cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen flickering and horizontal lines on G750JX

Andie
Level 7
I have a G750JX and have been having problems with my screen flickering for quite a while now and it seems to be getting worse. All my drivers are up to date and I can't seem to fix it, it doesn't show up all of the time and you can see it mostly when the screen is grey, it seems to be more prominent if I turn down the screen brightness (so I have to have the brightness up on 100% which is highly annoying).

What's bothering me the most though is that these last couple of days I noticed that when I plug the laptop into my TV to watch Netflix the picture quality sometimes get horrible during action-packed scenes/scenes where people are moving a lot. Sometimes there's even horizonal lines across the screen, the kind of lines that can show up on old VHS-tapes. I don't know what to do to make this stop and I'm reluctant about sending it back because I'm worried that they won't see the things I see because the flickering is hard to spot at first and the horizontal VHS-lines problems only show up randomly when watching a movie. Also, I'm very dependant on a laptop and I'd hate to send it away and be without a computer for a month.

Anyone else having problems? Have you fixed them and if so what did you do?

Thank you for reading!
3 REPLIES 3

hmscott
Level 12
Andie wrote:
I have a G750JX and have been having problems with my screen flickering for quite a while now and it seems to be getting worse. All my drivers are up to date and I can't seem to fix it, it doesn't show up all of the time and you can see it mostly when the screen is grey, it seems to be more prominent if I turn down the screen brightness (so I have to have the brightness up on 100% which is highly annoying).

What's bothering me the most though is that these last couple of days I noticed that when I plug the laptop into my TV to watch Netflix the picture quality sometimes get horrible during action-packed scenes/scenes where people are moving a lot. Sometimes there's even horizonal lines across the screen, the kind of lines that can show up on old VHS-tapes. I don't know what to do to make this stop and I'm reluctant about sending it back because I'm worried that they won't see the things I see because the flickering is hard to spot at first and the horizontal VHS-lines problems only show up randomly when watching a movie. Also, I'm very dependant on a laptop and I'd hate to send it away and be without a computer for a month.

Anyone else having problems? Have you fixed them and if so what did you do?

Thank you for reading!

If you have a Chi Mei screen you can set a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia control panel for 85hz-100hz and that will get rid of the Chi Mei flickering. I ran both my JW and JX at 100hz without problems, and verified with Asus tech support that it was safe to run at higher stable refresh. Some were able to run at 110hz, but the highest stable I could get on both screens was 100hz - 105hz showed sparkles.

If your screen is an AUO, the highest refresh is 70hz.

If you are seeing horizontal sparkles at 60hz, watch carefully at higher refresh, you might have a bad panel.
Update: Like Prostar says below, if you have bad artifacts on internal screen and external screen it is likely a faulty video in the laptop - file a Technical Inquiry with Asus with the details - possible RMA.

Let us know what you find.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
There's a good possibility the video card is defective. Display problems on both internal and external displays often necessitates a repair on or replacement of the card.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

KoolASUS
Level 7
you have probably a Chi-Mei screen.

horizontal lines with those are usually seen with old Nvidia drivers. but you say they are updated ?