Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed - Asus-based System Meltdown

Extra_Fox
Level 7
I'm in need of some serious guidance.

TL;DR
New, non-overclocked system crashed hard during a game; constant BSODs followed; wiped the system clean and now I can't reinstall Windows due to BSODs. I suspect hardware failure of the Motherboard.

Any and all advice will be welcomed and followed! 😄

Long Version
About a month ago I got my new system together and it had been running without a single major incident since that time. Up until last week when, while playing a game, the system suddenly froze and wouldn't respond. My previous PC did this occasionally and hard reset followed by some complaints from Windows about not being properly shut down was the worst of it. With this system though I was greeted with a BSOD within a few minutes of the restart and this continued to happen with every reset.

I couldn't really do much to the system before the next Blue-screen so it was extremely frustrating to try and troubleshoot. I was able to get into Safe Mode without networking, but I didn't learn a lot from the Blue-screen logs, mostly that something was impacting NTOSKRNL.exe. A couple of the crash logs indicated something about TCP/IP faulting. Unfortunately, I didn't think to keep any of these before plunging forward.

So I decided I would just start over completely and reinstall Windows thinking that while I'd like to know what went wrong at least starting over would get me back up and runnning. And this is where I'm stuck because every time I try to install Windows it gets to the point where it should expand the files and simply produces a Blue screen.

So where things sit now I've got the system down to the processor, motherboard, boot disk, CDROM and the power supply. I suspect the problem is with the Motherboard given that that I believe processor or power supply issues would thwart some of the problem solving steps I've done thus far.

Troubleshooting

• Tried launching various Linux Recovery tools – all of them failed to load.
  • Launched Mini Windows XP from Hirem Boot CD – That appears to run okay and I was able to retrieve some data from the boot disk.
  • Removed the video card and all additional drives apart from the boot disk – still produced Blue-screen errors.
  • Tested the system disk for errors – No errors.
  • Tried installing Windows on an alternate disk I knew was good – BSOD at same point in install.
  • Repeatedly cleared the CMOS, especially between hardware configuration changes.
  • Tested the RAM with Memtest; paired and individually – No errors.

System Details

• Asus Sabertooth Z87
  • i7 4770k
  • Corsair Dominator (2x 16GB, 1866, XMP Profile #1)
  • Asus nVidia GTX 770
  • Samsung 840 EVO (system drive)
  • Corsair AX760 Power Supply
  • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
How are you installing windows? maybe your CD or iso is bad? Maybe try downloading a fresh iso and making a bootable pendrive?

I would also take the processor out and reseat it and check socket pins are all OK...

Hmmm just noticed the RAM 2x16GB....is that two separate kits of memory? If so I would split then up by serial number and try this with only one kit or maybe one stick in the recommended slot at F5 defaults...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
How are you installing windows? maybe your CD or iso is bad? Maybe try downloading a fresh iso and making a bootable pendrive?

I would also take the processor out and reseat it and check socket pins are all OK...

I'm using a DVD to install Windows, it is one that I've used on my previous system and now on this one. Visibly the disk looks okay, but I do intend to go with a Pendrive for the next install so hopefully I can remove any problems with the DVD or the drive.

I will inspect the processor pins, but it has been running flawlessly for the last month. All the same I suspect I'm going to strip everything down anyway.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmmm just noticed the RAM 2x16GB....is that two separate kits of memory? If so I would split then up by serial number and try this with only one kit or maybe one stick in the recommended slot at F5 defaults...

Chino wrote:
Start by running Memtest86+.

I have run one complete Memtest86+ cycle on both sticks of memory paired, then again on each stick individually. There were no errors in any of the three runs. The only thing that I could try again is running it with the BIOS set to factory default. As tested, I ran it using XMP Profile #1 because that profile sets the correct timings for the RAM.

Thanks for the advice thus far and please continue to advise as I really would like to have my system back up and running again.

IM2L844
Level 12
BIOS version? From perusing the net, it looks like a lot of people had similar as well as various other strange problems with version 1007.

CMOS battery starting to go bad can cause some bizarre behaviors sometimes (other than the usual suspect of the computer's clock not keeping correct time). Quick, easy and cheap to check.

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and initiate the RMA process with ASUS. You can always cancel if you figure out a solution to the problem.

I sympathize, but I'm all out of ideas for now.

IM2L844 wrote:
BIOS version? From perusing the net, it looks like a lot of people had similar as well as various other strange problems with version 1007.

CMOS battery starting to go bad can cause some bizarre behaviors sometimes (other than the usual suspect of the computer's clock not keeping correct time). Quick, easy and cheap to check.

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and initiate the RMA process with ASUS. You can always cancel if you figure out a solution to the problem.

I sympathize, but I'm all out of ideas for now.

When the problem started I was running 1803, but I upgraded to 1901 during the process (something I forgot to mention). Disappointingly, I saw no difference in behavior between the two BIOS versions.

I certainly can get another Battery, I'll do that tomorrow and give that a shot. I certainly would be a cheap fix if that was all that was wrong.

Thanks for the advice on the RMA, that sounds like the best avenue at least to start down. I'm certainly getting no use of the system at this point so having the motherboard out for repair isn't going to cause problems.

Extra_Fox
Level 7
Quick update: after two trips through the RMA process ASUS has failed to fix my motherboard.

I've spent several hundred more dollars on new components for my system trying to isolate the problem. I have returned nearly every component of this system to the manufacturers with the exception of the Intel Processor, Corsair power supply, and ASUS graphic card. Those three haven't gone back because the testing I've done has revealed no cause to be concerned with them.

After all this testing and outright replacement there has nothing left of my system that can be the issue. Yet after the most recent return of the motherboard I re-assembled the system (on a anti-static mat), powered it up, and was greeted with the same blue screen errors once I tried re-installing Windows.

I get no more detail from ASUS about what they've fixed apart from saying a "component has been replaced". I now find myself so absolutely frustrated with this entire business because I thought I was buying a good product from a good company and I'm beginning to seriously second guess that choice. Not to mention the fact that it's now been well over 60 days since the failure.

I've logged another ticket with ASUS requesting a complete replacement of the board and I'm hopeful that after the time, effort, and money I've spent trying to resolve this issue that they might see it fit to make this right.

Extra Fox wrote:
Quick update: after two trips through the RMA process ASUS has failed to fix my motherboard.

I've spent several hundred more dollars on new components for my system trying to isolate the problem. I have returned nearly every component of this system to the manufacturers with the exception of the Intel Processor, Corsair power supply, and ASUS graphic card. Those three haven't gone back because the testing I've done has revealed no cause to be concerned with them.

After all this testing and outright replacement there has nothing left of my system that can be the issue. Yet after the most recent return of the motherboard I re-assembled the system (on a anti-static mat), powered it up, and was greeted with the same blue screen errors once I tried re-installing Windows.

I get no more detail from ASUS about what they've fixed apart from saying a "component has been replaced". I now find myself so absolutely frustrated with this entire business because I thought I was buying a good product from a good company and I'm beginning to seriously second guess that choice. Not to mention the fact that it's now been well over 60 days since the failure.

I've logged another ticket with ASUS requesting a complete replacement of the board and I'm hopeful that after the time, effort, and money I've spent trying to resolve this issue that they might see it fit to make this right.

I feel your pain.

I have a Intel 4770K, Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 and a Asus Maximus VI Extreme. As soon as my hardware came, my motherboard was dead so I RMA. I had to RMA the video card three times because I got BSOD as soon as I load a game, ie: Assasin's Creed Black Flag, and I'm unable to run any high-end games.

The funny thing is that my video card WORKS with any other board except the one I own and every single different card works on my motherboard except the one I bought.

I asked Asus to TEST my video card with my current motherboard, I called, I escalated the ticket, technical inbox, I did every single thing and they never ever made the troubleshooting I request even though I spent around 125.00 dollars in shipping.

So basically I have a 2500.00 PC that I'm unable to use unless I pay for a new video-card, how that sounds?
ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME LGA 1150 Intel Z87 | Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 | ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB | G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB | ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS | Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme (CLW0224) | Rosewill HERCULES-1600 1600W | ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please try to swap out your CPU - I have had the exact same behaviour from a 4770K that refused to read or access any NFTS hard drives.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DekonX
Level 9
Honestly I would pick up a cheap board off newegg for your processor and see if you can replicate the problem on the new board. If you cant your processor is fine. If it however happens on the new board as well. Chances are your processor got cooked and GL trying to convince intel that it wasnt over clocked....

Honestly though processors do DIE out of the blue sometimes with little to no warning. It could have been on its way out or possibly faulty from the factory the over heating of it during a gaming session could have pushed it over the edge. That being said, before blaming asus while im not saying they are by any means perfect and its NOT their fault I would also test the processor on a different board to see if the problem persists. I myself have several "test" parts laying around for AMD since its mainly what I deal with since I do build and sell people computers. Its nice to have around. That means when a customer brings me their computer saying this is what its doing. While I CAN see it do it on their system to further diagnose the issue sometimes I need to bring it down to a parts level.

That being said I ALSO have spare processors laying around that I have swapped into customers computers that solved the problem. This gives the customer the ability to take their computer home and use it during the RMA process which can take a week or two in some cases.
AMD 9590 (4.7ghz)
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
12Gig DDR3 1333
XFX R9 280x
Corsair RM850
Nanoxia Deep Silence 6