cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH feeze spikes while gaming

A_Sammy
Level 7
My G750JH laptop has been doing since almost ever since I bought it. I would be playing a game, and then I do something that requires loading an asset, like for example opening my inventory, having a cutscene or a conversation start, opening a menu..etc, and the game video briefly freezes. Audio does not freeze or loop, keeps running normally, it's just the image that freezes for a second or two. Interestingly, if I try to repeat the action very soon, not freeze occurs, like for example if opening my inventory causes a freeze spike, closing it and opening it again several times soon after goes smoothly. Sounds like a problem with the memory, but I'm no expert so I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. I've restored my laptop twice and tried to keep installed program to a minimal, but the problem still persists. Please help.
8 REPLIES 8

hmscott
Level 12
A Sammy wrote:
My G750JH laptop has been doing since almost ever since I bought it. I would be playing a game, and then I do something that requires loading an asset, like for example opening my inventory, having a cutscene or a conversation start, opening a menu..etc, and the game video briefly freezes. Audio does not freeze or loop, keeps running normally, it's just the image that freezes for a second or two. Interestingly, if I try to repeat the action very soon, not freeze occurs, like for example if opening my inventory causes a freeze spike, closing it and opening it again several times soon after goes smoothly. Sounds like a problem with the memory, but I'm no expert so I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. I've restored my laptop twice and tried to keep installed program to a minimal, but the problem still persists. Please help.

A Sammy, do you have the game installed on the RAID0 boot drive, or the HD? Did you turn off paging? Do put your ant-virus in game mode or disable it? Anything else scanning your reads/writes?

Generally those kind of freezes are due to waiting on IO, from the disk is slow if the disk head parked or slept. Turning off everything that takes away IO while you are gaming is the key. Stop/disable anti-virus, stop paging, stop AAM/APM with quiethdd, stop background indexing (turn off / disable search indexing), stop media indexing - Cyberlink products, background upates/downloads, etc.

quiethdd
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

There is a bug in Windows 8.1 that classifies the RAID0 as an HD instead of an SSD, check by right clicking on the C drive, and select properties, then Tools, then Optimize, does the C drive show as an SSD or HD?

If it shows up as an HD, then start a CMD windows as Administrator and run:

winsat formal

Let it complete, reboot, and confirm the C drive shows up now as an SSD, then run the Optimize on the C drive and your 1TB HD, and reboot.

Lots of things 🙂

- Some of the games are installed on an SSD and some on the HD, same issue with both
- I don't know what paging is
- Even before I installed an anti-virus I had this problem
- I don't think there's something scanning, is there a way to know?
- I use Windows 8.0

A Sammy wrote:
- Some of the games are installed on an SSD and some on the HD, same issue with both
- I don't know what paging is
- Even before I installed an anti-virus I had this problem
- I don't think there's something scanning, is there a way to know?
- I use Windows 8.0

Your JH came with McAfee anti-virus installed, did you uninstall it and run without an anti-virus? What anti-virus are you running now?

So you have this problem on multiple/all games? Why don't I see this freeze / lag at all on any games?

I have a JH running Windows 8.1 + all Windows and current driver updates, disabled paging, turned off all WIndows / media indexing, disabled all the startup / updating software I can find that can run in the background at unexpected times, and optimize my SSD's frequently.

Have you done all Windows 8.0 updates, and installed all 8.0/8.1 driver updates? - the latest 8.1 updates should be fine on 8.0. Have you optimized your C drive SSD - runs TRIM?

Are you running the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia?

If you have been waiting for the drivers to catch up to Windows 8.1, they have, now is the time to update to Windows 8.1 + the latest Nvidia beta driver 🙂

Bringing everything up to date, and getting a handle on controlling IO access to your drives will pay off in performance that you don't need to debug - if everything is updated and tuned, then you can start debugging IO issues - until then you are chasing your tail - you need a good solid base to start.

A_Sammy
Level 7
- I uninstalled McAfee, stayed without an Anti-Virus for a while, then installed AVG. Had problems in all states. Just now I disabled AVG to test, still facing the same issue.
- Yes I am having this problem with almost every game I play on this laptop.
- I have Windows 8.0, I don't like installing OS's soon after thier launch, I prefer to wait until they fix most issues that rise up after launch.
- My Windows and Nvidia drivers are up-to-date. Just checked.

A Sammy wrote:
- I uninstalled McAfee, stayed without an Anti-Virus for a while, then installed AVG. Had problems in all states. Just now I disabled AVG to test, still facing the same issue.
- Yes I am having this problem with almost every game I play on this laptop.
- I have Windows 8.0, I don't like installing OS's soon after thier launch, I prefer to wait until they fix most issues that rise up after launch.
- My Windows and Nvidia drivers are up-to-date. Just checked.

Ok, have fun, when you are ready to do all the work to update and tune, come on back and we will be here to help you through it all. 🙂

I am ready! 🙂

A Sammy wrote:
I am ready! 🙂

Download all the Windows 8.1 drivers from the new G750JM/JS/JZ download areas. The JH/JX/JW download areas aren't kept up to date, you need to get the latest Windows drivers from what Asus has most recently released.

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

You will need to figure out what hardware you have for wireless, lan, bluetooth. You can look at the names of what you already have installed and their versions, and compare to what you find in the JM area first - you might find them all there - if not check out the JS/JZ areas.

Then do all the Windows 8.0 updates, optional updates too, reboot, and go into the Store to get the Windows 8.1 update downloaded and installed.

Then do all the Windows 8.1 updates, optional updates too.

Then install all the 8.1 updates you downloaded. - It may be possible to do all these Windows 8.1 updates under Windows 8.0 ... up to you.

Then investigate the mentioned above tweaks and tunings to reduce IO, optimize, and reboot in between as needed.

Try some games 🙂

Depending on how OCD you are about a clean upgrade path, you could also do a recovery restore of your JH back to factory release settings, and do all the Windows 8.0 updates onto a clean start... up to you.

Come back and let us know what you did and how it works out! 🙂

A_Sammy
Level 7
Sorry for necro posting, but this problem has never been solved for me..i restored several times, and the the problem would stop occurring for a few days before happening again. I have searched the forums high and low, but there are a lot of different suggestions and none seems to do the trick, seems this problem has never been solved actually! It's pretty annoying to buy a very expensive laptop especially for gaming and run into so much trouble while gaming!