cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realbench Stress Testing Setup & Benchmarking Question

riesscar
Level 10
Hello,

I am in the process of trying to find my 4930k's max stable overclock, and I wondered if I could get some clarification on this software's settings and which test to choose.

I have 32GBs of Corsair Dom Plat 2133 MHz (4x8GB DIMMs) installed on a RIVE BE running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. What amount of memory should I choose to test to ensure stability: 4, 8 or 16GBs?. Additionally, which test provides a better indication of system stability: the stress test or the benchmark? I have noticed that the benchmark test seems to test more than the stress test. I am wary of which stability test to run, because I can pass a AIDA64 stress test for hours with no issue on an overclock that BSODs when I run a realbench benchmark test.

Thanks for any info,

Carson
8 REPLIES 8

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Run the stress test for a minimum of 2 hours. You should choose the amount of memory you have installed. However as you are limited to a max of 16GB for memory testing choose that. In the future both 32GB and 64GB will be available options.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Run the stress test for a minimum of 2 hours. You should choose the amount of memory you have installed. However as you are limited to a max of 16GB for memory testing choose that. In the future both 32GB and 64GB will be available options.

I see... thanks for the info.

jab383
Level 13
Some additional comments on stability testing -- all my own opinions with plenty of room for YMMV.

I've used several stress tests to indicate stabilty of an OC profile. They give varying results.

Aida64 isn't very good, except for stressing memory. Profiles that pass CPU, FPU and cache stresses for hours still give me BSOD in more stringent tests. Aida 64 is the best monitoring program for all the sensors going on around a modern CPU. The stripchart graph is valuable for recording what happens during a full screen app or game where you can't see a monitoring display in real time. Its memory read/write/latency benchmark is also a great indication of progress when tweaking memory. Great for sensing/monitoring -- poor for stress/stability tests.

Prime95, including that in Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), is next best. XTU uses Prime95 as a competitive benchmark. I still get BSOD in Adobe CS6, Realbench, etc. after passing Prime95.

Realbench is better yet and is more fun as a competitive benchmark. I use the benchmark to indicate stability because it covers more of the system. Unfortunately, a profile running well and scoring high in Realbench still throws bluescreens at me in other tests and at a particular point in a CS6 workflow.

A profile that passes OCCT large data set test has never thrown a blue screen at me. In this case, 'pass' means running for a mere three minutes without error! OCCT pulls about the same power as Aida64, but runs at lower temperatures because the heat is distributed around the CPU chip more evenly than the hotspots generated by Aida64. I also run OCCT's Linpack option for 90% memory coverage (4 minutes) as a final test after memory tweaks. From that, you can tell I think OCCT is a pretty good stability test. It's also free to individual users.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
Some additional comments on stability testing -- all my own opinions with plenty of room for YMMV.

I've used several stress tests to indicate stabilty of an OC profile. They give varying results.

Aida64 isn't very good, except for stressing memory. Profiles that pass CPU, FPU and cache stresses for hours still give me BSOD in more stringent tests. Aida 64 is the best monitoring program for all the sensors going on around a modern CPU. The stripchart graph is valuable for recording what happens during a full screen app or game where you can't see a monitoring display in real time. Its memory read/write/latency benchmark is also a great indication of progress when tweaking memory. Great for sensing/monitoring -- poor for stress/stability tests.

Prime95, including that in Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), is next best. XTU uses Prime95 as a competitive benchmark. I still get BSOD in Adobe CS6, Realbench, etc. after passing Prime95.

Realbench is better yet and is more fun as a competitive benchmark. I use the benchmark to indicate stability because it covers more of the system. Unfortunately, a profile running well and scoring high in Realbench still throws bluescreens at me in other tests and at a particular point in a CS6 workflow.

A profile that passes OCCT large data set test has never thrown a blue screen at me. In this case, 'pass' means running for a mere three minutes without error! OCCT pulls about the same power as Aida64, but runs at lower temperatures because the heat is distributed around the CPU chip more evenly than the hotspots generated by Aida64. I also run OCCT's Linpack option for 90% memory coverage (4 minutes) as a final test after memory tweaks. From that, you can tell I think OCCT is a pretty good stability test. It's also free to individual users.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks so much for the info... it really clears things up and provides me with a good route to take for achieving system stability. I too have noticed that AIDA64 is not very reliable as a stress tester. I also agree that it is the best monitoring program around... I have a series of active charts and bar indicators on my second monitor that are invaluable, and I also have a Razer DeathStalker Ultimate keyboard that has an LED screen upon which AIDA runs temp and clock info.

I will take your advice and grab OCCT... if I don't see a BSOD for 50 years it will still be too soon! 😄

Thanks again,

Carson

Alaxang
Level 7
I did the RB Benchmark infinite only to have luxmark64.exe failed at around the 2hr mark haha. I like the RB stresstest more as it is able to tell me the issue earlier for me to correct on my voltage tuning.

Alaxang
Level 7
After seeing what jeff suggest regarding occt. I went to download and tried it on my rig. I had to retune my vcore, vccsa and vtt I got from RB stress and benchmark test. Finally after 5 hrs, I managed to passed 1hr of default cpu test without any error. (Lots of error detected between 2min marks to 39min marks)

Fingers crossed it stable for good.

Retired
Not applicable
Launch them all simultaneously...:D

Rog RB stress test,+Prime95,+OCCT