cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H2o-Reactor build log

Nephelim
Level 7
Hello RoG!
It has become time for me to start a little thread for my build. I've always had a keen interest in computers going from Commadores and Amigas to PC. I've hit the stage where I'm going from from school and parties to serious jobs and responasbilites and this was the best time to end an era, wich an epic build.
At first I wasn't planning on doing a build log, but after realizing there was a huge interest from my friends I figured, why not! Since I've gotten alot of help from the community here It was a no brainer to have a log here (and over at Sweclockers). Im not a professional photgrapher so sometimes I use my cellphone, other times my transformer pad, but most of the time I have access to my girlfriends system camera. Pics are then put in Photoshop for some "touching up", sometimes increase focus, highlight colors or increase contrast.

After a nice tax refund and some hard work I now present H2o-Reactor!

It's a dual loop configuration with hopefully 2 suddle colorthemes, depending on how it looks with lightning etc. For one loop i want silver and blue for the other i want black and red.

Now for the magic, components!

Computer parts
Chassi: Corsair 900D
PSU: Be-quiet! Dark power pro p10 1200w
CPU: Intel core i7 4930k
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV black edition
RAM: 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
OS disks: 2x Corsair Force 3 i Raid-0
Storage: 3x Western Digital Red 2Tb
GPU 3x EVGA Titan black edition SC i Tri-SLI

Watercooling
Fans: 22x Be-quiet! Silentwings 2 120mm och 1x silentwings 2 140mm
Radiators: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS xt45 480, 1x Alphacool NexXxoS xt45 240 och 1st 1st Alphacool NexXxoS st30 240
Pumps: 2x EK-D5 Vario Motor
Pumpmod: 2x Bitspower acaetal top och 2st Bitspower shining silver mod
Reservoirs: 2x Bitspower 250ml
CPU-block EK supremacy clean CSQ
Chipset-block: EK-FB kit asus R4BE acetal+nickel
GPU-block: EK-FC780 ti acetal+nickel
GPU-backplate EK-FC780 ti black
Bitspower Crystal link acrylic tubing
Bitspower fittings: So many fittings that I've lost count, a whole bunch of 90 degree, 45 degree adapters, extenders and compressionfittings.
Tubing: I've yet to find a brand I like, I tried Tygon and Masterkleer so far and have no orderd primflex hoping a plasteciser free tube will saticfy me.

Other:

Light: red and whit
Sleeving: MDPC red, black and white
Chassimod: Coldzero plexi mods
Reservoir holder
4x Swiftech 8 way PWM splitters
Akasa pwm 4 pin extenders
Gelid 4pin mini till normal 4pin
Phobya 7M/w thermal pads
Mx4 kylpasta

From watching others and their buildlogs, the first thing I realized is that I have to have a collection photo of everything:
28 REPLIES 28

Antronman
Level 10
I can already see the lusciousness.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Sweet jeebus!! you musta got one helluva tax return for that pile of hardware :cool:

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Sweet jeebus!! you musta got one helluva tax return for that pile of hardware :cool:

I work alot when not spending the rest of my time at the university 🙂

The tax refund was only a small piece of the total ofcourse, but it got me going with all the watercooling components, and once you start its imposible to stop haha

Nephelim wrote:
once you start its imposible to stop haha
- Nephelim, 2014

Anyways, I can really see a serious build coming out of this.

Just a tip, use solid tubing to connect between GPUs. Makes life so much easier.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

abvolt
Level 11
Why not use a ek fc terminal for the vga's, also in you're list I didn't see a fan controller for that many fans you really want one. Looks like you'll have fun with build ..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Antronman wrote:
- Nephelim, 2014

Anyways, I can really see a serious build coming out of this.
Just a tip, use solid tubing to connect between GPUs. Makes life so much easier.

Im going to use crystal link between the GPUs, in a paralell config for the looks

abvolt wrote:
Why not use a ek fc terminal for the vga's, also in you're list I didn't see a fan controller for that many fans you really want one. Looks like you'll have fun with build ..

I dont like the looks of a EK-FC bridge, so thats why im going with hard acryllic 🙂

I dont have a fan controller no, might get one in the future. I've been experiementing with the swiftech 8way PWM splitters and I found that I can run them of my motherboard. So before I tore everything down again I had 10 fans running from the CPU header, with fans getting its power from the PSU.

I have an 4 pin adapter for wich i hope I can make it possible for the GPUs to regulate the fan speed themselves aswell.

abvolt wrote:

So my theory for letting my GPUs control the fan speed on the rads has failed and I'm going to invest in a fan controller wich wont be visible from the front. I'm going to hide it backwards in the 5,25" compartment.

So I've added a aquaero to my wishlist for my 30th birthday wich is in a week along with 2 watertempsensors 🙂

Nephelim
Level 7
For the first update, all you get are some more pics of hardware

My first stop was unpacking and rinsing the radiators from gunk and crap left over from production, I used the warm water and shake method before pouring it in a white boul to see if gunk came out. Problem was there was no end to the gunk!
After som headscratching I realized that every time i put the stopplug in some paint would come of the threads inside the hole of the radiator. Why Alphacool put pain on it in the first place is beyond me, but problem solved and gunk the flakes stoped coming. They are now drying after the final rinses with distilled water.

While they are drying I unpacked the harddrives. The storage drives where bought on sale last year and have been laying around waiting since, the SSDs are from an older build and is one of the things I would like to replace, but got to save some work for the future, right?

Im a fan of theese fans?
A little side note about the fans, while unpacking them I noticed not every box contained the voltageadapter wich gives 5v, 7v or 12v. Since its PWM fans I wont be using them anyway, but out of 23 fans i got 6 of the adapters.

As stated in my first post, I lost count on all the fittings I bought. I went through a lot of thoughts wich has hurt the wallet a bit, but the first wave of fittings that arrived gave me crystal link adapters and a whole pile of 90degree and 45 degree compression fittings. I had a few problems with the company I used so alot of angry mails were exchanged but its all been sorted out with them. I also found another company wich I hope is more problem free, located in my own country aswell 🙂

The second order I had to do gave me some taps and tubing, It also spawned the idea of using crystal link between the CPU and MB blocks so alot of 90 degree adapters where orderd. The ones that gets left over will probably be resold. The 3 bags of fittings in the picture does not represent all either, it was taken after there where already 15 or more fittings already mounted in the case. Should provide a nice overview tho.
I’ve never tried other brands of fittings either, but so far I havn’t had a single leaking.

All hail the King

Time for another update while the GF forces me to watch Eurovision, this time its sleeving time.
This process was a long one, and I've been at it for quite some time. I cant feel my fingertips and I have so many burnwounds its ridcoulus.

I like the personal touch on the envelope, inside were all the goodies 🙂

At first I was planning to do the sleeving with heatshrinks visible, so I orderd them in all the colors to match the sleeving red, black and white. However I soon realized that going without was so much more better looking, more painful and a PITA 😕
I lost track on how many times I melted it together, cut the shrink and pushed the pin down only to get sleeve to detach and slip up. I soon got the hang of this and was able to continue at a faster pace.

I started with the 24 pin

This is how it looked halfway, NOTE: I have never sleeved in my entire life!

All done!

The next cable that was a PITA was the 8+4+4 pin. As you can see there are alot of cables that shares pin.

This is the end reult, as you can see I had to use heatshrink at the connector on the PSU side. It's only been done to the cables that shares pin in order to fit the sleeving. If there is an easier way for this any pointers is appretiated.

Closeup...

Due to lack of some parts, I was at one point just sitting on my hands basicly, so I decided to sleeve the I/O cables. I have come to regret this due to the fact that the pwr, reset etc became difficult to manage. This is how it turned out tho 🙂

The last thing I sleeved was the PCI-E cables. The picture shows one cable that is done, 1 cable that got its original sleeve removed and 1 that is completly original. As you can see I also switched out the PCI-E connectors to black

I also sleeved the cables to the pumps, but more on that laters. Next time I'll put some stuff inside the chassi. Stay tuned and thank you for checking my log out this update 🙂