product website & manuals do not give clear info/specifications on these specific questions.

Thanks

Other System Info:
CPU: Intel i7-4770k
Memory: G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro, 512GB
HHD: WD Black, 4TB
Video: EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 280L, AIO/CLC
PSU: XFX Pro 1000W
Accessories:
ASUS ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express
NZXT HUE, USB Expander Boards, Grid Fan Hub

Hello

All asked info can be found in the motherboard manual. Page 2-11.

PRAZ,

Thanks for the info. I overlooked that page.

Upon review, I'll have to completely remove the motherboard to get to the mPCIe Combo II module as it is screwed in from the back of the mobo (per instructions/manual).

If I had it to do over, I would not use that rear motherboard screw mount.

Is there any reason the mPCIe Combo II cannot be screwed to the mobo from the frontside ?

Has anyone actually used this feature yet, and if so, what Make/Model of M.2 SSD cards were found to work (or not) ?
System Info: Maximus VI Extreme; Intel i7-4770k; G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32 GB; PNY Optima, 240 GB x 3; WD Black, 4 TB x 2; EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX; Cooler Master HAF-X; Cooler Master Nepton 280L; Corsair AF 120 & 140mm Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 & 230mm Fans; XFX Pro 1000W, Platinum PSU; Windows 8.1 Pro; Logitech G19s, G602 & C920; Accessories: ASUS- ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express; NZXT- HUE RGB LED Controller, IU01 USB Expander, & Grid Fan Hub.

X-ROG
Level 15
It must be at most 2042 length and PCI-Express, not SATA. You can buy a PCIe 2x card and it will work at the mPCIe Combo II 1x speeds, then when/if you upgrade to Z97 you can pop it in for a performance boost to 10Gbps.

IM2L844
Level 12
upgrade to Z97 you can pop it in for a performance boost to 10Gbps.

This area of development is one of the most interesting, to me. The mobile market is driving all sorts of new R&D in the memory and storage arenas that I think will bode well for PC enthusiasts in the near future. Care to speculate on how the PC enthusiasts will benefit from ASUS's R&D over the course of the next couple of generations of consumer PC boards etc., et al.? We won't hold you to any of it.

BTW, having read some Richard Swinburne, the Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at the University of Oxford, it's a little disconcerting, in a cognitively dissonant sort of way whenever I see one of your posts. I just can't reconcile the two mental images I get.

X-ROG
Level 15
I am not an old man. He steals my online thunder.
We're probably the only two Swinburne families in the UK. There's more in Australia: there's a whole university in Aus!

IM2L844
Level 12
He steals my online thunder.

You could steal it back by spilling some beans, you tight lipped #*%@^&! (<- insert choice term of endearment). Oh come on, we know ASUS is planning something really, really, really cool for ROG in anticipation of PCIe 4.0 implementation of M.2 SSDs with NVMe controllers in the future. You could become famous (and possibly unemployed) overnight, but if you were to let slip an inscrutable riddle every now and then...hey, that's marketing! They'd probably give you a raise. No?