cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE 8pin burnt after nearly 2 years of usage...

derek0309
Level 7
Incident:

Computer started to randomly restart without BSOD or any warnings a couple days ago, proceed to update BIOS, problem seemed to be solved. Got a BSOD this morning, restart, no post, no debug code, clear cmos, took out cmos battery, switch to BIOS2, motherboard then reverted back to the default BIOS (older version) upon power-up, rebooted, no post, no debug led, Cpu_led was red. Tried to flash bios using usb bios flashback, no luck, called ASUS support and was told I would receive a RMA instruction within 24hrs. Then I took out my motherboard( didn't want to do it at first because I am on custom watercooling loop and it is such a hassle to take the board out). Anyways, the 8pin port on the motherboard is burnt, after 2 years of stable usage under the same overclocking setting. And I did not have the 4pin port plugged since I started using the board (the manual does not state I must). Unfortunately this is my only desktop system, so I can't really test my other parts right now, will have to go to NCIX(I live in Canada) and pay them $50 to test those for me.

My worries right now is:

Will ASUS honor the warranty on this board? I don't see other damages other than the 8pin port , and like I said I have been using it almost 24/7 under the same setting for the past 2 years. Also one of the white lock of the ram slot is very slightly damaged becoz of my display card waterblock ( it is purely cosmetic, its the lower lock which doesnt even act as a lock)

The connector of my 8pin cable is also burnt, so is it the PSU or the board? (My psu is Corsair AX850 which I believe is a high quality product)

Would it possible to have damaged my CPU as well? ( I know RIVE has the overvoltage protection but I am worried, if I take the CPU to the computer shop and test it and it works, does it mean it is 100% healthy?)

Thank you for your time, I appreciate all kind of input, am really tired and exhausted, spent almost 10hours trying to revive my system as I spend more than 8hrs on it daily, all I have left is a crappy laptop.
14 REPLIES 14

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hello, welcome to the ROG Forums. Surprising you can even power on your system as you need the 4PIN 12V EPS connected to get the system to boot, it even says so in the manual 2-39

Do not forget to connect the 4pin/8pin EATX 12V power plug; otherwise the system will not boot.

Most people will tell you to connect the 4PIN if you are overclocking so that you don't overload the 8PIN connector and burn it out, which you have done.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Hello, welcome to the ROG Forums. Surprising you can even power on your system as you need the 4PIN 12V EPS connected to get the system to boot, it even says so in the manual 2-39

Most people will tell you to connect the 4PIN if you are overclocking so that you don't overload the 8PIN connector and burn it out, which you have done.

Do not forget to connect the 4pin/8pin EATX 12V power plug; otherwise the system will not boot.

As far as I understand, 4pin/8pin means 4pin or 8 pin, otherwise it would have been 4pin&8pin. Also if I am causing the overrun and burnout why does it only happen after almost 2years of 24/7 usage?

If both 4pin and 8pin has to be connected then I shouldnt have been able to power up the system and use it 24/7 overclocked for almost 2 years.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:

Those comments seem to contradict what you said

Myk SilentShadow wrote:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11440-Rampage-IV-Extreme-4-pin-and-8-pin-motherboard-power

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have a good look at the VRM for signs of damage etc. something has failed and caused a short or something like that, the burning is from current ...maybe loose connection over time...maybe watercooling failed? Have a very good look at the board.

What OC?

The extra 4pin ATX is not there for nothing...it is there to avoid pulling too much current over the 8pin ATX connector....always best to populate it if you can.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have a good look at the VRM for signs of damage etc. something has failed and caused a short or something like that, the burning is from current ...maybe loose connection over time...maybe watercooling failed? Have a very good look at the board.

What OC?

The extra 4pin ATX is not there for nothing...it is there to avoid pulling too much current over the 8pin ATX connector....always best to populate it if you can.

Thanks for the input. VRM looks fine to me without taking off the heatsink, loose connection over time is unlikely as the computer was never moved and I am sure I have firm connection right from the beginning, corsair's cables are pretty firm. There was no leakage from watercooling for sure and from my setup no way it would affect where the 8pin is located anyway. All the caps and other things look fine from the board.

Now that I understand I will populate the 4pin as well if I do get a replacement board, but I was saying it is not the cause or definitive cause of the problem.

My OC was 3930k@4.6Ghz@1.35v

Anyways what my concerns really are:

Will ASUS honor the warranty on this board? I don't see other damages other than the 8pin port , and like I said I have been using it almost 24/7 under the same setting for the past 2 years. Also one of the white lock of the ram slot is very slightly damaged becoz of my display card waterblock ( it is purely cosmetic, its the lower lock which doesnt even act as a lock)

The connector of my 8pin cable is also burnt, so is it the PSU or the board? (My psu is Corsair AX850 which I believe is a high quality product)

Would it possible to have damaged my CPU as well? ( I know RIVE has the overvoltage protection but I am worried, if I take the CPU to the computer shop and test it and it works, does it mean it is 100% healthy?)

Given whatever happened happened I am more concerned with the followups

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Far be it for me to disagree with Arne, but it's more likely that a poor connection between the plug and the socket has caused this. Poor connections get hot, which makes them more resistive, which makes them get hotter...

So this wouldn't be more current flowing through the connector, it would be more voltage dropped across the connector, and therefore more power dissipated by the connector itself.

Can't disagree with that. If you've got it, populate it.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
When current runs amok there is no guarantee of course that something else is not damaged. Check the bottom of the CPU...the contacts for the pins...see if any are discoloured...if you test the CPU and it works then it should be fine but long term who knows? No one can say for sure 100% but if it still works I would not be too worried. Can you see where the failure was on the connction...the PSU cable or the ATX socket on the board...you should be able to see where the short was...look at the back of the ATX socket etc.

I don't see why ASUS wouldn't honour the warranty if you are pretty sure it's not your fault and any slight damage to plastic shouldn't count...if it's badly chewed then maybe.....

Do you have any photos of the damage etc?

Retired
Not applicable
Derek, is you 8 pin connector striker/lock/hasp intact and working?

If it is missing, and you got a bad connection connector/socket a damage like this can happen..