cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing a bit of help with part picking

SilverHowler
Level 7
Budget: $7000-$8000(Would like to keep under 6k though)
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, 3D Rendering, Animation, Digital painting
Parts required: Just fussing over RAM and debating between fans/liquid cooling
Previous build information (list details of parts):
3Gb RAM(Can't remember specifics)
Nvidia GTX 9800 series, 1GB
Zombified 7 year old ASUS board that I can't remember the name of
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.40GHz
Honestly, only thing that'll be reused out of this is my 3TB's in HDD's. Rest of parts aren't necessary for listing.
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080, 3DVision capable, 120Hz
Storage requirements: Already have 3TB's, moving up to 4, maybe 5. I hoard.
Will you be overclocking: Heck yeah
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Motherboard picked 😛
Extra information about desired system: (Please note that this is only for the tower, accessories coming in later) Honestly, this rig just needs to be able to take a freaking beating. I am in no way gentle. The machine I've got here, according to Bethsoft, should barely be able to run Oblivion on Medium. Skyrim on Ultra with 164 mods..I have them horrified. This thing is also past its death date, it's a zombie that I've dragged back from the grave a few times. Be afraid. I make this poor thing do much, MUCH more than its (According to manufacturers and the like) capable of. 😛

Anyways, as stated, I'm just fussing over which RAM to get and whether to go with liquid cooling or fans...Iffy on the liquid cooling because there are always risks and I don't want my 7k baby shorting out because a hose broke. I've settled on 64GB's(It's not excessive, shush) but I can't decide which brand or type..Leaning towards the Vengeance Pro kit. Bah. Here's my list, anyways. (Note that this is a work in progress, recommend swaps as you like) I am new to building custom computers(This will be my first, in fact) so any help is appreciated, even if you are simply calling me an idiot in a constructive manner. If you see anything I'm obviously missing that hasn't already been listed as having a reason behind it, list it.

(Ignore the external HDD listed, it's for backups as stated)

Vengeance® Pro Series — 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C9 Memory Kit $369.99 -Manufacturer

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition $510 -Newegg

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case $300 -Manufacturer

Intel® Core™ i7-3970X Processor Extreme Edition
(15M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) $1060 - Manufacturer

G-Technology Touro Desk Pro 4TB 3.5" External Hard
Drive (Backups) $172.98 -Futureshop

ASUS 6x External Slim Blu-Ray Reader and DVD Writer
$130 -Futureshop

Zotac GeForce GTX Titan 6GB PCI-E Video Card
$1049.99 - Futureshop

Corsair AX1200i 1200W Power Supply $314.98 -
Futureshop

Aluratek 10-Port USB 2.0 Hub $50 -Futureshop

Anyways, that's all for now as I need to wipe drool off my keyboard(That motherboard is sexy @.@) and I'm getting a headache. 6:41 AM and almost time for this bat to pass out. thanks for taking the time to read, and have a good day.
38 REPLIES 38

kkn
Level 14
i added 2 diffrent types of size of ram in this price.
one 32gig and one 64gig.
and i added a SSD ( 512gig ) for OS and programs for fast boot.
changed GPU to EVGA and black edittion of the titan. ( was the only titan optional ).
take a look at it and see what you think, and remember both ram are in the price.
i did not add the USB hub.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3D44g

You might want to go over that list again. You have a couple problems, such as going over voltage and the max RAM this MOBO can handle. Just saying. Could be me misreading things though, tired. Just hit 14 hours and headache has centered on my left eye. Having a small boot drive is a good idea, never thought of that. Should have. Will look into it, would be a good idea to keep quickloads on a smaller drive and everything else packed onto my overflow drives. Processor seems about the same, ignoring the fact that I'll have to update my MOBO before I can use that one. Won't be a problem, though. Even if I don't have a computer when it comes time to build this one, I can always grab the software at the library, hah. Never heard of the G.Skill brand of RAM. Seems fine though, always open to second opinions. Graphics card seems to be nearly the same one I have listed, but I'll take a closer look at it later. Might just slam some monster and get this day over with though, rather than sleep. power supply seems to be the exact same one I have listed, unless I'm missing something. Other than that, between the parts there, seems fine. Will pick through them a bit more later.

Also, the USB hub is only needed because I currently have..*counts* 10 slots, all occupied and always needing more, hah.

EDIT: Yep, it was just be not comprehending some things. Ignore my temporary idiocy.

kkn
Level 14
if it is volt on memory its no problem, everything abow 1333mhz is OC.
and the processor is of the new gen witch the mobo is made for.
the majority of the users here is using the g-skill memory.
just be shure not to mix ram if you had plans to get more.
mix 2 diffrent ram kits = asking for troubble.
there will be more ppl coming in and mabye give more opinnions on this so 🙂
and that motherboard can do 64gig of ram, but in the end its the CPU that can have the problem here if it can handle that amount of ram.
the higher MHZ and amount of ram the harder it is for the CPU to handle it.
for 2400mhz i would go for 32gig max and if 64gig around the 2133mhz range.

and SSD is a HUGE performance compare to the HDD when it comes to a PC, its fast and win loads up quick and in games its several seconds quicker load time.
lets say BF4, if you had a HDD and i used a SSD i would be half across the map before you was loaded in and ready to spawn.

you listed the normal titan in your first post ( zotac ) and in the program i used to pick parts it had the titan black ( newer titan then the one you listed ).

and the RIVBE have USB2.0 and 3.0.

i listed the corsair 760D since the 800D was not in the list and the H105 ( its closed liquid loop and dual 120 fan slot ( and corsair have waranty if leaks happen by faulty in production and like that ) ) since there is no cooling solution whit the CPU when you buy it.

Already know the issues with mixing kits. Heck, even having one pin slightly out of place can cause a system to refuse to boot.(Remember to seat your cards correctly BEFORE you panic, hah) I know the MOBO maxes out at 64 gigs of RAM. I plan on using 64 gigs. Also, I use HDD as a global thing, sorry. It leads to confusion as it is incorrect, but I refer to all hard drives, SSD or otherwise, as HDD's. Bad habit.

Will keep looking at CPU's with that in mind, like I said my only concern is having to update the BIOS before the bloody thing will boot, hah.

I'll do a comparison between the Titan and Titan Black later, but as I stated I'm tired as all hell and if it's named similarly, my mind is going to read it as the same thing. I'm about to go slam some Monster and some Advil to correct this.

Thanks for the heads up on the warranty, if a faulty part fries my system they damn well better pay for it or I'm going to tear into someone, hah.

Buddy, with a max budget of 8 Grand, I'd hold off on the purchasing for now.

Wait for June, and get X99.
Unless you're getting Z97, I'd avoid any purchases this month.

And on a side note:

I don't know if you even want to spend 8 grand.
I understand if you're doing 4k renders and need a Firepro W9100, but for gaming and a little bit of 3D and animation?

6 grand is way more than enough, 5 is probably enough to get you a badass watercooled dual SLI rig.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Buddy, with a max budget of 8 Grand, I'd hold off on the purchasing for now.

Wait for June, and get X99.
Unless you're getting Z97, I'd avoid any purchases this month.

And on a side note:

I don't know if you even want to spend 8 grand.
I understand if you're doing 4k renders and need a Firepro W9100, but for gaming and a little bit of 3D and animation?

6 grand is way more than enough, 5 is probably enough to get you a badass watercooled dual SLI rig.

Have no plans on making the purchase this month. Don't have the money right now. This is to get a baseline idea that will updated as new hardware comes out, honestly. I did also say I'd like to keep it under 6k, but I REALLY like my brag-worthy, ass kicking, shiny new toys 😛

SilverHowler wrote:
Have no plans on making the purchase this month. Don't have the money right now. This is to get a baseline idea that will updated as new hardware comes out, honestly. I did also say I'd like to keep it under 6k, but I REALLY like my brag-worthy, ass kicking, shiny new toys 😛

Then it's pointless to start picking parts.

And believe me, 6 grand will get you really shiny toys.

And as the engineer famously once said,

"Sometimes, you just need a little less gun."
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Actually not pointless, when you know how my mind works. But your opinion is yours to ave. Besides, I'd still squeeze every bit of juice out of that system. Believe it or not, I need a high-end computer. "Just animating"? Psshht. Come on. You don't know what I'm trying to do, what I'm wanting to do. Sure, it's hobby work at the moment, but that's because this rig can't do everything I want it to. There's a film I've had in mind for ages that will take a beast of a machine to get done within a five year time span. I'm still refining my skills with what I have, but that's the best i can doi with this machine. I'm also working on my own game, and maybe one day I'll rival Bethsoft. Maybe Bethsoft will grind me into the dust and defecate on my grave. Who knows, honestly.

While I can run heavily modded Skyrim on Ultra with this machine, that's only stable for a good 15 minutes. Then it runs out of memory and crashes. It does the same on vanilla low, though I can get about two hours out of that. face it, this computer is crap and while it can do a few neat tricks, that's about it. I need a system I can run 3+ monitors on, gaming in HD 3D on one with 80+FPS, while working smoothly in Photoshop and zBrush on another, and possibly studying on another. I'm an efficient multitasker and this system here is years behind me. It eats crap daily, I mean the bloody thing has started crashing out on 3000x5000pixel canvases at 300PPI, how pathetic is that? My poor Bamboo is starved, and I don't want to torture my Cintiq 22HD when I finally order it. Even Oblivion and Minecraft are running into Out Of Memory crashes, this thing just can't keep up. It's old and beaten.

I'm getting a list of prices and specs NOW, because when new market parts come out later, now I still have a baseline established. It might not make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. Maybe it's because I'm an Aspy, maybe I'm just odd. It's just how I work. If you think I'm wasting my time, then that's your opinion. In my opinion what I'm doing does have a logical point. In my opinion this is necessary. I like my shiny toys, but they must also be functional. No point in a golden paperweight. If you could see the kind of abuse I put this thing through, running servers, building a game, working on 3D models, textures, the whole nine, you'd see why I need such a high spec 'toy'. I may only be sixteen but I'm not some moron. For the most part I do know what I'm doing, I'm just looking for second opinions on some parts and I feel like I missed a few things on the list. That's all. I don't want to deal with lag, freezeups, hangs, or other BS. I'm more software oriented but htat doesn't make me a total idiot when it comes to hardware. I'm just attempting to establish a baseline.