cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not load games with extended desktop.

Phantzm
Level 7
Good morning all !!

I recently purchased a G750JM for myself to replace my old gaming tower that I built in 2009. Yeah, it was way past due.

Anyway, I have set up my desktop to extend from my VIZIO 26" monitor to the display on my G750JM. Everything works fine with it like that , except for games. Whenever I go to play a game (ESO,RIFT,GW2 & Neverwinter) it freezes up. If I unplug the HDMI from the G750JM everything works fine. Plug it in and again , games do not seem to load. I may have overlooked something somewhere, but a fresh set of ideas or better yet , first hand experience with fixing this issue would be grand.

Thanks.

Gary
ASUS G750JM+
32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
Phantzm wrote:
Good morning all !!

I recently purchased a G750JM for myself to replace my old gaming tower that I built in 2009. Yeah, it was way past due.

Anyway, I have set up my desktop to extend from my VIZIO 26" monitor to the display on my G750JM. Everything works fine with it like that , except for games. Whenever I go to play a game (ESO,RIFT,GW2 & Neverwinter) it freezes up. If I unplug the HDMI from the G750JM everything works fine. Plug it in and again , games do not seem to load. I may have overlooked something somewhere, but a fresh set of ideas or better yet , first hand experience with fixing this issue would be grand.

Thanks.

Gary

In my experience you can't run full screen games across extended desktop on a single Nvidia card, only SLI, and only 3 screens. If you want to game on the external monitor use separate screens configuration and set it as Primary and start the game there.

If the game allows windowed mode, you can try starting that way at 1920x1080 and stretch the screen...

Thanks for your reply hmscott.

Could it be due to different resolutions ? I believe the native for the VIZIO is 1900x1200 or such. It's weird though as sometimes it will work fine, but most of the time it will not.

I was thinking maybe I had missed some settings somewhere , but my other laptop worked just fine set up that way. /shrug

I'll give it another go tonight when I get home and see if I bungled something up somewhere.
ASUS G750JM+

Phantzm wrote:
Thanks for your reply hmscott.

Could it be due to different resolutions ? I believe the native for the VIZIO is 1900x1200 or such. It's weird though as sometimes it will work fine, but most of the time it will not.

I was thinking maybe I had missed some settings somewhere , but my other laptop worked just fine set up that way. /shrug

I'll give it another go tonight when I get home and see if I bungled something up somewhere.

That was in my first edit, make sure the screens are the same resolution, but not sure if that helps - you can give it a try. Let us know what games do / don't work 🙂

Thestroj
Level 8
try normal VGA cable...

but u must have the same resolutions on both screens for sure...
It should work with the same resolution on both screens.

Works on JX with no problem...

I tried it with both resolutions set the same, it's still a no go.

So I just set the VIZIO as the output and play that way. Eventually I'll give it a go again, but I guess it's not 100% necessary to be able to look up stuff on the laptop screen while playing.

Thanks for all the ideas to fix this though. Wish they had worked.

Keep on \m/
ASUS G750JM+

Phantzm wrote:
I tried it with both resolutions set the same, it's still a no go.

So I just set the VIZIO as the output and play that way. Eventually I'll give it a go again, but I guess it's not 100% necessary to be able to look up stuff on the laptop screen while playing.

Thanks for all the ideas to fix this though. Wish they had worked.

Keep on \m/

The 2nd screen concept should make it to PC desktops 🙂

Updates later... much later...