cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z87 pro - Updating BIOS without POST

pages
Level 7
Hi all ,

I've been searching for ways to update this BIOS but most of the resources use the utilities from the BIOS menu options.
I'm building this rig myself and it won't go to POST so i'm hoping that updating the BIOS might resolve my issue.

Now i've seen posts about updating the BIOS http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback
But they seem specific to that model since the Z87-pro doesn't come with that button on the main panel.

What I've tried doing is downloading the latest BIOS from here
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=Z87-PRO&cpu=Core%20i7-4770K%20(3.5...

I've unzipped it and put the file name (Z87-PRO-ASUS-1802.CAP) on the root folder of the FAT32 USB stick and tried powering it on with the USB key in both the front panel on the chassis and the USB slot integrated on the board.
While the motherboard powers up and goes to it's predictable qcode of 00 and a red cpu led and no beeps 😕 ..... I hold down the BIOS_FLBK button for at least 10 seconds , but the FLBK_LED doesn't start blinking.

I'm at a lose at what to do here and any advice would be appreciated .
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15

pages
Level 7
Asus Z87-Pro S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX
intel i7-4770k 3.5HGZ , 8MB Cache , LGA1150
Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance Pro Blue DDR3 1600MHz CL9
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 1072MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler
K2 Gamer Case & 120mm Red Fan USB 3.0 & 500W Alpine PSU

pages wrote:
Asus Z87-Pro S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX
intel i7-4770k 3.5HGZ , 8MB Cache , LGA1150
Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance Pro Blue DDR3 1600MHz CL9
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 1072MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler
K2 Gamer Case & 120mm Red Fan USB 3.0 & 500W Alpine PSU

Please confirm that you have your 8 pin power cable connected to your motherboard.

Chino wrote:
Please confirm that you have your 8 pin power cable connected to your motherboard.

Yeah , well the PSU only gives the 4 pin power for the CPU but in the manual it says it's fine and it's plugged into the correct 4 holes as shown in the booklet

Wickman wrote:

You rename your Z87-PRO-ASUS-1802.CAP file to Z87P.CAP.
Place it on the root of your thumb USB drive.
Delete the other .zip and .cap files.

Be awere of that the USB drive MUST be a USB 2 drive and formatted FAT32 and placed in the right usb port.
The mob shall be in stand by position.

Good Luck

Thanks for the help , managed to flash the BIOS ( well it was running for a while and then stopped so assumed it completed)

Put back in the CPU,Fan and the RAM and tried booting up but again no luck.
Still getting the red cpu_led and q-Code 00.

My options seem to be this
- Motherboard is faulty and no recognising CPU ( I've examined the pins and none are bent )
- CPU is faulty , there's no pins on it to be bent or external damage but it could simply be a dud

outside chance
- The PSU is faulty and not supplying enough power ( only seen on other forums where the PSU powered the fans but didn't give enough juice for the CPU )

I'll be getting a friends PSU tonight and will test it out and post results in case others are having same issues

Oh well it's not the PSU thats faulty , same result with a different one

Wickman
Level 7
You rename your Z87-PRO-ASUS-1802.CAP file to Z87P.CAP.
Place it on the root of your thumb USB drive.
Delete the other .zip and .cap files.

Be awere of that the USB drive MUST be a USB 2 drive and formatted FAT32 and placed in the right usb port.
The mob shall be in stand by position.

Good Luck

🙂

Wickman
Level 7
Have you ever been able to boot, before the attempt of updateing your bios?

Because you failed in the first attempt, you must also do a "standby cmos reset", a reset in power standby position. That will also reset your ME.

philo
Level 7
You must rename your origin bios name to Z87ST.CAP.

philo wrote:
You must rename your origin bios name to Z87ST.CAP.

That is absolutly wrong, he doesn't have a Sabertooth mob.