cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus PB287Q upscaling ?

Orduu
Level 7
Does Asus PB287Q have some kind of built in UHD upscaling feature like Samsung U28D590D. I am worried how old low resolution games including emulators will look on 4k monitor.
23 REPLIES 23

X-ROG
Level 15
It will definitely upscale lower resolutions and it has ASUS VividPixel which will do some sharpening and I was told there's 5 sharpness levels to choose from - but I need to double check that and whether it can do 1:1 scaling with our product manager. 1:1 will give you a smaller image in the middle of your display while keeping the PPI the same, but few displays offer it as it's not an often requested feature.

Grab your fist of salt to anyone claiming "prevents image degradation". Such an absolutist claim is..., well, even professional Photoshop cannot prevent some image quality loss upscaling images because you're always approximating what it should be missing, and with moving images that's even harder.

If you're dealing with TV content it's compressed, so it's easier to 'fill in the gaps' and there's always an element of smoothing in the h.264/MPEG2 compression algorithm anyway. PC/Gaming devices send display data losslessly and unless the graphics card is applying post-processing shader effects like FXAA it will look sharp to the point of jagged, so on-the-fly upscaling difficulty is amplified. That's just the short of the whole situation for you 😉

Orduu
Level 7
1:Okay so I am waiting for response from product manager. I want to know how upscaling for low resolution games is working in this monitor ,if it can do 1:1 scaling and about sharpness levels. Also if it has 1:1 scaling will it work in windowed emulators or emulators in general ?
2: Does it have any anti-glare coating ?

Orduu wrote:
1:Okay so I am waiting for response from product manager. I want to know how upscaling for low resolution games is working in this monitor ,if it can do 1:1 scaling and about sharpness levels. Also if it has 1:1 scaling will it work in windowed emulators or emulators in general ?
2: Does it have any anti-glare coating ?

1) emulators - entirely down to your PC. Monitors just accepts whatever DP inputs.

2) I will check. I haven't seen one in the flesh sorry.

Thanks but also check if it has 1:1 scaling and sharpness levels.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
1) emulators - entirely down to your PC. Monitors just accepts whatever DP inputs.

2) I will check. I haven't seen one in the flesh sorry.

Thanks but also check if it has 1:1 scaling and sharpness levels.

Orduu
Level 7
Any news regarding my questions ?

X-ROG
Level 15
It does offer 1:1 pixel mapping
It does not have an anti-glare coating, it has a 25% haze polarizer like normal monitors.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
It does offer 1:1 pixel mapping
It does not have an anti-glare coating, it has a 25% haze polarizer like normal monitors.

What about VividPixel sharpness levels ? Does it have multiple sharpness levels ?

Anyone ?